Tire rupture in flight?

Lindberg

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lindberg
I was on a EMB170 last night, and before we reached cruising altitude I heard a clunk, just like the sound of the gear door closing. I was sitting over the wing and heard it very distinctly. I knew they wouldn't be cycling the gear and actually wondered what could have hit at that altitude. When we landed, it sounded just like a flat tire in a car. , We stopped before reaching the ramp, and I was certain the captain was going to tell us we were stuck, but then we taxied in. We were very late, and the airport was abandoned.

Questions: 1. Can a tire rupture from altitude on climbout? B. If that happened, would there an indication in the cockpit? III. Is one flat tire considered an emergency, or would you land and taxi semi normally? d. Was it all my imagination?

Sure, it would have probably blown on landing anyway from the damage/weakened condition required, but the wheel wells aren't pressurized or heated, so between the reduced exterior pressure, and the increase in brittleness as it cold soaks, you could cause a damaged area near bursting to burst.

Questions: 1. Can a tire rupture from altitude on climbout? B. If that happened, would there an indication in the cockpit? III. Is one flat tire considered an emergency, or would you land and taxi semi normally? d. Was it all my imagination?

On one of Frontier's airbuses (airbusi?) we landed and taxied normally. The landing was smoooother and longer (I'm guessing 500' past the markers) than normal. The Frontier guys usually plop them on and this guy/gal landed exceptionally smoothly - sorta like a JetBlue landing. :D

Yes, they can. On my airplane, we can monitor individual tire pressure and temps as well as brake temps. We would also get different levels of warnings of tire failure indications.
Different procedures for different times and indications.
On takeoff at high speed (20 kts prior to V1 or decision speed - keep going and keep the gear extended)

Did it occur on takeoff? Do NOT retract the gear.
Inflight????? May not extend

The real problem for us is spinning tire debris taking out hydraulic and fuel lines. FIRE

Yes, they can. On my airplane, we can monitor individual tire pressure and temps as well as brake temps. We would also get different levels of warnings of tire failure indications.
Different procedures for different times and indications.
On takeoff at high speed (20 kts prior to V1 or decision speed - keep going and keep the gear extended)

Did it occur on takeoff? Do NOT retract the gear.
Inflight????? May not extend

The real problem for us is spinning tire debris taking out hydraulic and fuel lines. FIRE
So if you knew you'd had a blowout, would you inform your passengers and have equipment standing by on landing? Nobody said anything, so I figured either 1) they had no indication in the cockpit, 2) I imagined it, or 3) they didn't want to alarm the passengers because we had already been delayed two hours for mechanical. But I noted the noise in flight, and as soon as we touched down, I immediately thought it sounded like a flat tire.

Transport category aircraft have been designed for tire burst and rim release events for years now. Systems are routed or armored to minimize hazards, similar to rotorburst on engines and APU's.

It does occasionally happen, sounds like yours was pretty benign.

'Gimp

When I flew passengers, then IF there was a problem and we knew about it, then yes I would inform them. However, today I would only if I thought an emergency evacuation would be required. Why? Panic. Hollywood and the news media have everyone wired so that normal everyday events are cause for a major news story (watch Flying in Alaska and in one show the pilots will fly a dangerous crosswind landing).
I do not know EJ170 normal or warning systems. Each manufacturer is different within FAA limits. That airplane may or may not have indications for tire failure. Mine does but then mine is about 8 to 10 times heavier.

So if you knew you'd had a blowout, would you inform your passengers and have equipment standing by on landing? Nobody said anything, so I figured either 1) they had no indication in the cockpit, 2) I imagined it, or 3) they didn't want to alarm the passengers because we had already been delayed two hours for mechanical. But I noted the noise in flight, and as soon as we touched down, I immediately thought it sounded like a flat tire.

Back