To switch or not to switch?

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Joined
Nov 27, 2014
Messages
408
Location
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Display Name
Wrench978
Ok, here's my dilemma. A few weeks ago, I had my first flight with an instructor out of a small but good school. Since then, we have had 4-6 feet of snow and the field wasn't cleared. The instructor told me I'm going to have to wait until spring to actually get started because of the snow. the reason this is an issue for me is obviously I want to fly, and I could go to a nearby airport that has a plowed runway, but ultimately, I want to do the majority of my training with the original instructor. Both he and the flight school were honorable mentions in AOPA's flight training magazine for best in the nation. Is it in bad taste to do 4-5 hours at one school and then switch back once the field is clear? I plan on calling my instructor and talking to him, but I figured I would see what you guys thought...

Thanks
 
No it's not in bad form, but its counter productive and likley will cost you more hours in the end.

Have you tried to talk to the local muni about getting a plow on the field a couple times a day?

As for the AOPA poll, I wouldn't think too much about it, I know some of those schools and also know some better schools not even on the list.

Just find a experienced pilot who is also a CFI, who you get along with, rent the cheapest plane you two can fit in, fly as much as you can (at least twice a week) and knock your license out.
 
Changing schools ,often causes you to fly my hours to attain the same result. Each instructor is going to want to review the basics with you at your expense. If the school you want is at a field that doesn't get plowed,how serious can they be.
 
The problem with plowing it now is that they waited too long. There is now over 4 feet of snow on the grass strip, so it would take some heavy machinery to move it. I have heard that they had the equipment to deal with it storm by storm, but ownership recently changed and nothing got sorted out. Oops. We have been getting hammered in New England the past month...
 
Specify where you area... we have some good folks around NE that might have helpful suggestions depending on where you are based.
 
Ahh grass strip, forgetadboutit

Just find another school, or better yet, get that instructor to freelance with you :yes:
 
A grass strip in New England? Sounds like Hampton Airfield. See if they can put skis on those Cubs!
 
Last edited:
I lived in Nashua (ASH) for the "Blizzard of '78", and came back to BOS for a visit during the "Snowmegdan of 2015", will I ever learn? Over 50 inches of snow in the last week and a half, and over 2ft in the last 48hrs. Leaving tonight, a day late as all flights were CNX on Monday, back to sunny 75F weather in LAS.
 
A grass strip in New England? Sounds like Hampton Airfield. See if they can put skies on those Cubs!

Yes, 7b3. The other airport is 2b2, plum island. I am going to the ground school over there now. I don't quite fit in a cub ;-) the 172 is snug enough for me. Lol
 
As stated, you will end up paying more $$ by switching schools. You will do X number of hours at one, but then when you switch that new instructor will want to see what you know and dont know then start a new foundation from there.
 
Flying now or waiting 3 months is an easy decision for me. If you're wrapped up worry about the hours then maybe wait and spend your time now on the oral prep part.
 
Is it possible for you and your instructor to go rent a plane at a paved strip?

Also, another option is for you to take the time to study the material.
I have a different situation, My instructor goes south for the winter. But the time has been well used to catch up and even get ahead of the lessons. I used to time to tighten my knowledge and even take the written while he is away. ( working on Instrument)
Now that I'm passed the written and still have another 5 weeks before my instructor is back I'm using the time to read a book on the operations of the Garmin 400's that are in our club planes.
Point is there are other things you could be doing.
If you really feel the urge to fly take a one day lesson with another instructor and go into it knowing exactly what you want to tackle in that lesson and lead the lesson. ( today I want to work on ......Please) If you allow another instructor to lead the lesson he has to figure out where you are currently. Be honest, I want to fly but my field is snowed over and I don't really want to change schools/instructors, so today I just want to work on this , this and this.....You are a paying customer and although they want to have all your lessons, they will take what you are willing to give them. If they are not sympathetic to your situation, they may not be the right school.

