Tips for Taxiing in a 172

The 172N I rent is nearly imposible to Taxi without using the brakes... On a straight portion and gentl curves, I can get by with rudder only and do just fine, bet any sharp turn toward a runway I have to use the brakes to initiate it. I think I use the differential braking much more then I should, but its the only plane I have taxi'd so unsure.. Suppose if I ever buy a Grumman I will have the brake steering down by then...

One thing I noticed, lately I am getting more nose wheel shimmy on takeoff and landing. Could that be an indication that the play in the steering bungies are worn out or loose? Before it rarely shimmied... Its to the point now that when I have my GoPro on the strut that my video of takeoffs shake like mad until I lift the nose a bit..

Marc

One thing I noticed, lately I am getting more nose wheel shimmy on takeoff and landing. Could that be an indication that the play in the steering bungies are worn out or loose? Before it rarely shimmied... Its to the point now that when I have my GoPro on the strut that my video of takeoffs shake like mad until I lift the nose a bit..

Marc

Number one cause of nosewheel shimmy is a dynamically imbalanced tire/wheel assembly. When you get your car tires changed, they balance them so they won't shimmy and shake. When you get a new nosewheel tire, nobody balances it. I used to do it when I worked on small aircraft and shimmy was a rare thing for me. Cessna has an old service bulletin on it, and you can buy the Goodyear aircraft stick-on weights from Aviall.

Other factors are worn torque links, steering collar stuff, and the shimmy damper. Many guys try to stop the shimmy by refilling the damper, but if the other factors are there it does little or no good.

Dan

99 has no rude trim right?

Had a 172 behave just like you describe once, but it was due to a broken rudder trim mechanism.

During your next preflight, when slumping the strainer, locate where the steering arms attach to the strut. Shake it, or atleast try to. If it wiggles report it.

Hi Pistol Pete. If you expect the 172 to behave like a Piper with regard to steering on the ground, you will be disappointed. It is not set up the same way and will not respond the same. Using the brakes to help making a turn when you need to is (in my opinion) not dragging the brakes. It is just like flying. Do whatever you need to do to get the airplane to do what you want it to.

I had a heck of a time getting used to the 172 after switching from the Cherokees I'd been flying. It didn't take long to get the hang of it though. I just use the rudder pedals early and all the way, and use a little brake on the inside wheel to get the turn started. No biggie. Yes, totally different than the Cherokee but manageable.

I had a heck of a time getting used to the 172 after switching from the Cherokees I'd been flying. It didn't take long to get the hang of it though. I just use the rudder pedals early and all the way, and use a little brake on the inside wheel to get the turn started. No biggie. Yes, totally different than the Cherokee but manageable.

There you go!

Well I'll be damned. The thread made me go look.

The Skylane nosegear will only turn approximately 11 degrees left or right without adding differential braking. 29 degrees if you stand on a brake.

Skyhawk nosegear is virtually identical, but feel free to look up specifics in your POH.

4b94241c-0691-a807.jpg

(This also means you can test it. Taxi in an open flat area with the pedal on the floor and once the turn is established, shut down, get out and measure how many degrees the nose wheel is turned. Repeat both ways. If its significantly lower than the POH numbers, suspect weak bungees.)

If this would be a maintenance issue, I think you owe the owner an official squawk. If that was my only squawk with the deal I'd just ride the brake as needed.

With 25 hours, is it fair to assume you're still flying with an instructor, at least some of the time? If so, ask the CFI to taxi the plane and watch (and feel) how he does it. Ask if he/she thinks the plane is more difficult (or maybe just different) from others.

I think the 172R we usually fly is kinda worn out a bit. It's one of their active trainer aircraft. We took out a 172SP that nobody really ever uses and it taxied much like I expected it should after reading the POH. I hardly ever had to touch the brake.

Next time I take out the 172R we normally fly, I'll see if I can wiggle those steering arms someone mentioned earlier.

On a side note, I rather liked the 172SP...

Come to think about it the one reason I love the 150 (flew it Wednesday night) is because it is the first airplane I've piloted (out of 6 so far) that RESPONDS. Even on the ground, for a very sharp turn, I do NOT need the brakes. Not one bit. As long as I'm at the right power setting, I can use very light control inputs. I love that plane. The 172 feels like molasses.

I love the 150 because it is the only one so far that I don't need the seat ALL THE WAY FRONT to get full deflection on the pedals and add an additional seat cushion for reach... short stumpy legs suck.

I thought this thread was written for me. I have flown/taxied many planes over the years including owning or at least owning 1/3 of a PA 24 Comanche 180 and have not had difficulty taxing any airplanes. Now, I am flying and trying to ground steer this 172 Bravo model and on the ground it handles like my first go cart only rougher.

Back