To Kenai: WWYD?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
What Would You Do?

Since the plane didn't sell, I've got these new cylinders in, I haven't taken a "road" trip since 2005, and I have friends in Kenai, I've decided this summer I am going to attempt to make my way up there in the Comanche. With almost 7 hours of fuel in the tanks, I'm going to head to Northwest Washington - possibly via Texas, New Mexico, and California - and so I don't have to deal with eAPIS and customs,(at least on the way there) launch from Bellingham or so, and head to Ketchikan.

I figure from Bellingham it would be fly up the east side of Vancouver Island past Port Hardy and up the coast near Bella Bella. Then, Prince Rupert is the next way point. I was thinking Finlayson Channel inside Princess Royal and Pitt Islands to get to Prince Rupert NDB. From there it's direct to Ketchikan.

Or would it be better to stay on the ocean side of Vancouver Island, in Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait to Prince Rupert?

From Ketchikan it's whether or not to basically follow V317-ish to Level Island VOR to Chatham Strait/Frederick Sound or T266 to Frederick Sound then up Chatham Strait to Peril Strait over Chicagof Island out the Lilianski Inlet and up the Coast to Yakutat.

Probably overnight in both Ketchikan and Yakutat - and definitely topped off fuel at both.

After Yakutat, it's follow the coast to Johnstone Point VOR and then over Prince Willam Sound and direct to Kenai - OR (it seems there's too many options) Kings Bay, up the valley to Kenai Lake, exit at Cooper Landing, and into Kenai.

Of course a lot of this will be dependent on the weather, because let's face it, a trip like this I am not going to want to fly in IMC. Not because of the terrain, but because I won't get to SEE the terrain. So, during the summer, what types of weather am I to expect? How many days should I expect to get stuck for in Ketchikan or Yakutat? Better to stay out over the open water and take advantage of class G, or am I safe to zip through the channels and islands without rounding a corner and seeing a wall of gray? How much weather do the glaciers produce?

What does Canada expect of me while VFR through their airspace. Do I need to be talking the whole time, or can I just go about my business with nary a word once away from Vancouver?

Last edited:
The coast weather can be good or it can be awful. The change can happen quickly. What would I do? I'd come up over land.

Glaciers don't make weather. The ocean makes weather.

When you going? Want a partner? Dead serious!

Sometime between the end of June and Labor Day Weekend. Are you sure the world can handle the both of us together for that long? We may end it!

The coast weather can be good or it can be awful. The change can happen quickly. What would I do? I'd come up over land.

Glaciers don't make weather. The ocean makes weather.

Coming up over land isn't going to happen. I might head back through the Canadian plains but I'm not doing that in both directions. How quick is quick? Are we talking 15 minutes it can go from CAVU to clouds touching the waves? Or are we talking 2-3 hours. Can you see it moving in or does it just happen spontaneously?

Was up in Alaska last July,the weather was terrible along the coast for the week I was there. Also did the coastal cruise,inside passage three years ago in July and it rained for eight days. So I wish you luck on your trip.

Was up in Alaska last July,the weather was terrible along the coast for the week I was there. Also did the coastal cruise,inside passage three years ago in July and it rained for eight days. So I wish you luck on your trip.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. My parents went to AK last summer, and they had pretty cruddy weather. My sister went the next week and it was sunny. I hate to get out to Washington, just to turn around and come back, because the weather is going to be ****.

The beauty of Alaska is to not be in a hurry. Take your time and go where you can. The pace is slower there and very much missed by this cheechako. I think I have been gone long enough to have regained that term.

They have a mobile friendly version as well http://avcams.faa.gov/m/ ( I bookmark this address in my iPhone's browser http://avcams.faa.gov/m/map.php ) or get the AKAvCAMSLt app for the iPhone, which provides the same camera views quicker.

Keep in mind these camera views are nice when you have cell service. You won't have much of that enroute. And XM weather doesn't work in Alaska so don't count on that, either.

Last edited:
They have a mobile friendly version as well http://avcams.faa.gov/m/ ( I bookmark this address in my iPhone's browser http://avcams.faa.gov/m/map.php ) or get the AKAvCAMSLt app for the iPhone, which provides the same camera views quicker.

Keep in mind these camera views are nice when you have cell service. You won't have much of that enroute. And XM weather doesn't work in Alaska so don't count on that, either.

I'm not an XM'er or any on board weather guy. I generally keep my legs to 3 hours or so - or I should say my bladder keeps me to three hours legs - so I figure as long as the weather somewhat predictable over a 3 hour window I should be OK. I assume there's weather/cell service available at my points of landing. And if there is, I'm good for how I fly.

I'm a happy GDL39 3D owner because it DOES provide live weather while flying. I can't imagine not wanting it given the opportunity to see what lies ahead. I suspect your attitudes will change after your trip. This is a very big and often hostile place. I'll be interested to hear.

