To be or not to be a CFI

wangmyers said:
Oh, I'm only up to 400 hours. I was just guessing that I'd be at about 600 by the time I got my CFI.

I think I might just do that!

200 hrs for a CFI??? Heck, You could do CFI/II/ MEI in that and still have 50 hrs left over to teach in.

Henning said:
200 hrs for a CFI??? Heck, You could do CFI/II/ MEI in that and still have 50 hrs left over to teach in.
You don't realize how lugubriously I do these things. I am thinking that in the next 200 hours I would take maybe 30 to do the commercial over a year's time. During that year, I'd probably fly another 70 or so hours for personal / business reasons. Then, it would be the same thing for the CFI--another 30/100 split. I'd like to be more optimistic, but my past record probably won't bear that out.

Another poster has already mentioned liability. It is worth it to do some research on how a student's accident might affect your net worth and your retirement.
Young, broke CFI's don't have much to lose. People who are older not only are worth going after, they may not have time to rebuild the retirement account so that is a double risk that you might want to put some numbers on.
How many CFI's get sued? I have no idea. Maybe not enough to worry about. But the only one who matters is if you get sued. You don't even have to lose to incur legal costs.
On the other hand, if you are a CFI, you can write off some aviation materials and so forth as a cost of doing business.

jnmeade said:
Another poster has already mentioned liability. It is worth it to do some research on how a student's accident might affect your net worth and your retirement.
Young, broke CFI's don't have much to lose. People who are older not only are worth going after, they may not have time to rebuild the retirement account so that is a double risk that you might want to put some numbers on.
How many CFI's get sued? I have no idea. Maybe not enough to worry about. But the only one who matters is if you get sued. You don't even have to lose to incur legal costs.
On the other hand, if you are a CFI, you can write off some aviation materials and so forth as a cost of doing business.
Ouch.

I'd love to have my CFI ticket and work up to the MEI and CFII tickets for the following reasons:

1. I don't like the idea that more pilots are hanging up their wings than are pinning them on

2. I love to fly

3. I'd rather teach people how to do something I love rather than teach them to do something that I tolerate simply because I have a natural aptitude for it.

However, I can understand both sides of the coin when it comes to the "this is the way it has to be done" idea on the part of the CFI. As a bus driver/safety trainer, I learned that there are procedures in bus driving that must be done a certain way (I'm finding that flying is the same). Proven methods that are safe and effective that are also regulated by DOT statute. I do understand, however, that each student is an individual and while their movements may not mimic mine during a particular procedure, the sequence is the same as are the results. That's how I taught driving students and how I'd teach as a CFI. I also learned quickly that students respond better to the "this is how it has to be done" when the reason, or "why" is included in the procedural training.

My 2¢ worth of thoughts.

Last edited:
I just found this thread, so I apologize for waking it up if it's already been put to bed.

I got my CFI rating for the simple reason that I believe that if you really want to know something, learn to explain it to someone else. It has more than met my expectations. I can safely say they've taught me more than I've taught them. You'd be surprised what you can learn sitting in the right seat trying to fix sloppy patterns and botched landings. I have plenty of homework too.

I've been very lucky. I am independent and allowed to teach with the Caltech/JPL flying club, 2 local flight schools (one airplane, one helicopter), and I am one of the few CFIs with an experimental type rating in T28s, in the area. I teach as much as my schedule allows. I get all kinds of students and an explanation that causes lights and bells to go off with one gets you a blank stare from another. My biggest challenge so far is what to do on a BFR with someone who's been flying their whole adult life and has 12 time the hours, I have.

Ben, I'd be leery of the time commitment, but also ask yourself how much of your current commitment is self induced. You'll be surprised how your priorities change when you have an enthusiastic student almost ready to solor, or polishing for the checkride.

Joe

I've been thinking about this too. I fly a lot because I get to commute to work (200 miles) but I may leave this job and my flight hours will go way down and the cost will go up. I used to teach (biology and ecology), love flying, and like taking people on first flights so being a CFI would be a way to keep in the cockpit and share what I know. I would like to think I'd be an "old" CFI who does not have a "know everything" attitude because I've only been flying 6 years (1100 hours) and I can still vividly remember all my training experiences.

Some issues I have with teaching are whether or not I have the nerve to let students bob and weave down the glide path as they struggle to line up with a runway, and also, I am concerned about liability. I'd hate to think a former student's estate could sue the CFI for training errors.

Back