TN Powerline inspection copter finds the powerline

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Several hundred feet of power line clipped by a low-flying helicopter fell across Interstate 81 Wednesday evening, clogging traffic for nearly 14 miles for over two hours.

Ironically, the aircraft was owned by Air2, a company based in Timonium, Md., that provides line transmission aerial service support and maintenance to power companies.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=96963

It's not far to fall.

After watching some TV shows about these airborne linemen and how they go about their job, I'm impressed with the skill and sand of the pilots to accomplish such a task.

A different article, linked to the first,

http://www.timesnews.net/article/90...-power-line-makes-emergency-landing-near-i-81

Looking at the two pics, I don't immediately see a wire strike kit. It might be, I just can't see it. and whether you believe news or not....

Appalachian Power Company spokesman Todd Burns said the 230-kilovolt transmission line was cut by the helicopter blade, but no residential power was lost to that area.
An investigator from the Federal Aviation Administration was due to arrive on the scene of the landing either late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning to further handle the case.
The THP was planning on having an officer stay with the craft until FAA officials arrived.
Burns said the line would have to be repaired, with the majority of the reworking of the line having to be done using a helicopter, but no timetable could be provided as to when the work would be done.

I'd be sort of surprised if a helicopter used for wire work didn't have a wire kit, but stranger things have happened.

My company's heli has been used to wash the insulators on the powerlines up on the North Slope oil fields. It doesn't have a WSP kit. But then, a WSP doesn't help much just hovering within 30 feet of the lines. You need forward movement for the WSP to help much.

Back