timing on VOR on field?

jdwatkins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jdwatkins
The VOR is located on the field. How do you determine how long to fly outbound before PT inbound? And how do you use the timer to go missed?

The VOR is located on the field. How do you determine how long to fly outbound before PT inbound?
I look at how much altitude I have to lose between crossing the VOR and starting the PT, and how much from completing the PT to the runway, and figure on the larger of the two. For example, on the KSBY VOR RWY 5 approach, I have to lose 300 feet on the way out (just under a minute at a normal 500 ft/min rate), and 1700 feet on the way in (about 3 minutes at a normal nonprecision descent rate). I'll go three minutes out before turning so I have plenty of time to get down to MDA, look around, and spot the runway in time to land on it from MDA.

And how do you use the timer to go missed?
I don't use it to go missed (the MAP on such approaches is normally the VOR, and flag flip will give me the missed approach cue), but I do restart it upon completing the inbound turn from the PT as an aid to situational awareness on the inbound run -- if I went out three minutes before turning, I should be seeing the runway about three minutes after completing the PT.

I look at how much altitude I have to lose between crossing the VOR and starting the PT, and how much from completing the PT to the runway, and figure on the larger of the two. For example, on the KSBY VOR RWY 5 approach, I have to lose 300 feet on the way out (just under a minute at a normal 500 ft/min rate), and 1700 feet on the way in (about 3 minutes at a normal nonprecision descent rate). I'll go three minutes out before turning so I have plenty of time to get down to MDA, look around, and spot the runway in time to land on it from MDA.

I don't use it to go missed (the MAP on such approaches is normally the VOR, and flag flip will give me the missed approach cue), but I do restart it upon completing the inbound turn from the PT as an aid to situational awareness on the inbound run -- if I went out three minutes before turning, I should be seeing the runway about three minutes after completing the PT.

On airport, no-FAF VOR IAPs will always have the MAP at the VOR unless they are a VOR/DME IAP.

The VOR is located on the field. How do you determine how long to fly outbound before PT inbound? And how do you use the timer to go missed?

Do you know of one that has a timing table? If so, it is mis-charted.

Back