To KC for some BBQ pirep

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
We (my wife and 23yr old daughter) were looking for something fun to do, just an overnight, some good food and a little shopping and site seeing. We decided on Kansas City, I hadn't been there so I did a little research and picked the Country Club Plaza area. We stayed at the Country Club Plaza Marriott, which was nice and within easy walking distance of all the shops and dining at the plaza.

Flight down to KC from SWMN is about 2 hrs, so not bad at all. Shot an approach into KMKC runway 03, ceilings at about 1200' so a fun not stressful approach. KMKC has a small but nice GA ramp which is free, cheap self serve gas too, I think around $3 but I didn't need any so I didn't fill.

Country Club Plaza area is KC is nice, TONS of shops, you could easily spend an entire weekend and not hit them all. Also a lot of places to grab a bite to eat or a cold beer on a hot day. Almost all shops where open, some limited the number of people at a time so they had lines but most you could walk right in, many required a mask. I'm not a shopper, I'm a buyer, when I have something I want I go buy it so browsing stores is not my thing, the girls loved it though! I found a bar, O'Dowds, and had a couple beers while the girls did there thing.

Saturday evening we ate at Jack Stack BBQ, that was awesome, highly recommend! We all ate to much but I guess that's what we came there for!

Overall the area was clean and seemed safe. You did see signs of the "protests"(personally I don't call breaking windows and stealing protests), some stores had plywood covering glass doors or windows that had been broken. The area did get shut down for a few days, maybe even a week, during it, but it was all opened back up now.

Food and drink was reasonably priced, hotel was too except for all the "taxes and fees" (paying for stadiums no doubt). Overall a fun weekend. Flight home we caught a tailwind and made it back in under 2 hrs. Heard 2 youtubers, Martin P and Matt G, both on with MSP ATC, gave a shout out to Martin. IMG_20200627_143651.jpg IMG_20200627_141340.jpg IMG_20200627_174405 (2).jpg IMG_20200627_200920.jpg

Love Jack Stack's! There are so many good Q places in KC!

You chose wisely. O'Dowd's is a great place to sit back with a pint. And JackStack is some of the best BBQ in town. It's been a long time since I've gone on a city-wide comparison test, but in my book JackStack has the best brisket and sides in KC.

I'm based at MKC and I saw your Socata on the ramp over the weekend; it was notable because you don't see those terribly often. Sounds like you hit some of the good spots in town. I live near, and work on, the Plaza, it's a great place to spend a nice weekend just walking around.

Jack Stack is always a solid BBQ choice, it's consistently very good. That said, I think there are a few spots that are slightly better, such as SLAPS and Oklahoma Joe's (I refuse to call it by its "new" name, Joe's KC). But we're talking degrees of excellent, and Jack Stack is probably in the top 5 or so in town quality wise, so you did good.

I'm based at MKC and I saw your Socata on the ramp over the weekend; it was notable because you don't see those terribly often. Sounds like you hit some of the good spots in town. I live near, and work on, the Plaza, it's a great place to spend a nice weekend just walking around.

Jack Stack is always a solid BBQ choice, it's consistently very good. That said, I think there are a few spots that are slightly better, such as SLAPS and Oklahoma Joe's (I refuse to call it by its "new" name, Joe's KC). But we're talking degrees of excellent, and Jack Stack is probably in the top 5 or so in town quality wise, so you did good.

I agree. Oklahoma Joe's has better prok ribs and burnt ends. But I like Slaps, Jack Stack and Gates for sliced brisket and sides. It't been a few years but I plan to make a trip down to KC this year.

We (my wife and 23yr old daughter) cheap self serve gas too, I think around $3 but I didn't need any so I didn't fill.

For three bucks a gallon, I would have bought a couple of gas cans. :) Sounds like a great getaway.

Tim

Just outside of Kansas city at K81 (Paola/Miami County)on the field is We-B Smokin. We stopped in there a while back, and it was one some of the best bbq I can ever remember. Being on the field and taxiing up to the door is certainly a bonus. I would absolutely recommend that place.

Dang - this thread got refreshed and I just realized my cholesterol is getting dangerously low. Time for more Q!

K81 Miami Co 20’ south of KMKC Downtown Airport: Be Smoking BBQ

Attachments

• C0C2136F-68B5-48FE-B67E-D104BFAA166C.jpeg
    C0C2136F-68B5-48FE-B67E-D104BFAA166C.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 18
Back