To all the students out there.

I have seen him write positive posts. I don't think the board administration could have predicted how this would turn out.
Well, I have only been following this board for a short time, and I do not read everything, as I am not yet a pilot, so a lot of it doesn't yet mean a whole lot to me.

Well, I have only been following this board for a short time, and I do not read everything, as I am not yet a pilot, so a lot of it doesn't yet mean a whole lot to me.

It will make more sense to you as you grow with time and experience. And I do believe that everyone on here has the best intentions, even though it may not always come off that way when you read the posts. So long as you keep that in mind in your time here, you should enjoy it. Although there are some people you won't like, just like every community.

It will make more sense to you as you grow with time and experience. And I do believe that everyone on here has the best intentions, even though it may not always come off that way when you read the posts. So long as you keep that in mind in your time here, you should enjoy it. Although there are some people you won't like, just like every community.

+1

I obviously dont see this issue the same as others. However, this board has a wealth of information and experience. I dont "not like" anyone on here. People are different. I do absolutely respect everyones opinions and if I get in a jam I firmly believe that I could count on most, if not all on here to help. I am truly sorry that Sara got beat up like she did. But I do find this discourse helpful in a weird way.

+1

I obviously dont see this issue the same as others. However, this board has a wealth of information and experience. I dont "not like" anyone on here. People are different. I do absolutely respect everyones opinions and if I get in a jam I firmly believe that I could count on most, if not all on here to help. I am truly sorry that Sara got beat up like she did. But I do find this discourse helpful in a weird way.

I think the discourse has provoked some very valuable discussions for everyone. Certainly there have been some over discourse for things I've done.

Thread creep used to bug me, at least on my threads. The people who told me it was the sign of a good thread were right. I now agree with them.

+1

Really? IDK. I do not know the personalities here but it seemed that folks with a prior beef with Sara came over to beat her up over something pretty innocuous that, IMHO, should have been taken in the spirit offered and gotten a pass.

Really? IDK. I do not know the personalities here but it seemed that folks with a prior beef with Sara came over to beat her up over something pretty innocuous that, IMHO, should have been taken in the spirit offered and gotten a pass.

I agree with you. I guess what I mean is the discussion has made me think. I dont agree with her treatment, dont get me wrong.

The problem with the folks who say they're "helping" by pointing out other's weaknesses is that there's a fine line between being your Brother's Keeper and just being mean. Especially when the target of the criticism didn't ask for an opinion.

Some people are always going to fall down and go boom. And some are going to teeter on the edge of disaster for a lifetime. (Weebils wobble but they don't fall down! Grin...)

The certification system hasn't yet found a way to stop it, certainly no Internet message board ever will. At what point the criticism goes from constructive to destructive is the debate point here.

So someone's exhibiting "scary" behavior... At some point unless you're signing their logbook, you have to shrug it off unless you know them personally.

We can discuss how to change the process - that might lead to interesting new ideas. Or it might not.

In the end, it's well-proven that we, as pilots and humans, are by far the weakest link in Aviation safety. UAS's will just move that to the code developers, or "remote pilots".

Those who think they're s--- h-- in this game are just one bad wind gust away from enforcement action and an ALJ determining their fate, every time they go aloft.

And if she demonstrates multiple hazardous attitudes that we all agree lead to killing people? :rolleyes:

Calling the sentence that he objected to and relentlessly pursued a hazardous attitude would be an exaggeration at best, and he gave no advice that would help her be a safer or better pilot. :rolleyes:

Well, at least we agree on something! :)

The problem with the folks who say they're "helping" by pointing out other's weaknesses is that there's a fine line between being your Brother's Keeper and just being mean. Especially when the target of the criticism didn't ask for an opinion.

Some people are always going to fall down and go boom. And some are going to teeter on the edge of disaster for a lifetime. (Weebils wobble but they don't fall down! Grin...)

The certification system hasn't yet found a way to stop it, certainly no Internet message board ever will. At what point the criticism goes from constructive to destructive is the debate point here.

So someone's exhibiting "scary" behavior... At some point unless you're signing their logbook, you have to shrug it off unless you know them personally.

We can discuss how to change the process - that might lead to interesting new ideas. Or it might not.

In the end, it's well-proven that we, as pilots and humans, are by far the weakest link in Aviation safety. UAS's will just move that to the code developers, or "remote pilots".

Those who think they're s--- h-- in this game are just one bad wind gust away from enforcement action and an ALJ determining their fate, every time they go aloft.

I, for one, would rather that the bad ideas and hazardous attitudes were posted than not posted. I think it pretty unlikely that a true bad idea will go unchallenged and everyone can then learn something. :D

The people who shared my opinion are mostly the folks who've talked with her more. Sara was a frequent participant in chat. I won't go into details because I don't feel that what's discussed in chat should be discussed openly, but she demonstrated numerous hazardous attitudes. Even without chat, I believe that she publicly stated hazardous attitudes. If you disagree, then I'd invite you to read through some more of the threads she started. If you still disagree, than I am happy to disagree with you.

