To GPS or not to GPS

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
My plane is becoming a bit of an odd bird. I have had it 2 years (a 1981 Archer II). I bought it with all steam gauges but it had ADS-B. Since I bought it I have added a Garmin G5 and moved my AI to the TC spot (need to keep to run the Century 21). I added a CGR-30P for engine monitoring. I replaced the old audio panel with a PS Engineering 7000B.

The plane has no GPS. My ADS-B runs to my iPad and I navigate that way. I have an ADF though. :cool: This is not my forever plane. So wisdom would say don't add one because you'll never get it back. Just starting to wonder if the plane will be harder to sell because it doesn't have one.

So currently I have:
Garmin G5 for AI
steam AI
2 VORs. One has glideslope.
ADF
DME
CGR-30P
ADS-B in and out

The temptation is to put in another G5 to replace the DG and then add a GTN650 to add GPS and replace an aging KX155 radio (which can be flaky from time to time).

With my franken-panel will this thing be hard to sell in a few years without a GPS? Or should I stick to the addage to never continue upgrading a plane you aren't going to keep?

An iPad with Garmin Pilot is more capable than a GPS you're likely to add.

An iPad with Garmin Pilot is more capable than a GPS you're likely to add.
That's what I have thought. Just concerned about resale. I could still do my instrument rating in this plane. I just get limited on the approaches available. I would think I would want to do my IFR cert in this plane and then upgrade to the higher horsepower bird and then get some more dual doing GPS approaches.

No GPS definitely harms resale. Removing and selling the ADF and one of the KX-155's would help pay for it. Also gain several pounds of useful load. ADF antennas are heavy.

That said, I'd put in a GPS if I was keeping the plane, or have the cash to front the upgrade.

Aircraft lost value of no GPS + added value of modern gear + sale of legacy gear = Opportunity to upgrade

(Probably get $800 for KX-155, $300 for ADF system if working, get back the $3K-5K lost on resale due to no modern GPS. Also another $800 for an ADS-B internal position source in a transponder. You have like $5700-$7700 to work with as a starting place towards a GNS650.)

Also a GNS650 adds $6500 to resale. You are more likely playing with $12,200-$14,200.

That's the cost of a GNS650. Easy to see why so many are taking the upgrade plunge and the Av shops are so busy.

Last edited:
Are you actually going to fly IFR/IMC in it? Or just get your IFR in it?

If it’s a IMC plane you’ll need a GPS and GPSS.

Otherwise leave it be

That's what I have thought. Just concerned about resale. I could still do my instrument rating in this plane. I just get limited on the approaches available. I would think I would want to do my IFR cert in this plane and then upgrade to the higher horsepower bird and then get some more dual doing GPS approaches.
If you pull the ADF and it works, let me know. Mine just died and I really like ADF (no hassles, please...there are valid reasons)

I have a 79’ Archer II
Is it worth what I put into it, Not even close.
Do I have a plane that has all the goodies, makes 128 knots, and is cheap to fly, you bet.
Would I do it exactly the same if I could do it again? No, I would have spent the extra 10k on a new autopilot.
Do I want a Bonanza or something faster, you bet. Enjoy what you have, while you have it, if you want a gps, add it.
9adbd242f768dba8a132c929df741b0e.jpg

Picture is before I added wheel pants... huge difference

Since your considering selling,upgrading the panel,will benefit the new owner at your expense..

don't do it! sell the plane to @TRocket, who still navigates with a sextant and an hourglass, so he can build some time. then buy your forever plane with the stuff you want already in it.

Are you actually going to fly IFR/IMC in it? Or just get your IFR in it?

If it’s a IMC plane you’ll need a GPS and GPSS.

Otherwise leave it be

I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you’re keeping it for a few years, I’d get the 650 and enjoy your time with it. If you’re keeping it a few weeks or months, don’t bother.

don't do it! sell the plane to @TRocket, who still navigates with a sextant and an hourglass, so he can build some time. then buy your forever plane with the stuff you want already in it.
The Garmin AI ruined in for me...otherwise great panel....so close...yet so far.

When I replaced my KX-170'S with smaller radios, it left room for me to mount a tablet.

Back