Title search - who's good?

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
I may have found an airplane to buy. I have already ordered the FAA records CD, it should be here in a few days (I hope). I want to do a title search so I know (or have reasonable cause to believe) that the title is OK before I go visit the seller with cash in hand.

Who is good/fast/cheap/recommended for title searches? Is there a clear winner, or not? I'm seeing Aero-Space Reports ($75) and AIC through the Sporty's web site ($70). I don't need anything fancy - escrow, broker, etc., this should be a pretty simple deal if there are no defects in the title.

I've used Aero Space reports for title and escrow, they did a good job! I've used a couple different companies in OKC, they have all been fine.:D

AIC did a perfectly fine job for me in 2012 for title search and escrow.

Thanks guys. So I'm getting the impression they're all OK. :)

I've never seen an FAA records CD. Let us assume for a moment that nothing new has happened, no new paper filed, on a particular airplane in the past, oh, say, few years. Would liens show up on the FAA records CD (meaning, the one you can request directly from the FAA)? I see now that I could have paid a few bucks extra to have King or, probably, one of the others do it a lot faster. Didn't know that at the time. FAA says there are 52 pages of airworthiness docs and 168 pages of registration docs.

Really, the big reason I wanted the CD was to see what all has been done and is on file with the FAA. There are some things that can be done to these aircraft that will forever take them out of Light Sport eligibility. I'd hate to find out the hard way that there was a 337 from 30 years ago missing from the paper log that would bump the gross weight above 1320, for instance - and there were a couple of ways that could happen.

I think the chance of there being any old liens is small, and almost certainly nothing in the past few years, but $70-75 seems a pretty small price to pay to be sure.

I believe I used AOPA. , fast and inexpensive. Have my insurance hrough tehm as well and they seem competitive.

Back