To kick or not to kick...

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
So, back in the olden days, I was taught to do the kick so that I had momentum moving away from the prop.

It's all good, however you get your kicks.

5 Instructors taught me the kick, the 6 th propped from behind.

We called it the leg swing, and it was a graceful maneuver.

The kick produced an unstoppable motion away from the prop, and I was taught to be at a slight angle, so the motion took me out of line of the plane, passenger side, shortest distance to safety.

I have propped 180 HP 4 cylinder tail draggers, and 215 HP trikes, in addition to lesser and less demanding engines. Trikes are easier to stay out of the arc, since it is vertical.

When the aircraft was not tied down, there was always a skilled person onboard, and the parking brake set.

At one time, I had a set of chocks with attached rope, for recovering after seating and buckling. That was a Cessna 150, 3 chocks. We had problems in severe cold weather with little crank time. Started on the first 2 tries, or hand prop it.

The J3's that I started in had no electrical system, so by hand was the only way.

Last edited:
I prefer to start from the front, with a pilot on the brakes in the plane. With that, I don't need a tie down or chocks...because there's a pilot in the plane. If there's not another qualified pilot around, I'll prop from the back, and use chock on one wheel. Always hold the left window rail.

If I'm flying and someone offers to prop the plane, I only accept if I know they're experienced at it.

When I prop from the front, I'm stepping back as I pull down, each time. I then count to myself "thousand one, thousand two" in my head, so I don't get into a rhythm of walking forward. Just me perhaps, but I wouldn't hand prop a 150+ hp tricycle gear plane. Charge the battery, fix the starter, not my thing to do. Unless maybe I were being chased by zombies.

I had a tailwheel for many years that required a hand prop...thanks @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe I really liked this video! I always chocked and tied down AND turned off the fuel, because it was my biggest worry that my plane might fly away pilotless. I sold the plane many years ago to the MAPS Air Museum (it was a war bug, 1942 Taylorcraft L2M). THE VERY FIRST TIME THEY STARTED IT, IT FLEW AWAY PILOTLESS!!!

Back