As is often the case (especially in internet gossip forums), some people have more information than others. Since we are mostly all nice people (I don't make that claim personally) who want to see GA continue and be safe (I do make that claim), the standard response is to congratulate people and be encouraging. However, that is not always the appropriate response that is in the best interest of the person involved and the activity as a whole. Again, if you disagree, then I am happy to disagree with you and leave it at that.

and the fact that most of the regular people in chat share this attitude really says something.

Calling the sentence that he objected to and relentlessly pursued a hazardous attitude would be an exaggeration at best, and he gave no advice that would help her be a safer or better pilot. :rolleyes:

Well, in my defense, I've given that to her plenty of times in chat. She's made it clear that she's not interested in advice, so I stopped wasting my time.

The people who shared my opinion are mostly the folks who've talked with her more. Sara was a frequent participant in chat. I won't go into details because I don't feel that what's discussed in chat should be discussed openly, but she demonstrated numerous hazardous attitudes. Even without chat, I believe that she publicly stated hazardous attitudes. If you disagree, then I'd invite you to read through some more of the threads she started. If you still disagree, than I am happy to disagree with you.

As is often the case (especially in internet gossip forums), some people have more information than others. Since we are mostly all nice people (I don't make that claim personally) who want to see GA continue and be safe (I do make that claim), the standard response is to congratulate people and be encouraging. However, that is not always the appropriate response that is in the best interest of the person involved and the activity as a whole. Again, if you disagree, then I am happy to disagree with you and leave it at that.

When I read the opening post in its entirety, I don't see anything in it that requires the re-airing of past disagreements. If she had started repeating the hazardous attitudes, then fine, point out the problem. The relentless nit-picking in posts # 3, 10, and 15 contributed nothing to anyone's safety.

Welcome Pinstriper, and I hope Sara comes back.

If I were a new pilot, and people were acting like I was incapable of learning to be a safe pilot, I sure wouldn't want to post here!

Well, in my defense, I've given that to her plenty of times in chat. She's made it clear that she's not interested in advice, so I stopped wasting my time.

One reason I'm not a fan of chat is that it might not allow time to think things through, or to let things sink in, before replying.

With the utterly arrogant attitude you evince in the posts int his thread, I would be similarly disinterested. Since she doesn't know you, I can easily see how she could reach the conclusion that you're a completely self-absorbed SOB. I am not entirely convinced I am still interacting with the charming young engineer I met in years past.

However, I remind myself that we can all be played false by the internet, yours truly spectacularly so. I really hope you don't consider it some sort of victory that you've helped drive away a frequent contributor to the board. As it stands she'll still go out and do whatever it is she'll do, but without the sage counsel that many on this board can supply.

Indeed, if the goal was to improve a pilot who you feel exhibits dangerous tendencies, then I submit all of your efforts are abject failures. If your goal was to illustrate how her attitudes were dangerous or improper, I believe you have failed similarly. At the end of the day all I see are high time pilots chastising a lower time pilot. Perhaps that's just me, but I've found in life that, despite my own peculiar tendencies, I am rarely alone in my viewpoint.

Given that your career in now predicated at least in part on flight training, you might give this episode some reflection.

When I read the opening post in its entirety, I don't see anything in it that requires the re-airing of past disagreements. If she had started repeating the hazardous attitudes, then fine, point out the problem. The relentless nit-picking in posts # 3, 10, and 15 contributed nothing to anyone's safety.

Hey, those were all my posts.

Look, I know many here see it differently than I. From where I sit and what I know of my intentions I see those posts as such:

Her: The 'statement' that I questioned.

Me (post 3) not angry. Just asking a question. I figured she'd see it (the statement) wasn't what she meant and back away from it.

Her: nothing. She responded to someone else but by omission (I waited almost an hour after that post to give time) it sorta seemed she was standing by the 'statement'.

Me (post 10) "so I guess we're not getting a response" was it snarky? A little. Okay, it was. But it was such a simple answer and I didn't think there was any way she could honestly think more things happened to her as a student than most pilots in a career.

Her: she quoted me and said something that in my mind had nothing to do with her 'statement' or my question. Like I ask if it's raining and she says she likes to swim. That leads to...

Me (post 15) in a not angry tone, not belittling maner I point out that what she said didn't have to do with the statement or the question. Do you really think the 'statement' is true?

That's when people piled on me and rather than monopolize her thread with endless banter I started my own...the 'Vent Thread'

Like I said before...I know some here don't see it that way or care how I see it. That's okay. I'm not here to make everybody happy. But what I just posted is how I actually see the events from my perspective.

Last edited:
With the utterly arrogant attitude you evince in the posts int his thread, I would be similarly disinterested. Since she doesn't know you, I can easily see how she could reach the conclusion that you're a completely self-absorbed SOB. I am not entirely convinced I am still interacting with the charming young engineer I met in years past.

