Tips wanted from any Aztec drivers...

Kuma

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kuma
So after years of pining I finally found a light twin that satisfies all of my wants and needs. My new to me Aztec turbo is supposedly going to pre-buy sometime this week. The insurance company wants at least 5 hours of dual with an MEI before they will sign me off to solo her.

I was wondering if any experienced Aztec pilots on here have any wisdom to share? I have heard she is an extremely docile aircraft. Was wondering if there are any characteristics I should be aware of/study up on before taking ownership. I am not asking for advice on airplane purchasing/ownership, I have got plenty of experience there, more just flying characteristics and possibly any common maintenance foibles.

Thanks in advance...

So after years of pining I finally found a light twin that satisfies all of my wants and needs. My new to me Aztec turbo is supposedly going to pre-buy sometime this week. The insurance company wants at least 5 hours of dual with an MEI before they will sign me off to solo her.

I was wondering if any experienced Aztec pilots on here have any wisdom to share? I have heard she is an extremely docile aircraft. Was wondering if there are any characteristics I should be aware of/study up on before taking ownership. I am not asking for advice on airplane purchasing/ownership, I have got plenty of experience there, more just flying characteristics and possibly any common maintenance foibles.

Thanks in advance...

:needpics:

Congratulations!
Yes, I know, maybe a bit early for pics if it's just going into pre-purchase inspection. Hope it passes with no issues!
What year/model?

Pre-purchase: A few thoughts.
Pay to have a thorough job done at this stage. Specific to the Aztec:
  • Get under the floorboards and inspect the tube structure carefully with a mirror for corrosion;
  • Pull the right side panel right behind the cabin door and have a good look at the hydraulic actuator cylinder for the flaps. These can leak, and the stupid insulation Piper used can absorb the fluid for a long time before any drips out where you can see it. Check the torque tube for cracks.
  • Check the dates on the hydraulic hoses, and also the last time the power pack was overhauled. The latter is a PITA if you have to remove it to repair.
  • Pull out the LH side emergency exit window and do a thorough inspection of the fuselage area below it for corrosion. If the window has leaked in the past it can create problems with the tube structure and skins below the window.
  • Make sure the AD for the step has been done and there is no distortion of the tube structure where the step attaches below the floorboards.

As for flying it, it is one of the most straight forward to fly twins out there imo. The Vmc is so low you are through it before you leave the ground, and through blue line before you can get the gear up. Stall speed with full flap for this 5200 lb gross plane is a ridiculous 55 knots. This is one of the reasons I own one; I like all those sorts of numbers. Single engine work is about as uneventful as one could imagine - you really have to screw up to get into trouble; but as with every single airplane out there it is still possible.

Biggest in flight issue is they are not well cooled. Even though it is tightly cowled for its vintage, the cowling design is poor; in part because they do not have enough outlet area. You will probably notice this on your CHTs even more than I do, given yours is a turbocharged model. These airplanes really benefit from an engine monitor and CHT measurement on all 12 cylinders. I run with cowl flaps 1/2 to full open all the time down low, in warm weather. Make sure your baffles are as good as can be, and seal well.

If you have de-ice you'll find it works really well on the Aztec, as does the heated alternate air if you ice up the filtered inlets. The plane can carry a lot of ice, but its nice to know the de-ice system is effective when you need it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You beat me to it... Keep the cowl flaps full open during climb and keep your climb speed high. Cruise power increases won't equate to speed increases you'd like. It's not exactly a slippery machine. It's draggy, but that makes landings easy and short.

I have a buddy who has a -F. Maybe I'll see if I can "borrow" it from him for a while. It's a big truck and it flies like it.

The useful load is about the same as the gross weight of a fully loaded C-172!

:needpics:

Congratulations!
Yes, I know, maybe a bit early for pics if it's just going into pre-purchase inspection. Hope it passes with no issues!
What year/model?

Thanks for the help so far. Some real gold already and I appreciate it.

It is a 1973 "E" turbo model. Same year I was born so perhaps there is some luck in that.

I will post pics once the sales agreement is inscribed on parchment and I've been out to see her again (I know, I sound like a jealous suitor.)

Any advice specific to the care and feeding of a turbo model? I am getting that proper cooling is something to pay attention to and moreso in this model. Having had to replace a turbo actuator once in my Cummins truck I am not keen to having to do similar, or worse, in an airplane.

Thanks for the help so far. Some real gold already and I appreciate it.

It is a 1973 "E" turbo model. Same year I was born so perhaps there is some luck in that.

I will post pics once the sales agreement is inscribed on parchment and I've been out to see her again (I know, I sound like a jealous suitor.)

Any advice specific to the care and feeding of a turbo model? I am getting that proper cooling is something to pay attention to and moreso in this model. Having had to replace a turbo actuator once in my Cummins truck I am not keen to having to do similar, or worse, in an airplane.

Mine is not a turbo. But the turbo controls on your Aztec are quite sophisticated by light airplane standards. There are two controllers on each engine. One for full throttle operation and a second for partial throttle operation. The system shares some design characteristics with the turbo control system on the Piper Navajos. One of the keys is to make sure you find an old grizzled mechanic who is familiar with that system and can set it up properly.

Aztecs are fantastic airplanes, but do not expect you are going to get up really high and go really fast, even with the turbocharged engines. It's got a fat, high lift Super Cub wing, which has lots of advantages. But the one disadvantage is it is not high aspect ratio and it does not like thin air. I rarely take mine above 15,000 ft, and I suspect you won't much like the way yours handles above 18,000.

Last edited:
I’m the same year and was window shopping a turbo e. Let us know after the deal closes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only tip service industry workers. Sorry.

Back