Tips

I've worked in machine shop and industrial settings. And, I used to get the weekly accident summaries here at one of the larger auto companies. Top three catagories were pedestrian vs. moving vehicles, falls, and gloves caught in machine tools.

Tell ya what, why don't ya go work in a sheet metal shop. Say one that makes hollow metal doors and metal door frames. Spend the day working around a shear or a punch or even working as a welder. Spend that day without gloves.

After you heal up enough to type again, tell us all how it went.

Just as you know what you are typing about, so do I. There are many industrial environments in which gloves are not optional. Many of the environments do include rapidly moving machinery. I've seen this stuff up close and personal.

Now I do not wear any rings at all...

Another tip: If you have a CFI who follows your preflight and then does his own check of the fuel quantity on your high-wing by twisting off the fuel cap, looking, then twisting it shut again; stand back by the tail and look to make sure the ridge on the caps are lined up straight when he's finished. No need to make a big deal about it, though, unless he didn't actually get one tightened properly.

Another tip: If you have a CFI who follows your preflight and then does his own check of the fuel quantity on your high-wing by twisting off the fuel cap, looking, then twisting it shut again; stand back by the tail and look to make sure the ridge on the caps are lined up straight when he's finished. No need to make a big deal about it, though, unless he didn't actually get one tightened properly.

Or fly a low wing where they are much easier to double check. :D

Is there a story to go with this tip?

I always glance at the caps to confirm they are straight during my final 10 second walk around of the plane. But I don't think i've ever had a CFI double check fuel on me.

Not sure I can vouch for the keys in the baggage compartment trick. I did that on the Cirrus once with the main doors locked...had to borrow some welding wire and a flat screwdriver from the FBO to get the compartment door open! Still haven't heard the end of that one.

Chiming In:

Don't put your fingers inside the space between the wing and aileron when checking the counter weights or control rod, especially if another pilot is checking the aileron on the other side of the plane...ouch.

I always leave the keys in the baggage door until I have stowed everything away, then lock the door and put the keys on my fuel selector and do not touch them until I am settled in to the plane, then it's an easy look down to retrieve them, and make sure the selector is on 'both' and the trim is set to T-O. This gets a double check again as per my checklist during runup.

Chiming In:

Don't put your fingers inside the space between the wing and aileron when checking the counter weights or control rod, especially if another pilot is checking the aileron on the other side of the plane...ouch.
Good one. Wind will also move the aileron. I use one hand to hold the aileron up while the other runs along the rivets on the metal and the weights. Make sure to remove the rivet hand before moving the aileron hand along to the next spot.

Is there a story to go with this tip?

I always glance at the caps to confirm they are straight during my final 10 second walk around of the plane. But I don't think i've ever had a CFI double check fuel on me.
Actually, I have a very nice CFI who takes the GATS jar from me to pour back into the tank and dips the fuel so I don't need to climb up on the wing. But I do check to see that the caps are on straight.

I never get out of the plane without installing the gust lock.. did that too many times only to have my CFI 'remind me'.

I also do a quick walk around right before getting in to make sure every thing's closed and to check that i didn't miss some big picture item during the preflight. I think that habit annoyed one of my instructors.

I was always taught to do a walk around after the pre flight. Now that I think about it, my CFI gets annoyed when I do it.

During my training my instructor and I often flew to Ocala (KOCF) and had breakfast. One summer morning, when we had started a bit later than usual, I took off my headset and laid it on the glare shield. We went in for breakfast and about 45 minutes later came out and after a brief pre-flight got in the plane. When I put on my headset, Yow! it was HOT. He laughed and said "I bet you never do that again." He was right. Don't leave you headset in the sun.

John

During my training my instructor and I often flew to Ocala (KOCF) and had breakfast. One summer morning, when we had started a bit later than usual, I took off my headset and laid it on the glare shield. We went in for breakfast and about 45 minutes later came out and after a brief pre-flight got in the plane. When I put on my headset, Yow! it was HOT. He laughed and said "I bet you never do that again." He was right. Don't leave you headset in the sun.

John

I'm always worried about that with gel-seal earcups on my headset. If they get hot, I put them on, and they rupture and the magma-like goo slides down my neck, that would not be fun.

As a related, yet opposite, tip: If you have gel seals and leave your headset in the plane when it's cold enough to freeze, clamp the headset onto your knee/leg while you get seatbelt/in-cabin preflight/engine startup completed. Usually doesn't take long for the gel to thaw enough to wear them comfortably.

Not sure I can vouch for the keys in the baggage compartment trick. I did that on the Cirrus once with the main doors locked...had to borrow some welding wire and a flat screwdriver from the FBO to get the compartment door open! Still haven't heard the end of that one.

Several years ago my key was in the ignition, engine OFF. I got out of the Skyhawk to check something and the door locked when I shut it(and the copilot door was already locked). What to do!

A fellow in the club house said, "Here, try this one." I did, and it worked. What was it? "Oh, that's the key for the riding lawnmower. Remember, boy, anyone can get into a Cessna."

HR

I don't leave the Towbar on anywhere where the engine might be started.

It stays on in the hanger but that is about the only place.

Brian

One of the first items on my preflight checklist is to check mags off. The key goes in at the point. I know where it is, and it is really easy to check the mag setting.

No doubt some expert here will chime in on how this practice will cause the airplane to break in two and the world to end.

Back