Titian engines for certified A/C ?

And a year later, Continental buys ECI.

The plot thickens...

Tom....just get an experimental...and be done with it. :D

I didn't write the article ?? though it was pretty interesting they might break the strangle hold the the FAA has on development of new engines.

On the other hand, the FAA will never approve any new designs until you buy a few congress critters.

For decades the engine manufacturers have lobbied the FAA not to approve any thing that would put them out of business. or you'd have small turbines that would retro fit the 172 type aircraft at a price we could afford.

Simply remember the FAA want the small aircraft to go away because they are a PITA to control.

Making the Private pilot easy & cheap would be a huge PITA for the FAA Thousands and thousands of small aircraft on ADS- will be a cluster F--- the ATC couldn't cope with.

I don't agree with the article that no one will buy an engine with a 1,000 hour TBO. The engine is a proven design and, if it's priced significantly less than Lycoming's version, then hell yes!

Except of course for those who must OH an engine at TBO.

Making the Private pilot easy & cheap would be a huge PITA for the FAA Thousands and thousands of small aircraft on ADS- will be a cluster F--- the ATC couldn't cope with.
careful what you ask for.....they're getting that with drones by the thousands. :rofl:

I don't agree with the article that no one will buy an engine with a 1,000 hour TBO. The engine is a proven design and, if it's priced significantly less than Lycoming's version, then hell yes!

Except of course for those who must OH an engine at TBO.
agreed....the experimental market has history with these guys. Many love these engines.....

Me?....I prolly wouldn't have an ECI cylinder....just cause. :D

Seriously, building engines isn't that difficult, it's not like we're talking any revolutionary engineering here, just a small step in evolution from a company that has been in the game for a long time.

Seriously, building engines isn't that difficult, it's not like we're talking any revolutionary engineering here, just a small step in evolution from a company that has been in the game for a long time.

Agreed....

Take the proven design of a Lyc /Conti.....

Add roller rockers, roller lifters, piston oilers to help shed heat and a simple FADEC fuel injection system.... and you are good to go for light plane power for the next 100 years...

you do know 98% of engine design is metallurgy?....and one can't tell by just "viewing" the parts.:rolleyes2:

Lots has changed in the last 40 years. The coatings, platings, and heat treatments are not what they started with.:no: ECI cylinders are proof of that....and it's nearly impossible to tell by a visual inspection what one is dealing with.:nono: ....hence the comments that "not much has changed in the last 40 years". :goofy:

....but, I'm sure you knew that too. :D

Last edited:
Isn't Titian a renaissance or maybe earlier painter?

Frank

Move your certified plane to the experimental category, hang the Titan engine on it and enjoy. Just be aware of the limitations of the category.

They sold engines with 1200 hour TBO's for years. I guess nobody bought those. I kind of wished the Ryan hadn't put one on my plane, but not because of the TBO limit.

Frankly, TBO is largely meaningless for most of us, unless you get a MANUFACTURER who decides that they need more REVENUE and crams through an AD (which may or may not be based on TBO anyhow) making things mandatory.

you do know 98% of engine design is metallurgy?....and one can't tell by just "viewing" the parts.:rolleyes2:

Lots has changed in the last 40 years. The coatings, platings, and heat treatments are not what they started with.:no: ECI cylinders are proof of that....and it's nearly impossible to tell by a visual inspection what one is dealing with.:nono: ....hence the comments that "not much has changed in the last 40 years". :goofy:

....but, I'm sure you knew that too. :D

Yes, quite aware, and ECI has been in the business since WWII, and no one else is doing it any better, they all have the same data.

Yes, quite aware, and ECI has been in the business since WWII, and no one else is doing it any better, they all have the same data.
They do?.....:yikes:

paging Mr. DuPuis. :goofy:....full disclosure - he and I worked at the same company but, in different divisions.

Last edited:

Lots has changed in the last 40 years. The coatings, platings, and heat treatments are not what they started with.:no: ECI cylinders are proof of that....

About 2% of engine design is metallurgy... And the materials haven't changed much in the last 40 years. What has changed is what we know about fluid dynamics, how we use computer models to design engines, and lubricants.

Whoever would suggest a design like the usual Lycoming/Continental engines would get fired immediately today.

About 2% of engine design is metallurgy... And the materials haven't changed much in the last 40 years. What has changed is what we know about fluid dynamics, how we use computer models to design engines, and lubricants.

Whoever would suggest a design like the usual Lycoming/Continental engines would get fired immediately today.
are you a metallurgist? :yikes:

....and I do the failure analysis and testing for engines....and the metallurgist with his lab tech is my right hand guy. :D

I'm the guy who sits with ETAS INCA/MatLab/SimuLink to figure out how the basic design works, and then tells the people what we need so it won't fail :)

nice.....does Henning work for you? :lol:

There are about 8 people in this organization with "Henning" surname, not sure if it's him. I guess working(well, I'm contracting) for a pretty major German company means we have plenty of German surnames in here...

They are all below me though :D

There are about 8 people in this organization with "Henning" surname, not sure if it's him. I guess working(well, I'm contracting) for a pretty major German company means we have plenty of German surnames in here...

Henning is my first name Heinemann my last. ;) Aviation wise, Ed Heinemann was some level of third cousin.

Henning is my first name Heinemann my last. ;) Aviation wise, Ed Heinemann was some level of third cousin.

What were your parents smokin'? :D

But my parents gave me a first name I hate. Norman is my middle name.

What were your parents smokin'? :D

Never could get my mom to, even when she was doing chemo and dying.:( In N. Europe/Skandanavia it's a variant of Henry, and being born in Germany, it's on the authorized list of names for blonde boys.:D

Never could get my mom to, even when she was doing chemo and dying.:( In N. Europe/Skandanavia it's a variant of Henry, and being born in Germany, it's on the authorized list of names for blonde boys.:D

Henning is a bit of an exception in Scandinavia, it is sort of "popular" around northern Denmark and southern Sweden. But it would not be a very common name north of Jönköping/in Norway.

Oh....how nice. :D

Henning is a bit of an exception in Scandinavia, it is sort of "popular" around northern Denmark and southern Sweden. But it would not be a very common name north of Jönköping/in Norway.

Oh, it's not common anywhere, my dad wouldn't have chosen a common name.:no: (however there are about 4 or 5 Henning Heinemanns in the world right now) But you know Germans, it was still on the Approved List of Names.:lol:

Now my Aussie ex named her daughter Tjahli, (pronounced Charlie).:rolleyes:

Back