To LAND at a Naval Air Station? Ooh-ooh!

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The Great State of Maine Air Show
http://www.greatstateofmaineairshow.com/
is coming up in a month. At our EAA Chapter 87(oldest in Maine) meeting last night we learned that we have been asked if we'd like to have a booth/table in the big hangar. ALL were in favor. Better yet, we might be permitted to have one -- perhaps two -- aircraft on display. If so, we need to decide who gets to fly in to the usual off-limits NASB. I'm going to be working the booth/table for most of the couple days.

HR

(Photo added is old; doesn't include the new and huge hangar built to hold the Navy's next line of a/c[IF the BRAC doesn't downsize or close the Base])

Last edited:
Here at Whidbey any club member, and or retired military, can now get a facility permit to get gas at the club, That means we get to play taxi dodge with the P-3, EA6B, and the C-9.

Nice to have a GA pilot, (Apache owner) as the base Ops "O"

A story about landing at a NAS some years back. Happened to a frend of mine, names excluded.

Flying 172 along FL coast headed from current post home to New Orleans to see family.

Coastal storms crop up, boldness of pilot fades quickly, he looks on sectional and sees nearest airport is a NAS, calls, declares, cleared to land, met by several armed SP.

They ask who he is, he tells them he is "Captain Jones." True, too.

Per OD, treated like a... well, like a Captain. Set up w/ nice BOQ, tended nicely to, next day on his way in fair skies.

Says he could not understand why they were treating him so well, at first, then suddenly realized: Captain.

Of courtse, his Captain's commission was in the Air Force.

By the time he realized the mismatch, he could not think of any easy way to 'splain.

Funny.

NC19143 said:
Here at Whidbey any club member, and or retired military, can now get a facility permit to get gas at the club, That means we get to play taxi dodge with the P-3, EA6B, and the C-9.

It seems to me that The Navy Flying Club at NAS Brunswick may have some civilian members(who are civilian employees at the Base); but same can only fly the Flying Club's plane from or to the Base. Any civilian member's personally-owned a/c is not permitted on Base (I think). One of my CFI was teaching at the Flying Club; he charged me the same as he was allowed to charge Club members: $16.00 per hour.

HR

I fly to military base's a lot. Usually ferrying parts or our flight crews to our DC-10's. Always seems weird when I land there for some odd reason.:goofy: One cool place was Cherrypoint. Those military guys cracked me up. I asked one night at 2am where the restrooms were they they just pointed to the back of the Lear and said, "We dont see anything". So, at least I got to watch Harriers do night take offs and landings in front of me. I am sure they got a big laugh also.

Brent

Back