Tinted Plexiglass

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
Wondering if there is a downside to installing LP Aero UV Protection tinted plexiglass on a singe engine piston IFR high wing non air-conditioned airplane. I'm thinking UV Protection all the way around, Gray windshield, and Dark Gray on the other locations (doors, back seat windows, and aft window).

Would this be problematic at night, or are there any disadvantages to doing this?

My 180 got green tinted windows on all except the rear-most sometime in the late 80's. I don't have any issues with it at all and actually like it on really sunny days. The only way you can really tell is by looking at the shadow of the plane if light is shining through the windows.

Dark grey on the door windows can't exceed 30% blockage (not sure the exact technical term). Most people I know that have them, seem to like them. Also, acrylic is not that UV resistant, so the UV blocking tints are good for reducing visits to the dermatologist with his can of nitrogen.

My current are light smoke. When I flew much at night I liked clear.

I used a "Static Cling" tint on my windows. Dark in the rear and lighter on the doors to be legal, but the do look darker since it is darker inside. UV down tremendously, making i much more comfortable inside. No problem seeing out and I can actually see aircraft better when it is hazy outside through the door tint.paint_compare.jpg

I used a "Static Cling" tint on my windows. Dark in the rear and lighter on the doors to be legal, but the do look darker since it is darker inside. UV down tremendously, making i much more comfortable inside. No problem seeing out and I can actually see aircraft better when it is hazy outside through the door tint.View attachment 63991

Looks sweet, but the OP was asking about night as well, and I'm curious also. Any reductions in visibility or other issues at night?

4B4B5DD5-20F8-4A90-8AFC-0B17F3CC4A73.jpeg
Looks sweet, but the OP was asking about night as well, and I'm curious also. Any reductions in visibility or other issues at night?
No, not really. I have flown several times at night and looking for lighting groups like towns or lights along a river street lights are no problem. Most of the time I’m looking out the front and actually don’t notice anything different looking from front to side window.

The big thing is getting it on a very clean window with no ripples. I put it on just like you would regular one with a couple drops of Dawn in a bottle of water and soaking everything. Put the tiny on and spray again. Use a squeegee to get all the bubbles out.

Why? Was there a noticeable difference in visibility, or was it bordering on dangerous?
I think anything that reduces vision at night isn't good. An no reason to have in particular. I have several pair of non-polorized sunglasses. I don't wear them at night either.

Someone posted this on Beechtalk and had just ordered a set, it could solve the night flying issue I guess. They're just a little more expensive than static window tint though: https://jet-shades.com/ Seems like they only support Bonanza and Cirrus currently as far as piston props go.

How much of the UV radiation we are exposed to in the 10k foot level, say, does tinting block? Anyone know?

I have liked the look of Commanders since the first time I saw a photo of one. Yours is one sharp looking aircraft.

With trailing link gear, every landing is a greaser!

0gbystr.jpg
I have darker grey tint on the rear windows and a light tint on the front and the first row of windows. Night is not any problem at all. The big advantages are how much more comfortable my passengers are above the clouds in sunlight and the plane doesn't get as hot on the ground.

^^^ nice looking plane!

I can't find the reference right now, but when I was researching, I remember reading 99% of UV is blocked.
Here's what a Denver doc has to say:
“Here in Denver, the mile high city, we have 25 percent more U.V. in the ambient light than compared to the same light level at sea level,” said dermatologist Dr. Neil Box. “At 10,000 feet you’re at 50 percent more U.V. than at sea level. Ultraviolet light or U.V. is one of the main causes of skin cancer.”

How much of the UV radiation we are exposed to in the 10k foot level, say, does tinting block? Anyone know?

I can't find the reference right now, but when I was researching, I remember reading 99% of UV is blocked.
Not hardly. The rule of thumb is that with every 3500ft increase in altitude, UV is increased by 10%-12%. Plexiglass nor standard glass blocks UV-A, but it will filter out the UV-B almost completely. This is why you can’t get burnt through your car window, but you can still incur skin damage from the UV-A.

Not hardly. The rule of thumb is that with every 3500ft increase in altitude, UV is increased by 10%-12%. Plexiglass nor standard glass blocks UV-A, but it will filter out the UV-B almost completely. This is why you can’t get burnt through your car window, but you can still incur skin damage from the UV-A.
This is from the Jet Shades web site: (doesn't distingquish UV-A or UV-B)
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Recent research indicates that pilots face twice the risk of skin cancer compared with the general population. For every additional 3,000 feet of altitude above sea level, there is a 15% increase in intensity of UV radiation.

