Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Enjoy. :devil:

circuit_diagram.png

I love the comment on the right side about EE201

I love the comment on the right side about EE201

The mouseover text was "I just caught myself idly trying to work out what that resistor mass would actually be, and realized I had self-nerd-sniped."

:D

It's just like any electronics device though. Once you let the smoke out it won't be any good to anyone. :D

It's just like any electronics device though. Once you let the smoke out it won't be any good to anyone. :D

If it smokes, just replace it with a higher rated part.

Works for me. :cheerswine:

To be EE or not to be EE, that is not a question but a life choice--glad I chose correctly.

N5976Q -- BSEE, MSEE, PhDEE, EEPE

The mouseover text was "I just caught myself idly trying to work out what that resistor mass would actually be, and realized I had self-nerd-sniped."

This does make my inner nerd come out.

Is there a way of figuring out the resistor mass short of simulation? (Aka, inject some "current", compute the voltage drops, apply KCL, iterate until convergence?)

Chris

This does make my inner nerd come out.

Is there a way of figuring out the resistor mass short of simulation? (Aka, inject some "current", compute the voltage drops, apply KCL, iterate until convergence?)

Chris

Geeze... I had to do that by hand in college.... doesn't seem that long ago (we even had E-lectronic calculators.

(shakes head)

Geeze... I had to do that by hand in college.... doesn't seem that long ago (we even had E-lectronic calculators.

(shakes head)
Ditto and those were a Royal PITA!

I redrew the circuit and started the calculation and then I realized that I hated doing that stuff.

Did anyone notice it also had a flux capacitor?

(shakes head)

Let me clarify -- I'm not asking "do you need a computer to solve this"? I'm asking "for a circuit which can't be reduced through a number of series and parallel reductions (which is what I recall learning and had to do by hand in undergrad), is the only solution to assign numbers, solve, and iterate until a fixed point is reached, or is there something more clever than can be done?"

I should know that what I really wanted to do was Google this. :) I found a online textbook which explains my question, and the many many answers. I now have been reminded of how I once knew loop current analysis and the branch current method. From reading this, it looks like solving this circuit would give you a huge NxN system of equations to solve, which would be a real pain to solve by hand. So I have to admit, I'd just use spice (or equivalent) to solve this in the real world if I was still doing EE stuff. :)

Chris

Back