PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Good News.

MEG imaging finds where tinnitus rings in the brain
By Edward Susman
October 6, 2009

SAN DIEGO - Researchers from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit have found that magnetoencephalography (MEG) imaging can help doctors locate -- and possibly treat -- the part of the brain repsonsible for the mysterious ringing in the ears known as tinnitus.

"While other imaging modalities such as PET and functional MRI [fMRI] indicate general areas in the brain that tinnitus activates, MEG pinpoints that area much better," said Dr. Michael Seidman, director of the division of otologic neurotologic surgery in the department of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

"I make the analogy that PET and fMRI light up an area the size of the state of Michigan, whereas MEG isolates it to a street corner in Detroit," he said, in explaining his presentation at the International Tinnitus Forum, conducted in conjunction with the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) Foundation annual meeting.
In his study, Seidman suggested that using noninvasive MEG might aid in diagnosing tinnitus and may detect a reduction in symptoms after different treatments, offering hope to the more than 50 million patients with tinnitus. The imaging technique may also allow physicians to target specific brain regions with electrical or chemical therapies to lessen symptoms, he said.

In fact, Seidman has implanted electrodes designed to interfere with the ringing sound into the brains of six patients with debilitating tinnitus, and four of the cases have registered improvement. Cranial surgery failed to help the other two individuals, but the procedure did not worsen their condition, he said. Additional work in electrical pulse mechanics might improve outcomes.

Seidman also suggested that MEG technology could be used to determine if drugs such as intravenous lidocaine could be administered more directly to the source of the tinnitus, along with evaluating the effects of those medications.

"Since MEG can detect brain activity occurring at each instant in time, we are able to detect brain activity involved in the network or flow of information across the brain over a 10-minute time interval," said co-author Susan Bowyer, Ph.D., bioscientific senior researcher in the department of neurology at Henry Ford Hospital. "Using magnetoencephalography, we can actually see the areas in the brain that are generating the patient's tinnitus, which allows us to target it and treat it."

Thanks a lot for the info...

My mother has tinnitus and it's really a debilitating condition :frown3:

I have convinced her to get acupuncture treatment...

I hope it will somehow alleviate the symptoms.

Alon

What? I couldn't hear what you wrote because of this ringing in my ears :yikes:

I've suffered, evidently minor compared to others, tinnitus for years. I blame it on the turbo used to pressurize the tractor trailer tankers I used to pull. You would set there for an hour or so with that turbo whining with no hearing protection. Or shooting with no hearing protection, or any number of stupid things I've done growing up.

I had no idea there would ever be anything they could do about it, as I thought it was the little hairs in the cochlea (?) that had been damaged causing the high pitch I always hear. I would think it would be wonderful and strange to only hear what noises are really there. Anyone that has experience with tinnitus will know that that statement does make sense. :rolleyes:

As a (former) Audiologist, I can completely appreciate the difficulties of anyone with tinnitus. I spent 13 years running a hearing conservation program / diagnostic audiology clinic in a steel mill and saw plenty of patients with all forms. I've been out of the field for almost 10 years now so I can only hope that these folks are really on to something. One less invasive treatment that seemed to work for some of my clients was niacin therapy. Taken in larger doses (1000mg+) it helps some people. Niacin causes a flushing of the small blood vessels and it is thought that the increase in bloodflow to the inner ear is what helps alleviate the tinnitus. Check with your Dr. before you start a niacin program. It's a B vitamin but in larger doses it could cause some people problems. Biggest thing is make sure you continue to protect your hearing because increases in hearing loss can cause increases in tinnitus. Also, if you develop tinnitus kind of out-of-the-blue, or if it changes, have it checked to make sure that you don't have other medical problems like high blood pressure or diabetes, both of which can cause tinnitus as well.

As a (former) Audiologist, I can completely appreciate the difficulties of anyone with tinnitus. I spent 13 years running a hearing conservation program / diagnostic audiology clinic in a steel mill and saw plenty of patients with all forms. .
Joyce, you never cease to amaze me. :)

One less invasive treatment that seemed to work for some of my clients was niacin therapy. Taken in larger doses (1000mg+) it helps some people. Niacin causes a flushing of the small blood vessels and it is thought that the increase in bloodflow to the inner ear is what helps alleviate the tinnitus.

Thank you for this information, I will be discussing it with my doctor. I've grown accustomed to the ringing but when it's really quiet I notice it quite a bit.

As a (former) Audiologist, I can completely appreciate the difficulties of anyone with tinnitus. I spent 13 years running a hearing conservation program / diagnostic audiology clinic in a steel mill and saw plenty of patients with all forms. I've been out of the field for almost 10 years now so I can only hope that these folks are really on to something. One less invasive treatment that seemed to work for some of my clients was niacin therapy. Taken in larger doses (1000mg+) it helps some people. Niacin causes a flushing of the small blood vessels and it is thought that the increase in bloodflow to the inner ear is what helps alleviate the tinnitus. Check with your Dr. before you start a niacin program. It's a B vitamin but in larger doses it could cause some people problems. Biggest thing is make sure you continue to protect your hearing because increases in hearing loss can cause increases in tinnitus. Also, if you develop tinnitus kind of out-of-the-blue, or if it changes, have it checked to make sure that you don't have other medical problems like high blood pressure or diabetes, both of which can cause tinnitus as well.

1000mg of Niaspan (time release Niacin) daily to raise HDL. Doesn't do a thing for the ringing in my ears. The flushing feeling that hits now and then isn't fun, either. Guess I'll see my GP again and take him up on the offer of a referral he made a couple years ago. Seems I was more interested in something else that came up in that visit.

I have very minor ringing in the ears but never realize it until something causes me to concentrate on it...like reading this thread!

Joyce, I hear you and Laura may be flyng the race together next year. Good luck if you do!

Last edited:
Joyce, you never cease to amaze me. :)

Hey Diana! Guess I'm a 'Jill of all trades' (and one of these days I really am going to get up there to see you!!!) :D

Thank you for this information, I will be discussing it with my doctor. I've grown accustomed to the ringing but when it's really quiet I notice it quite a bit.

I've also read that Gingko Bilboa and other herbs can help as well. Unfortunately it's really just a guess as to what ever might work for you. I can't say that I've ever seen anything work 100%

1000mg of Niaspan (time release Niacin) daily to raise HDL. Doesn't do a thing for the ringing in my ears. The flushing feeling that hits now and then isn't fun, either. Guess I'll see my GP again and take him up on the offer of a referral he made a couple years ago. Seems I was more interested in something else that came up in that visit.

And I understand completely about the flushing feeling. I tried niacin lots of years ago because my hands were always cold, needless to say, I'll keep the cold hands instead...

I have very minor ringing in the ears but never realize it until something causes me to concentrate on it...like reading this thread!

Joyce, I hear you and Laura may be flyng the race together next year. Good luck if you do!

Hi Tim, I really hope that Laura and I can do the race. I really want the experience, and she's a really neat person.

Hi Tim, I really hope that Laura and I can do the race. I really want the experience, and she's a really neat person.

Yeah, she is. I was her "mentor" when she decided to learn how to fly. I really enjoyed her attitude towards flying and life in general.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back