Tips for Taking PPL Written?

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
I am taking my PPL written exam in 3 days. Anyone have any tips or advice? I think I am decently well-prepared, at least according to practice test scores, but am a bit nervous about the actual test! I only have a little over 10 hours, but I've been studying for this with the free FAA books for quite a while as I was saving up to actually start flight lessons. Of all the students at my flight school right now, I am the first to take this, and I have the least life experience with aviation. Can anyone tell me I am not crazy? :p

Thanks, everyone!

Haha, yeah, I guess if I am doing this, I am a little crazy! Thanks, though! :)

I don't know if they've changed or improved the testing procedure since I took it 5 years ago but as a heads up I'll say make sure the test supplement they give you matches the test that you are given. I apparently took the test just after a new supplement came out and was given the prior version which did not match the questions exactly. It did match close enough that I finished most of the test before starting to think I was crazy or blind. "Why am I not seeing that town on this map...". Well, because they gave me the wrong map snippet! This cost me so much time once I brought it to the attention of the proctor and got the correct supplement, having to go back and make sure I didn't answer anything wrong based on having the wrong illustration.

That probably doesn't happen often and maybe they have engineered that sort of mistake out of the process. (Hmm..., enter test supplement ID here, ... Error!)

Good point! That is probably not something I would think to look at. Thanks for the tip!

Call the testing center before you leave. No guarantee it will be open for testing.

You have to now schedule online to take the test. Just don’t show up at a testing center

I took mine in January. It was a lot easier than I had thought it would be. I only missed a couple of trick questions

You have to now schedule online to take the test. Just don’t show up at a testing center

I took mine in January. It was a lot easier than I had thought it would be. I only missed a couple of trick questions

Yep, I did that last night - scheduled online through PSI and got the confirmation email to prove it! I am hoping mine is easier than I think it will be, too!

Don’t feel pressed for time...you’ll have plenty.
Go through and answer all the easy/straightforward ones first, then go back and ponder the tougher ones.
Remember you only have to get, what?, 60% right.....easy/peasy.

Go through and answer all the easy/straightforward ones first, then go back and ponder the tougher ones.

True. I would love to get a high 90s score, though. ;) My CFI keeps telling me I am an overachiever and I know he is right.

Also, any comments on helpfulness of a plotter for the test? I have read people saying that they loved having their plotter and people saying it didn't really work. I just got mine last week, so I don't have a good idea yet how much I personally might use it.

Tips for taking ANY test that you can jump around:

First go though and answer all the softball questions. Skip anything that requires calculation or you are not 100% sure about
Next go though and answer all the questions that may take a bit of thought, skip everything else
Next do do the calculation questions with same methodology as above
Last and ONLY last tackle the questions you are unsure of.

That process helps build confidence and jogs the memory for many.

70%. Higher is better but not required.

I am taking my PPL written exam in 3 days. Anyone have any tips or advice? I think I am decently well-prepared, at least according to practice test scores, but am a bit nervous about the actual test! I only have a little over 10 hours, but I've been studying for this with the free FAA books for quite a while as I was saving up to actually start flight lessons. Of all the students at my flight school right now, I am the first to take this, and I have the least life experience with aviation. Can anyone tell me I am not crazy? :p

Thanks, everyone!

Get knee crawlin commode huggin drunk the night before. Or, get a good nights sleep. Or stay up all night cramming. Nah, don’t stay up.

You guys are great. Thanks for the tips, Shawn and luvflyin! :) I think, though, I will skip the drunk part since I have to get up and drive to get there. (Also, as a completely off-topic aside, do people actually like the taste of that stuff, or just the effects? I haven't ever found anything alcohol that I could stand more than one sip of -- granted, of course, that I haven't looked very hard...)

Sleep is probably harder to accomplish, but will definitely try! Anyone have an opinion on a "dark day" before a test? I am planning to do most of my review today and mostly relaxation techniques tomorrow evening. ;)

Do as many sample tests as possible. If you're acing the practice test you're going to do very well.

The part that hangs up most people is; many of the answers to a number of the questions are correct, however there is one answer that is most correct.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to write back! These are all such good things to keep in mind! So far, my testing site has not made it to the closed list, so hopefully it stays that way until after I get this puppy done. And I will make sure I actually read the test. ;) Now, off to do some review before my lunch break is up!

Don’t stress out about it. It’s actually pretty easy.

I know it's hard but don't worry. If you're passing the practice tests, you'll do fine on the real one.

Thanks, guys! I don't know that I will succeed in not worrying about it, but I will do my best. :) Only one more full day now...

I'm in a similar boat. I only have 4 hours under my belt but completed the Gold Seal GS. I'm going to hold off on taking the written until I have around 30 hours. I figure it'll give me more time to review the written stuff, while also giving me time to apply the ground school to real world flying, where it hopefully will make things more concrete. No rush to get it done.

Back