Tips For Resealing Tank Access Plates

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Three of the 4 tank access plates on the R wing of my Grumman Tiger have been seeping fuel, (no drops, stains after a week).

I ordered the sealant kit and plan to reseal it when I the fuel sender. Anybody got any tips to share for something like this?

Thanks

Make sure that the seals on the nuts/nutplates have not been damaged, make sure you use the correct length of screws so you don't damage the seals on the nutplates, and use the correct type of sealant.

Someone in the past used screws that were too long on the access plates, damaging the nutplates, then used the wrong kind of sealant in the tanks in an attempt to fix same. It was a cost of many AMUs to fix it - fabricating and getting new nut plates approved by DER, removing the bad sealant (that was flaking), flushing the entire fuel system.

Totally preventable.

Have all new screws on hand before you start. Also an air driven impact tool will make removing the old hardware a lot easier.

I have the low adhesion sealat on order. Good idea on having extra hardware. The IPC lists standard NAS dome nuts, I wouldn't think they would be that hard to source. Thanks

Back