Tips for transitioning to different more complex airplane type.

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I'm not getting much flying in, been mostly staying current on 172s, transitioning to a T-34. There is no formal training program. Misc manuals are old, have a few different checklists etc.

My own mental TO-DO list? I think I need to read the the old POH a few times, read through the 2-3 check lists, emergency procedures, review maneuvers in a complex type, read the manuals on the weird old radios, review operation of old instruments, before I climb into it with an instructor again.

Did I miss anything, is there a better more efficient approach?

I don't know about T-34s, but older POHs tend to be very brief with sometimes limited information. For any transition to a different aircraft, I almost consider the training as getting a "type rating" for that model, regardless of complexity, etc. A good way to approach your situation might be to follow the format of a newer-style POH using the chapter headings as a guide to your specific aircraft. General info (engine model, voltage, etc.). Limitations, including Vspeeds, gross weight, maximum continuous power and rpm, etc. You don't necessarily have to memorize everything like redlines for oil pressure (they are after all, marked on the gauge), but a thorough study will cause you to at least look at everything. Then, as you suggest, Emergency procedures, then Normal Procedures. Performance, should include a working knowledge of any charts or tables, and run enough examples to give you a general idea of things like required runway length, etc. Weight and Balance next, again, familiarity with charts and tables, and examples covering several common scenarios. Then Systems, you'll want a good thorough understanding of the basics of your engine and prop, fuel system, electrical, flight controls, landing gear, even the heater, etc. Then, peripheral 'systems' like specific radios, etc. that may be installed in your machine.
Note that this pretty much follows the chapter layout of newer POHs, and works for any transition. It's also not unlike the ground training format for Flight Safety programs for type ratings in big iron jets.

I like to make my own checklists for every airplane I fly. It forces you to go through the poh in detail to pull out the speeds and procedures. It also forces you to chair fly through the procedures to think about what things don't need to be on the checklist and what things you might forget.

There is also a lot of value in just sitting on the aircraft and walking through the procedures, touching the controls, and building that muscle memory.

Take a CFI with you, preferably one that's is familiar with that airframe. Failing that, someone who is familiar with that airframe. I bet there are probably a couple hundred folks who know that plane well lurking on this site. Or they know the newer model well, at least.

I like the mock type rating suggestion above. Have a friend or instructor with experience in the type quiz you on systems and emergency procedures until you can teach them. Get an instructor to give you a full flight review in the type rather than a simple check-out. At least check what knowledge and tasks are required to earn a type rating for your level of pilot certificate and then pretend that those things are required for the new type of plane, even though an actual type rating isn't.

The hardest thing about the T-34A/B is the "hot-start" checklist. The first couple of times you do it, you'll swear the originator of that procedure must've had 4 hands. But, you'll get used it.

If you're able to, sit in the cockpit and do "dry-drills" on the checklist. All the red-line emergency procedures must be memorized. So make sure you know the systems. It will help you to understand why the checklist is written the way it is. Also, knowing the performance parameters cold will help immensely with cruise/climb/descent power settings.

The T-34 is a pretty docile aircraft. But, it can be unforgiving with accelerated stalls. If you have not had any kind of UPRT or aerobatic training, I strongly recommend it ! Also do your GUMP check every time. Don't just say it, see it!

If you're flying the T-34B, you'll likely have a copy of the Navy NATOPS manual. There are NATOPS "pocket-checklists" available online as well.

Back