Tips for planning a "long" VFR-only XC

Any beaches worth going in the North?
Anywhere on the Maine coast. Bar Harbor is my wife's favorite. Hampton, NH has a grass strip quite close to the beach IIRC.
Andover-Aeroflex and Blairstown are beautiful airports, especially in the fall. Andover also has the benefit of having a flight school where you can do tail-wheel training (J-3), bush flight training (Cub Crafters Super Cub), and aerobatics (Stearman).
Is Andover-Aeroflex the one kind of nestled between some ponds/lakes? The first time I ever had the wife up (long before we were even engaged) we dropped in there around 9am on a severe clear winter morning after a hoarfrost and freezing rain the day before. The forests around there glistened in that low sun angle. I always wanted to head back there in fall, but moved 500+ miles away about a month after that flight.

So the trip is only 8 days away now!
I've been looking at forecast (just the weather channel for now) and looks like everywhere but the north for the next 2 weeks is scattered thunderstorms. I was reading a thread on flying VFR during scattered thunderstorms and it looks like scattered t-storms are not for sure a deal breaker just have to use more caution. We still dont know where we want to go but our choices are as follows, by priority:

1. KPGV --> KAVL (stay overnight) --> KJWN (stay overnight)--> KPGV

2. KPGV --> KAVL (stay overnight) --> KFTY (stay overnight) --> KPGV

3. KPGV --> KCDW (stay 2 nights) --> KFFA --> KPGV

Weather wise, KCDW is looking like the best option but will need to keep checking. I would be forever grateful if the more experienced help me track weather systems at those destinations? Pweeez :)

MAYBE even KPGV --> KAVL --> KCDW --> KFFA -->KPGV

Still up in the air, no pun lol

8 days is still to far out for any accurate forecasting, have alternate plans. Unless a major system is anchored overhead, ‘some portion’ or most days(daylight) is VFR flyable. One needs to stay flexible with plans.

Often weather systems(not pop-up CBs) come from a westernly component, in North America. With good weather, flying West can ensure better options for getting home, should a system present itself.

With 8 days to work with, maybe allot 3 for primarily flying, the others for activities. With flexibility, the best WX days are reserved for flying. Another idea is to not go as far. It’s easier to fly 2.5 hours than 10, ensuring cooperative weather. If it came to it, rental car options would be easier.

I’d have ideas in the back of the mind for almost all points of the compass. Flexibility means no reservations until the day of. One should be able to land at an unexpected stop, and find yourself at a cozy Craft Brewery within 90 minutes.

The ‘red tide’ is scaring away tourists from the West coast of FL, maybe go check it out?

One should be able to land at an unexpected stop, and find yourself at a cozy Craft Brewery within 90 minutes.
...and immediately order and begin chugging your first beer. That is my method of forcing an 8-hour timeout from those "should I chance it flying home?" thoughts that can kill you.

...and immediately order and begin chugging your first beer. That is my method of forcing an 8-hour timeout from those "should I chance it flying home?" thoughts that can kill you.

I did just that in TN years ago. The phone briefer was REALLY strong into the ‘VFR flight not reccomended’ refrain, strong line of storms blocking. I went to the watering hole & called it a night. The rest of the story included a strained ATP checkride earlier.

Well I have the plane from Thursday 23rd- Tuesday the 28th. Im thinking of getting night current on Thursday night (not planning on night flying but better be current than not, just in case). I want to leave Friday morning or as early as weather will allow me to.
We plan on staying at our destination(s) Friday night, Saturday night and returning on Sunday, what ever time of day is best weather-wise. That will leave me all of Sunday, Monday and till noon on Tuesday to return. If I am reading prog charts correctly, it appears as if a cold front will pass by Thursday(23rd), maybe bringing better weather by Friday(24th) and no other fronts seem to be following close behind, maybe giving me a better chance for not so shi**y weather on the return flight

We have decided to stay within our state vicinity and just make a few extra stops and destinations. Our current plan is as follows, and obviously it can change at any time:

Friday morning : KPGV -> KFFA -> W95 (Stay the night at Ocracoke Friday night)
Saturday morning: W95 -> KPGV(fuel) ->KLUA -> KAVL (stay the night in Asheville Saturday night)
Sunday morning: KAVL -> KHKY -> KPGV

That leaves us all of Sunday, all of Monday and till noon on Tuesday to safely return/

We have decided to stay within our state vicinity and just make a few extra stops and destinations. Our current plan is as follows, and obviously it can change at any time:

Friday morning : KPGV -> KFFA -> W95 (Stay the night at Ocracoke Friday night)
Saturday morning: W95 -> KPGV(fuel) ->KLUA -> KAVL (stay the night in Asheville Saturday night)
Sunday morning: KAVL -> KHKY -> KPGV

That leaves us all of Sunday, all of Monday and till noon on Tuesday to safely return/

FYI the restaurant on the field at HKY is closed on sundays.

In NC, their are lots of places to go. When we lived there we were all over the eastern seaboard. Lots to do. Also, night flights are amazing.

And at night if you have a plane problem, and you don’t like your off field landing spot. Just turn off the light!

Afternoon buildups are mostly easy to go around, or beneath. The only problem with beneath is it can get HOT.

FYI the restaurant on the field at HKY is closed on sundays.

while I would highly recommend checking out the sierra nevada brewery (for food and drink), here's a quick map of places real close to AVL that all have food (but not all open on sunday)

food

in order of eman-recommended/approved, highest to lowest:

AVL - sierra nevada brewery for both food and beer, otherwise find a place in Asheville (the airport and brewery are south of most of the walkable action) for food/beer, plenty of options
GMU - great burger, can taxi plane right up to the place, good view of planes taking off and landing, great aviation themed playground if u got young kids
EHO - great bbq joint a short walk from the ramp. I had a "holy sh#$ this is a dayum good samich" moment when I went there a week ago
FQD - decent food, tiny lil joint on the field, outdoor patio seating
HKY - has food, decent burger, nothing crazy, but also has old planes (museum) you can check out

Last edited:
Back