To Be Dropped from Airplanes

The urge to interject the word "muff" is overpowering.

I remember when BIW actually built SHIPS and not personal watercraft. Maybe they ought to bring back the B-17H (Anybody remember what those were?) so BIW could make bigger air dropped lifeboats.

I remember when BIW actually built SHIPS and not personal watercraft.
Not to worry...Bath is still very much in the SHIP building business. They are still cranking out Arleigh Burkes and have laid the keel for DDG 1000. This is just a side gig.

I remember when BIW actually built SHIPS and not personal watercraft. Maybe they ought to bring back the B-17H (Anybody remember what those were?) so BIW could make bigger air dropped lifeboats.

Hodgdon Yachts is building them.

I flew over BIW on my way to IWI a few weeks ago. They have some big hulls out there.

You beat me to the punch that this is not a BIW project. Hodgdon normally builds spectacular yachts over in East Boothbay. George "Sonny" Hodgdon used to be one of my camera store customers. Hodgdon has other divisions in Richmond and Bath, the latter where this new vessel is being built.

You beat me to the punch that this is not a BIW project. Hodgdon normally builds spectacular yachts over in East Boothbay. George "Sonny" Hodgdon used to be one of my camera store customers. Hodgdon has other divisions in Richmond and Bath, the latter where this new vessel is being built.

Indeed they have, and their composite work is real quality. I had the pleasure of touring their Bath location once. Fantastic hosts who really enjoy what they do.

Not to worry...Bath is still very much in the SHIP building business. They are still cranking out Arleigh Burkes and have laid the keel for DDG 1000. This is just a side gig.

Good. It was always a nice diversion to get out on the Rte 1 bridge to watch 'em side-launch a ship into the river.

Last edited:
Back