Jet Shades block 99.9% UV radiation and 70% glare - providing instant relief from solar energy.

Just to followup...

I went with LP Aero UV-SG Solar Gray all the way around and am happy with the results. It does appear transparent to look through and it seems to keep the cabin a little cooler. Haven't flown with it at night yet but I don't see that it will be a problem at all.

7778.jpg

Dark grey on the door windows can't exceed 30% blockage (not sure the exact technical term). Most people I know that have them, seem to like them. Also, acrylic is not that UV resistant, so the UV blocking tints are good for reducing visits to the dermatologist with his can of nitrogen.
Why the 30% limit on aircraft? I understand on motor vehicles... Not likely you'll be pulled over by Johnny Law on his sky scooter at FL .35 and above...

Why can't one do Transitions type (eyeglasses) tinting on aircraft windows? It's an applied coating on polycarbonate lenses, why wouldn't it work on aircraft plastics?

Why the 30% limit on aircraft? I understand on motor vehicles... Not likely you'll be pulled over by Johnny Law on his sky scooter at FL .35 and above...

Why can't one do Transitions type (eyeglasses) tinting on aircraft windows? It's an applied coating on polycarbonate lenses, why wouldn't it work on aircraft plastics?
1. Not sure transitions would work on a film application
2. Does transitions block UV?

1. Not sure transitions would work on a film application
2. Does transitions block UV?
On lenses, Transitions make it darker, there is also a UV coating.

I think both are applied coatings... Why can't it be done to aircraft windows?

On lenses, Transitions make it darker, there is also a UV coating.

I think both are applied coatings... Why can't it be done to aircraft windows?
Answering my own question... Transition type photochromic films are available for exterior applications.

Now, the question is... If the windshield/side windows of an airplane block enough of the UV in and of themselves to diminish the photochromic function of the film...

For example, in a motor vehicle, transition lenses do not transition, because of the UV protection in the glass..

What I'm discovering is that the photochromic film may require a two layer application, as the photochromic film will slide off without the base film.

Hmmm...

All new Cessna’s are shipped with lightly tinted plexi. Probably the best window solutions are from Great Lakes Aero. Their quality is outstanding, and frequently needs little trimming. They are the OEM supplier for Cirrus, Mooney, and Great Lake. https://www.glapinc.com/. A statement to their quality.

2 years ago I installed Great Lakes using their UV blocker Solar Control lightly tinted grey. My eye strain was greatly reduced. Also not surprising the plane remains cooler on the ramp with the UV blockers

If interested I posted a blog (diary and non-commercial) about installing the full set of windows in my 182P. http://welch.com/n46pg/category/windows/

Last edited:
I've got "feelers" out to both the substrate and photochromic film manufacturers.

The initial solution may only work for kit planes/homebuilts... But I can certainly see a benefit to GA on the whole....

The inevitable problems would be all the govt approvals/STCs etc for GA aircraft.

But photochromic films last up to 13 years... And since the degree of tint is based on UV plus heat, a variable solution to tinting based on the environment seems pretty cool to me.

I'm sure someone has thought of it before, and found it unworkable/unprofitable for various and sundry reasons. That's disappointing.

Any tint is going to reduce your vision both day and night. The degree of tint will determine how safe it is for flying. I have had several people tell me their tint is fine for night. I had them sit in the aircraft and look out in a dark part of the ramp and then open the canopy/door and look at the same view. One had the tint removed within a week, the other would have needed a new canopy.

Any tint is going to reduce your vision both day and night. The degree of tint will determine how safe it is for flying. I have had several people tell me their tint is fine for night. I had them sit in the aircraft and look out in a dark part of the ramp and then open the canopy/door and look at the same view. One had the tint removed within a week, the other would have needed a new canopy.
Yet another reason for photochromic winders! Clear at night tinted by day...

Last edited:
Cheaper method is no tint and buy sunglasses!

Sunglasses won’t help with skin cancer. Even a very light tint will stop nearly all UV.

Sunglasses won’t help with skin cancer. Even a very light tint will stop nearly all UV.
And they won't help reduce the heat.
But they do look cool, and that is important too!

Back