Tizanidine experience?

globe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Globe
Anyone have any experience with a 3rd class medical with a prescription for Tizanidine. It is prescribed in this case for occasional use for sleep disruption. Basically I use it when I cross many time zones to knock me out and it doesn't have anywhere near the linguine affects of ambien.

Nope, am talking about Tizanidine. First had it a few years ago for muscle relaxation related to back pain. Well it didn't work one bit for that but turned out to be great at putting me to sleep within 30 minutes and being wide awake again in as little as 2 hours if needed. Used in on long haul flights now and then since then.

I am not familiar with that one but several people have told me that when going for their medical, they can't remember what they have taken in the last year or so. Good pilot friend of mine had been prescribed something for back pain but never ended up taking the pills because it just turned out to be a muscle spasm and it worked itself out.
Maybe yours was like that. :dunno:

Page 241 has some good information
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=DqYi2JR_wAZojWQFPjBRuw&bvm=bv.70138588,d.b2U

Per the AOPA medication database, Tizanidine is "not allowed".

http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/medical/druglist.cfm

If you have been taking it, and are seeking a third class or renewing one, you may need the advice and services of Dr. Bruce Chien. He will be able to tell you how you need to proceed so that your medical is not in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Yes, melatonin works well in some scenarios, for me it doesn't have the "knock out" affect. Of course I understand why tizanidine isn't approved for flight, it knocks me out in 25 minutes. However it seems to be out of the system within a couple of hrs so I expect there is a 24 or 48 hours prior requirement and that is what I was wondering if anyone had experience with.

It isn't a show stopper as I barely use it and can drop it if needed, just wondering how extreme I need to be.

While I don't know you or your symptoms other than what you posted, a couple generic benadryl (the active ingredient in Tylenol PM and others) is enough to knock me out for trips across the ponds but with no lingering side effects or running afoul of the FAA.

Thanks pilot_dude, that is worth a try. For some reason, I don't know why, Tylenol makes my knees hurt during the sleep, strange.

You probably know the scenario. Red eye from ORD to LHR and you KNOW you need to get 4-6 hours of sleep starting within 60 minutes of departure.

Yes, melatonin works well in some scenarios, for me it doesn't have the "knock out" affect. Of course I understand why tizanidine isn't approved for flight, it knocks me out in 25 minutes. However it seems to be out of the system within a couple of hrs so I expect there is a 24 or 48 hours prior requirement and that is what I was wondering if anyone had experience with.

It isn't a show stopper as I barely use it and can drop it if needed, just wondering how extreme I need to be.

With the FAA, there is more too this situation than, "...I'll just cease taking it..." Often they want to know every small nitty detail about the situation of why it was prescribed, how frequently filled/taken, and more. All this needs to come from the doctor who evaluated you and wrote the scrip. And the letter needs to be written in such a way that the FAA reviewers don't (1) return it for more information, or (2) get suspicious of any other conditions that may or may not be present. Oh, and (3) simple language, not something that looks like your doctor swallowed a medical thesaurus.

Again, what needs to be done to successfully obtain your FAA medical certificate is way above the pay grade of everyone here. All we can do is offer guesses and conjecture.

To get this done correctly, seek out the advice and paid services of Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria. www.aeromedicaldoc.com

If you are not familiar with Dr. Bruce, use his name as search keywords to find past threads about him. He is one of the nation's top airmen advocates to the FAA's Airman Medical system. He is one of the few that knows every FAA senior medical reviewer (the doctors in OKC) and every simple to oddball to complex aeromedical situation. If certification is possible, he will do his best to obtain it with minimal delay, especially where other AME's would just stuff you into deferral hell.

One big tip. He is known to be a very nice guy when you listen to him and do as he asks, including being fully honest. But if you lie or omit, he has a very short fuse because dealing with the consequences of that action creates delays, paperwork, and frustration that takes away from his ability to help those who need it.

So again, to get or renew your medical now that it's known you have taken Tizanidine, seek out the counsel of Dr. Bruce Chien.

Last edited:
Thanks. What I was asking for was if anyone had "experience" with this scenario. Nobody has so far but some have given good input.

I am aware of Dr Bruce and I heard you the first time. Pursuing one avenue doesn't prevent one from gathering input from others that might have experience with this scenario.

If anyone has specific experience with taking this medication occasionally for sleep and have reported it I am still eager to hear about it.

Thanks pilot_dude, that is worth a try. For some reason, I don't know why, Tylenol makes my knees hurt during the sleep, strange.

You probably know the scenario. Red eye from ORD to LHR and you KNOW you need to get 4-6 hours of sleep starting within 60 minutes of departure.
If Tylenol causes pain you may be better served with straight generic benadryl. Pick up a house brand at CVS, Walgreens, etc and give it a try to make sure you understand how it impacts your body.
Yes, that scenario is very familiar albeit with differing starting/ending points :)

To repeat an important point...

What needs to be done to successfully obtain your FAA medical certificate is way above the pay grade of everyone here. All we can do is offer guesses and conjecture.

If you continue to ignore, then I'm doing the Pontius Pilot thing (pun intended)

Attachments

• article-1273952-097616A8000005DC-562_468x320.jpg
    article-1273952-097616A8000005DC-562_468x320.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 252
To repeat an important point...

What needs to be done to successfully obtain your FAA medical certificate is way above the pay grade of everyone here. All we can do is offer guesses and conjecture.

If you continue to ignore, then I'm doing the Pontius Pilot thing (pun intended)

I am not ignoring this point at all, I am simply gathering additional information. I never asked for specific medical guidance, I asked if anyone had experience with this scenario. I appreciated your guidance the first time but it really doesn't need to be repeated, but you can if it makes you feel better! :)

I appreciate the input from those of you that have first hand experience with this scenario, it has helped me formulate some alternative options for the future that I can discuss with my AME.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back