$ to convert a Tripe to a TW?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
Well? I know it's a fairly easy job, but of course there's parts involved and paperwork.

Just curious about the cost, supposing I got a Tripe(PA-22) for free and only wanted a PA-20.

No, I don't want to just buy a PA-20 thankyouverymuch.

Well? I know it's a fairly easy job, but of course there's parts involved and paperwork.

Just curious about the cost, supposing I got a Tripe(PA-22) for free and only wanted a PA-20.

No, I don't want to just buy a PA-20 thankyouverymuch.

I'll discuss the mechanical part not the paper work.

First you purchase a set of PA 20 gear leg fittings, and a set of gear legs.
Cut a hole in the fabric at the appropriate places to have the fittings welded into the lower longerons, Patch the fabric, install the gear legs. purchase a set of tail wheel fittings and a tail wheel assembly, cut the fabric to allow the fitting to be welded on, patch the fabric, install the tail wheel assembly.

The parts and kit can be bought from Univair.

add rudder horn and steering chains.... it wouldn't be a tough project. Until you find rusted longerons. Most "simple" Cub projects turn into more expensive and more complicated projects when you remove fabric and start welding onto old tubes.

add rudder horn and steering chains.... it wouldn't be a tough project. Until you find rusted longerons. Most "simple" Cub projects turn into more expensive and more complicated projects when you remove fabric and start welding onto old tubes.

How about one that has been sand blasted about 3 times. Was .043" now is .015".

Or one that has been linseed oil treated. Blow a hole and watch the fire come out. :)

Sell it and get one of the many PA-22/20 conversions and projects for sale. From what I've seen, at least half of the TW conversions never get finished or are ground looped shortly after completion and never get fixed. It would be a shame to lose another one.

Wondering more about the labor side. I can buy the kit from Univair, but guessing on the labor at about 50 hours start to finish?

Wondering more about the labor side. I can buy the kit from Univair, but guessing on the labor at about 50 hours start to finish?

Over a week? I wouldn't think so. more like a couple days.

But, are you going to recover the whole fuselage? or go with the patches and the mis-matched paint.?

When you go with new fabric, new glass is a must, with new paint and glass, the interior looks crummy.

Last edited:
Patch and paint. I'll be doing half or more of the labor, and I'm doing it the first time, so I gave myself extra time to figure the fittings. And, like mentioned time to repair what I find when I get in there and start grinding metal clean to weld. Could be - interesting.

I'll take a tripe for free and just fly it as is :)

Patch and paint. I'll be doing half or more of the labor, and I'm doing it the first time, so I gave myself extra time to figure the fittings. And, like mentioned time to repair what I find when I get in there and start grinding metal clean to weld. Could be - interesting.

Don't grind..

First timer doing much of the labor? 2 weeks of several hours a day. then 2 weeks for your mechanic to fix what you did. Think I'm joking? Keep a log. :)

First timer doing much of the labor? 2 weeks of several hours a day. then 2 weeks for your mechanic to fix what you did. Think I'm joking? Keep a log. :)

How to estimate how long it will take to "do it yourself":

1. Take any estimate of time to complete and multiply by the following:

-if DIY materials come in a pre-packaged kit - 2
-if DIY materials are not in kit form, but plans are readily available - 5
-if the plans are no longer available but you downloaded them from the internet- 10
-if you designed it yourself - 100

How to estimate cost: see above! ;-)

"**DO NOT ATTEMPT** Performed by professional driver on closed course."

Depends who is doing it. Someone who has done it before and has a TIG box and knows how to use it can likely get it done in 30 IF the tubes they are welding to are good. If not, there is a can of worms opened that may take considerably longer to rectify.

Why would you want to convert a cow's stomach to an airplane? Wouldn't it be too floppy and stinky?

:D

It's part of the "cool sounding" names that people feel they have to use.

I was laughing when one guy was asking about a "Twink" and if he should get one. Hey, whatever turns you on! :eek:

:rofl:

Once, I guess. It won't be as short run or safe as a TW Pacer.

It's more about the pilot than the aircraft. I've never seen a ti-pacer tipped up on its nose. I have seen a pacer destroyed that way.

A strong quartering tailwind can trip a Tri-Pacer. The AOPA Give away PA22 wound up in its back. Here's one for Tom--The shop at Thun that has the Lake Amphibians shop had their Tri Pacer go on its back. There was a poster here on POA that had his Tri-Pacer flipped onto its back after he came to a complete stop. The NTSB still charged him with pilot error. They do indeed wing up on their back from time to time.

Paul
Salome, AZ

I'll discuss the mechanical part not the paper work.

First you purchase a set of PA 20 gear leg fittings, and a set of gear legs.
Cut a hole in the fabric at the appropriate places to have the fittings welded into the lower longerons, Patch the fabric, install the gear legs. purchase a set of tail wheel fittings and a tail wheel assembly, cut the fabric to allow the fitting to be welded on, patch the fabric, install the tail wheel assembly.

The parts and kit can be bought from Univair.

At some point do you take the old gear off?

Back