TIS traffic vs Active Traffic

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
So I recently flew with a guy in his G1000 Cessna 182T and was made aware of some traffic thanks to the "TIS Traffic" system on-board. I assumed that was the same as Active Traffic, but quickly told otherwise. Unfortunately he didn't have any idea how to explain the difference other than saying it wasn't the same.

So. my question is, what are the major differences? Is it worth the expensive upgrade to an Active Traffic system if an airplane is already equipped with a TIS system? I'm getting close to finalizing a deal on a newer plane and wondering if I should tack that functionality on or live with the TIS.

On a TIS system traffic info is provided by the ground radar site. That is traffic that is detected by the ground radar is conveyed to the TIS receiver. A TIS receiver does not need to interrogate or have a directional antenna thus is cheaper than an active system. TIS does not works at low altitude neither outside the US.

An active system interrogate traffic directly around and dtermines traffc direction using a directional antenna. An active system works anywhere in the world. Airline TCAS systems are active systems

José

TCAS isn't limited to the airlines. It sees those with transponders. It will coordinate resolutions if the converging traffic is also TCAS equipped. The other active traffic system (and where we are careening towards is ADS-B). ADS-B will provide active traffic with other ADS-B players. It also has a TIS-B mode that receives ground based traffic (similar to the TIS you saw).

Somewhere in the middle are things like the (now defunct) Zaon units. These passively snoop on other's transponders and give rough direction and difference.

Right now I have the Mode S TIS and a Zaon and ATC usually helping and four mark I eyeballs.

TIS only works in some radar environments, it works around Atlanta, until you get 30-40 miles away, then it drops off, depending on your direction of flight. Bigger metro areas have radar that works with TIS, I just can't recall the type right now. I fly from Atlanta to the gulf coast and TIS is not available for 80% of the flight. :rolleyes: It's not terrible and certainly better than nothing, but active traffic is the way to go, if budget isn't a big issue. :D I haven't flown with ADS-B traffic, so can't comment. ;)

We have TIS in our club G1000 plane but it wont work around Bangor (my home base). Around 40 to 50 nm from Portland (where they have TIS) I'll pick up traffic that's 1000 ft AGL or greater. Came in SUPER useful the other day when I went into a jam packed traffic pattern and couldn't see someone I was flying over but had him on TIS.

Either way it's useful, just as long as you realize that TIS might not be there for you (and may be phased out in the future). If you can afford ADS-B I'd go with that.

Last edited:
I've had trouble finding a TIS coverage map but this is the best I can find for TIS:

aim0405_At%20Anchor1.png

As best I can tell these are the providers for TIS but they list Bangor so perhaps it's not up to date.

Here is the coverage map for ADS-B:

adsb-final-crop.jpg

A little better, no?

I had a similar dilema and opted for the Monroy Traffic-Watch. ADS-B or TIS does not work for me outside the US when I travel to the Caribbean Islands. It works pretty well even on the ground. I had mine connected to the G530 but found the LED display very helpful too.

José

Attachments

• G530-ATD-300.jpg
    G530-ATD-300.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 31
Thanks everyone! Seems like the TIS is going away. I'll look into other options.

Back