To Prime or Not

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I'm reworking several parts from a Beech A23 1965. I will either sell these parts or hold them as spare parts for my plane.

Should I prime the interior of these parts or acid etch and alodine the parts or both?

I was thinking of an epoxy primer after acid etch and alodine. The inside of these parts have never been primed.

I'm reworking several parts from a Beech A23 1965. I will either sell these parts or hold them as spare parts for my plane.

Should I prime the interior of these parts or acid etch and alodine the parts or both?

I was thinking of an epoxy primer after acid etch and alodine. The inside of these parts have never been primed.

It depends on what parts they are. Why are you doing anything to them for storage? It sounds like just aluminum parts? Best way to store aluminum stuff is clean and dry. It forms a stable oxide shell that protects it better than nearly anything else.

If I were buying parts, I'd prefer them bare so as to inspect them better, know what I was buying.

It depends on what parts they are. Why are you doing anything to them for storage? It sounds like just aluminum parts? Best way to store aluminum stuff is clean and dry. It forms a stable oxide shell that protects it better than nearly anything else.

Bull hockey, When aircraft grade aluminum of 2024 or 6061 is properly etched, dried, then alodined they will never corrode to protect them selves when stored properly, That is why we developed the process.
and that is what should be completed here.

Last edited:
If I were buying parts, I'd prefer them bare so as to inspect them better, know what I was buying.

A friend of mine said the same thing.

Bull hockey, When aircraft grade aluminum of 2024 or 6061 is properly etched, dried, then alodined they will never corrode to protect them selves when stored properly, That is why we developed the process.
and that is what should be completed here.

Acid etch and alodine it is

A friend of mine said the same thing.

Acid etch and alodine it is

Waste of money on parts you will most likely not use or sell, but it won't hurt. I worked in a hangar that had racks and racks of aluminum parts that were removed from planes and some had been there since the 50s. Nothing was 'treated' with anything and anything you picked up was just fine.

Waste of money on parts you will most likely not use or sell, but it won't hurt. I worked in a hangar that had racks and racks of aluminum parts that were removed from planes and some had been there since the 50s. Nothing was 'treated' with anything and anything you picked up was just fine.

I'd go with that, unless you're storing the parts on a beach shore :D

If I was buying parts I'd probably want the stuff bare so I could inspect and later treat it as I needed.

I don't think I'm wasting my money. Most of the parts will fit my plane, wings, all flight controls, landing gear. The plane has been tied down outside in Juneau for 15 years, the last 8 with no maintenance.

Everything looks pretty good but it showing it's age. Currently I'm working on the Stabalator and Trim tab. They look good but do require a few patches to repair small areas of damage or corrosion. I plan to go through Flaps, Ailerons, and Rudder next.

I will strip the paint, acid etch and alodine the parts inside and out. Epoxy prime the outside. Believe it or not there are a few Beech owners that keep the older Musketeer's up and running and from time to time need parts.

I built a 20x10 covered area open on 3 sides to store the parts. Out of direct contact with weather but still subject to the elements.

I don't think I'm wasting my money. Most of the parts will fit my plane, wings, all flight controls, landing gear. The plane has been tied down outside in Juneau for 15 years, the last 8 with no maintenance.

Everything looks pretty good but it showing it's age. Currently I'm working on the Stabalator and Trim tab. They look good but do require a few patches to repair small areas of damage or corrosion. I plan to go through Flaps, Ailerons, and Rudder next.

I will strip the paint, acid etch and alodine the parts inside and out. Epoxy prime the outside. Believe it or not there are a few Beech owners that keep the older Musketeer's up and running and from time to time need parts.

I built a 20x10 covered area open on 3 sides to store the parts. Out of direct contact with weather but still subject to the elements.

They would buy them as they are. It's no big deal, just unnecessary, you won't be adding a dime of resale value to the parts. If you paint the parts, you raise suspicion that you are masking corrosion potentially making them harder to sell. Alodyne isn't cheap, walls may be cheaper.

Last edited:
Back