Tipping at the FBO

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
Greetings all !

Is it expected to tip line personnel or others at FBOs when receiving their services ?

jdwatson said:
Greetings all !

Is it expected to tip line personnel or others at FBOs when receiving their services ?
No. However, tipping for exceptional service is always appropriate. You get to define what "exceptional service" means, and I suspect like Justice Stewart, you will know it when you see it.

Just MHO. -Skip

Personally, I always try to give the line guy something. Usually it is in the range of 2 to 5 bucks. Cheap compared to the overall cost of the flying itself. This is probably the most cost effective money I've ever spent while flying. At my home base I notice that the fuel truck arrives at my hanger faster and ahead of folks that have called prior to my call. At remote airports the line guy at least appears to listen when I tell him about the turn limit on the nose gear.

Len

jdwatson said:
Greetings all !

I tip for: lav service, catering, bringing ice/coffee/newspapers out to the airplane, pinning the gear after shutdown, removing the pins after the airplane's been brought in front of the FBO, and washing the windows.

But not for fueling the airplane. :)

My Thrifty 150 needed to go for its Annual at an airport not far from where I'm presently based; and my newest CFI hasn't soloed me in my latest purchase. I showed up at the FBO about 15 minutes before closing, inquired of one of the line guys(ERAU Daytona student) if he'd like to fly my plane to XXX. "Sure, just as soon as we get closed down." I drove to the alternate location to await him and was glad to hear him say, "Man, she flies real nice." One of the other line guys(both of them certificated Commercial) had come along for the flight. I bought them dinner at the near-by Chick-a-Dee Restaurant.

HR

At Laughlin/Bullhead. IMHO they have the worst FBO crew out of anyplace i have been. Generaly lazy kids that just want to sit in the air conditioned trailor and watch tv. They wont monitor frequency, and they are the only ones who can let you in and out of the airport. that being said. They have a sign on their golf carts "tips accepted" and a tip jar by their tv in the trailor.
Way tacky!

Michael

I don't tip for fueling and I don't get newspapers, coffee etc bought out to the Archer or Tiger heh heh but did Tip when the line guy drove me and spouse and luggage out to Municipal bus stop in front of airport in the FBO van.

I tip sometimes if the service is exceptional.

When we were scheduled to depart North Carolina in a driving rain the line guys brought the Bonanza into a hangar and dried it off around the doors, loaded the bags, helped my family in (one was a cancer patient and she couldn't step into the airplane by herself), and then towed us out into the rain for the start up. I tipped the two guys $20.

I always tip the guys who run me into town and always leave money if one of the guys loans me his personal car. I don't tip for standard services (fuel, etc).

If a line guy or A&P does anything "right now" besides fueling, unless they put me in the front of the line for fuel, they get enough money out of me to make them look at the bills twice and wonder if I made a mistake. Then they say thanks, and really mean it, and so do I.

If it's some lazy ass incompitent that thinks a tip is for showing up at work, I forget it.

Last edited:
jdwatson said:
Greetings all !

I give the three regular line guys here at N99 $20 each at Christmas. They seem to appreciate it. One guy brings in a case of beer at Christmas for the linemen. They seem to appreciate that, too :)

Michael said:
At Laughlin/Bullhead. IMHO they have the worst FBO crew out of anyplace i have been. Generaly lazy kids that just want to sit in the air conditioned trailor and watch tv. They wont monitor frequency, and they are the only ones who can let you in and out of the airport. that being said. They have a sign on their golf carts "tips accepted" and a tip jar by their tv in the trailor.
Way tacky!

Michael

Hey Michael,
The tip jars there are tacky, but they guys did seem to be 'somewhat' helpful when we stopped in. Although I've only been there twice.

Hopefully they'll get better since we just bought a place out there.

AirBaker said:
Hey Michael,
The tip jars there are tacky, but they guys did seem to be 'somewhat' helpful when we stopped in. Although I've only been there twice.

Hopefully they'll get better since we just bought a place out there.

I wish you the best with the new plane. Are you keeping it at IFP? My real problem with bullhead is there is NOWAY to get to your plane unless the FBO opens the gate for you. You cant even get out of the airport. Alot of people fly into bullhead to go gamble in Laughlin, and when they want to leave, if its after 9pm, they have to call the after hour number and pay 75 bucks to have someone open the gate. I just stopped going there alltogether, Its a pain because my girlfriend lives there.
I do hope they get better, but I serriously doubt it. I talked with the airport manager, and they told me they dont give gate access to "regular" pilots. whatever that means. I tried to tell em I wasnt a "regular" pilot, I flew a mooney..but that didnt impress them much. LOL

Michael

Edit..I see you bought a Place, not plane...Welcome to the neighbor hood. when are you moving?

Michael said:
I wish you the best with the new plane. Are you keeping it at IFP? My real problem with bullhead is there is NOWAY to get to your plane unless the FBO opens the gate for you. You cant even get out of the airport. Alot of people fly into bullhead to go gamble in Laughlin, and when they want to leave, if its after 9pm, they have to call the after hour number and pay 75 bucks to have someone open the gate. I just stopped going there alltogether, Its a pain because my girlfriend lives there.
I do hope they get better, but I serriously doubt it. I talked with the airport manager, and they told me they dont give gate access to "regular" pilots. whatever that means. I tried to tell em I wasnt a "regular" pilot, I flew a mooney..but that didnt impress them much. LOL

Michael

Edit..I see you bought a Place, not plane...Welcome to the neighbor hood. when are you moving?

Couldn't you use your commercial rating and tell them you're doing sightseeing flights or something ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Couldn't you use your commercial rating and tell them you're doing sightseeing flights or something ?

Dave, I could'nt get a straight answer out of them as to who is considered not "regular". I assume, if you bought a hangar you might be considered "regular", but am not sure.

Michael

Back