:rolleyes:

Hello, kettle!

Me (post 10) "so I guess we're not getting a response" was it snarky? A little. Okay, it was. But it was such a simple answer and I didn't think there was any way she could honestly think more things happened to her as a student than most pilots in a career.

I applaud you for seeing that it was snarky.

Her: she quoted me and said something that in my mind had nothing to do with her 'statement' or my question. Like I ask if it's raining and she says she likes to swim. That leads to...

I've already explained why I disagree on that point. You haven't said why you find my explanation unsatisfactory. Once she said "I dunno," what more is there that needed to be said?

Me (post 15) in a not angry tone, not belittling maner I point out that what she said didn't have to do with the statement or the question. Do you really think the 'statement' is true?

Perhaps this bears repeating:

duty_calls.png

I'm having a hard time seeing the perceived inaccuracy of her statement as important enough to pursue beyond the initial question. Also, I don't think tone comes across well on message boards. However, at that point, I don't think any real harm had been done.

That's when people piled on me and rather than monopolize her thread with endless banter I started my own...the 'Vent Thread'

When you started the new thread, you asked "how am I the bad guy?" People gave you their opinions on that question. (What were you expecting to happen?) That's when things really started going off the rails, because the thread was about determining who is the bad guy right from the start. And the implicit assumption was that there WAS a bad guy, rather than just differences of opinion.

Well the "bullies" are the ones who have talked with her alot more.

Forgive me. I didn't realize that makes it ok to be a jerk. My apologies.

With the utterly arrogant attitude you evince in the posts int his thread, I would be similarly disinterested.

Indeed, if the goal was to improve a pilot who you feel exhibits dangerous tendencies, then I submit all of your efforts are abject failures. If your goal was to illustrate how her attitudes were dangerous or improper, I believe you have failed similarly. At the end of the day all I see are high time pilots chastising a lower time pilot. Perhaps that's just me, but I've found in life that, despite my own peculiar tendencies, I am rarely alone in my viewpoint.

Given that your career in now predicated at least in part on flight training, you might give this episode some reflection.
This is what it looks like to me, a noob. I hope that one day I see some redeeming quality in you, because right now, I don't.

Hey, those were all my posts.

Look, I know many here see it differently than I. From where I sit and what I know of my intentions I see those posts as such:

Her: The 'statement' that I questioned.

Me (post 3) not angry. Just asking a question. I figured she'd see it (the statement) wasn't what she meant and back away from it.

Her: nothing. She responded to someone else but by omission (I waited almost an hour after that post to give time) it sorta seemed she was standing by the 'statement'.
Is there some requirement that you ask a question and someone can't politely ignore you because you are out of bounds?
And she ignored you, so that made you angry, because when you ask a question, it must be answered.
She took the high road. IMO she's the better person - rather than defend herself, it looks to me like she tried to ignore the attack.
Because God forbid someone should not answer a question you ask, right?
That's when people piled on me
Because you were in the wrong.

and rather than monopolize her thread with endless banter I started my own...the 'Vent Thread'
Because you felt the need for self-justification, and wanted everyone else to validate your need for it to be about you.
Like I said before...I know some here don't see it that way or care how I see it. That's okay. I'm not here to make everybody happy. But what I just posted is how I actually see the events from my perspective.

And instead of looking at how others see your attack, and perhaps learning from it, you are here posting again to justify your actions. I wouldn't fly with you if you offered me 500 hours of dual, free.

I applaud <snip>

I guess "I dunno" was an answer and you accepted it. I might have to. It was the next sentence that made me think she either didn't understand what I said or didn't understand what she said or something.

'Is it raining? I dunno.' is different than 'is it raining? I dunno. I like to swim'

Break--

When I started the Vent thread I wasn't mad at Sara. I was upset at being piled on and said so. I probably shouldn't have started it. I said before it was sorta like going outside to yell by going in the corner of the room.

But I do think the discussion was overall healthy. Some good points were raised and talked about. Sara got her feelings hurt and that's unfortunate. Shell be fine though and I'm sure she'll be back.

Is there a "dead horse" smilie? It might be time to dust it off and use it!

I agree. Seems like most of this piling on is more of a personality conflict than anything else. There are people I wouldn't want to get in an airplane with, not so much because I think they are bad pilots but because I suspect we would be very much like oil and water. Having worked in many crew parings both at work and in training I know it is true for me.

Don't even think about it. It's better to let this on run on forever to use up the time and attention that could otherwise be diverted to other threads.

Is there a "dead horse" smilie? It might be time to dust it off and use it!

I tell you what.....when I read Cameron's statement, I knew one thing...he wasn't from Texas. If he was, he would have gotten he would have been taught better manners years ago. If I ran the forum, I'd ban him as this isn't his first time, and as a matter of fact brags about stirring the pot. Let him go to the red board and be an ass

Back