I'm a happy GDL39 3D owner because it DOES provide live weather while flying. I can't imagine not wanting it given the opportunity to see what lies ahead. I suspect your attitudes will change after your trip. This is a very big and often hostile place. I'll be interested to hear.

None of my trips do I ever have a schedule - or sometimes even a definite destination or route. I wing it, and if I have to hunker down for a day or two or three for weather, I do. If it takes me 4 days to get to Kenai from Bellingham, it takes 4 days. If I can do it in 1-2, that's just gravy.

Heck, sometimes it take me a week to go 150 miles!

Weather up here is ideal this time of year and makes a gentle transition back to total crap by November. There are bad days in spring and good days in fall but the general trend is predictable. Of course Alaskans have a name for people who predict the weather. "Fools". Have fun, fly prepared, and an aircraft 406ELT is much better than an PLB in Alaska. Feel free to contact me privately if I can help.

Heck, sometimes it take me a week to go 150 miles!

Weather up here is ideal this time of year and makes a gentle transition back to total crap by November. There are bad days in spring and good days in fall but the general trend is predictable. Of course Alaskans have a name for people who predict the weather. "Fools". Have fun, fly prepared, and an aircraft 406ELT is much better than an PLB in Alaska. Feel free to contact me privately if I can help.

Yeah, I know that routine. We have this thing called Lake Michigan just west of here that ruins any sort of weather prediction. I joke around that I only look at pastcasts for weather, as forecasts tend to be useless unless the barometer reads under 25 or over 32 inches. And as it gets closer I will probably hit you and a few other Alaskans up for some further advice.

Probably end of July/Early August after looking at the calendar and seeing when everyone else is taking vacation.

I hate to get out to Washington, just to turn around and come back, because the weather is going to be ****.

Don't be afraid, there are many things to do here while waiting for the weather to change.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Don't be afraid, there are many things to do here while waiting for the weather to change.

But I don't like coffee, Nirvana, or Soundgarden. . :D

But I don't like coffee, Nirvana, or Soundgarden. . :D
I like the coffee but the rest can pound sand.
Having lived in both WA and AK, they are almost interchangeable in many ways. WA is filled with wierd folks but so is AK, there are just different types of wierd.

I like the coffee but the rest can pound sand.
Having lived in both WA and AK, they are almost interchangeable in many ways. WA is filled with wierd folks but so is AK, there are just different types of wierd.

Have you done the Canada overflight from WA to Ketchikan?

I have not but many people I know have. It can be a very easy trip or it can be a weather nightmare with the need to set down in Canada. It can be done non stop if the weather cooperates. I have 2 or 3 plans in a drawer for when I get the chance and I've based those on other people's trips in either C172s or C182s.

I have not but many people I know have. It can be a very easy trip or it can be a weather nightmare with the need to set down in Canada. It can be done non stop if the weather cooperates. I have 2 or 3 plans in a drawer for when I get the chance and I've based those on other people's trips in either C172s or C182s.

This would be done in a Comanche. What's the procedure once clear of Vancouver/Victoria airspace? Are you talking to someone the whole time?

If i remember correctly each of the guys I know were talking with ATC the entire way. This eliminates the threat of not being considered an over flight. It is a 4 hour flight at 130kn GS from Bellingham to Ketchikan.

Read the book "14 Days To Alaska". It might give you some over-the-shoulder insight into the trip. I would lend you my kindle copy but the author hasn't enabled lending.

Good to know. They must have some strategically placed transmitters/receivers.

Read the book "14 Days To Alaska". It might give you some over-the-shoulder insight into the trip. I would lend you my kindle copy but the author hasn't enabled lending.

I also don't have a Kindle, so, there is that. But reading up on it takes all the adventure out of it. :D

Have you done the Canada overflight from WA to Ketchikan?

I Have, and you'd better plan on going IFR or over the top of weather. Jumping from BLI to ketch you have a 75% chance that the weather at Ketch, will not be as forecasted.
I would strongly suggest you give your self the option of landing at an airport in Canada.

Do the E-pass thing and be ready.
Land at Abbotsford and declare, (1-800-can-pass) then you have Prince Rupert B.C., and CarCross Yt, as alternates.

Go, you have picked the best time to get the best weather, have fun. tell us all about it as you go.

Today=
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USAK0125:1:US

Last edited:
+1 to Tom's post. I talked to one of the guys that did this flight and he was on an IFR flight plan but above a solid layer about half the way to Ketchikan. On the way back he had to set it down because of weather and was stuck for 2 days. I didn't ask where he landed but it was in July. Even though the weather cleared eventually on his way north, Ketchikan was racked with fog and low ceilings. It was very localized as far as he could recall.

Back