Titans Flyover

This event divides people into two camps. The first camp is is the ‘Oh my, tsk, tsk’ group. The second is the ‘ Wow!, cool, wish I could do that’. FWIW, I am firmly in the second camp and work to avoid the first camp.

People like to polarize everything these days. My brother told me it was dangerous. Friend of his said it was approved by the BDE Commander and was completely safe. I look at it as an unnecessary risk.

Generally in military aviation they don’t characterize something in simplistic terms as safe or dangerous. Everything, including this flyover is done on a mission briefing form / risk assessment. So, you evaluate the operation in levels of risk. I assure you, this flyover was classified as “low risk.” However, by not adhering to regs with any standardized altitude at all, it could be an elevated risk that very well might end up being dangerous. Simply characterizing it as “very dangerous” as the retired FAA guy stated is naive. Could be dangerous but something would have to seriously go wrong. Heck, you could have a major malfunction with a forced landing but what are the chances of that?

In this case, the risk mitigation matrix would weigh the potential consequences as red, for disastrous. The other half of the matrix is the likelihood of something going wrong and we all know how Murphey's Law can affect your day...

So this threads begs a question with me, are military pilots subjected to the FAA rules? I understand that they follow them with flying in the National Airspace system, and stunts like this is going to get you a meeting with a senior officer but are they in trouble with the FAA itself?
They are because the military leadership chooses to follow them but no. The FAA can’t do anything to a military pilot. Only a civilian pilot. If you’re both at the same time then only your civilian half can be held accountable by the FAA. In practice I doubt it matters. I would expect the military side to be much less forgiving. Their discipline, sacrifice and willing surrender of individual rights is part of the reason we have all the things they surrender.

off topic but nothing free about that military flight training lol

Back