For example, last week I needed to sit down with someone to go over some practice questions before I went into my written. My instructor is away so I booked with another school and when I made the appointment on the phone, I was clear I wanted to go over certain types of questions and I wanted a two hour time slot. They were receptive prior to my visit they gave me 12 hour access to their online question base. After reviewing that database I was able to pull out the ID numbers of the exact questions I wanted to review. When I went in for the lesson, no time was lost looking for material, we simply pulled up the questions and went right into it. A very productively spent 140 dollars.
Good Luck,
 
Last edited:
I actively teach in the Boston area at a field that is very good about plowing. I've often given the advice "Come back in the spring"

I want what's best for my students. Between snow, snow removal, ice on airplanes, icing conditions, and general cold that beats up the airplanes, there can be many impediments to effective learning.

Hampton field is a really amazing place. Stick it out with them. For now, get some study materials and just study.
 
I actively teach in the Boston area at a field that is very good about plowing. I've often given the advice "Come back in the spring"

I want what's best for my students. Between snow, snow removal, ice on airplanes, icing conditions, and general cold that beats up the airplanes, there can be many impediments to effective learning.

Hampton field is a really amazing place. Stick it out with them. For now, get some study materials and just study.


How does the cold beat up your aircraft?
 
To name a few: gyros seem to spin up longer, inner tube rubber is more susceptible to cracking, water gets in tight ares then freezes, and salt gets on everything.

Shouldn't have gyro issues after a proper preheat

We don't use salt on our airports up here, you should talk to your airport manager if your winter crew is using corrosive salt on the airport.

Never seen a crack in a tire ether up here.


Seems at a airport where they clear the runways properly, and with a pilot who does a proper pre-heat, it shouldn't be a issue when it comes to damage on the aircraft.
 
You can't preheat the whole airplane unless you have a heated hangar.
 
Standard preheat

Heating tube into the cowl with a blanket on top and covering the inlets.

Mini space heater in the cabin right on the floor by the panel.

Turn it on, come back and your engine is warm, the cabin and instruments are warm.
 
Shouldn't have gyro issues after a proper preheat

We don't use salt on our airports up here, you should talk to your airport manager if your winter crew is using corrosive salt on the airport.

Never seen a crack in a tire ether up here.


Seems at a airport where they clear the runways properly, and with a pilot who does a proper pre-heat, it shouldn't be a issue when it comes to damage on the aircraft.

This isn't AK. I'm not likely to get the state agency to change their ways, as GA is generally seen as a luxury here. There aren't enough pre heaters, heated hangars, etc to go around.

For most, just waiting for March to come around is more efficient than getting bureaucracies to change. It'd be different if the airport were a vital supply line into the town.
 
They are not sposed to use normal corrosive road salt on airfields, that would be something that would put that airport on my "no go" list, paid too much for my aircraft to let some yahoo spraying road salt destroy it.
 
I am going to stick it out and start flying in spring (or late summer, at the rate we are piling up the snow...). that will give me a chance to save up a few more bucks too. Thanks for the input everyone!
 
Ok, here's my dilemma. A few weeks ago, I had my first flight with an instructor out of a small but good school. Since then, we have had 4-6 feet of snow and the field wasn't cleared. The instructor told me I'm going to have to wait until spring to actually get started because of the snow. the reason this is an issue for me is obviously I want to fly, and I could go to a nearby airport that has a plowed runway, but ultimately, I want to do the majority of my training with the original instructor. Both he and the flight school were honorable mentions in AOPA's flight training magazine for best in the nation. Is it in bad taste to do 4-5 hours at one school and then switch back once the field is clear? I plan on calling my instructor and talking to him, but I figured I would see what you guys thought...

Thanks

Well, try a median approach? Your CFI is screwed right now as well. Why don't you go to the local plowed airport with your instructor and arrange a plane to use there until the other airplane become available.
 
Back
Top