Timing of blood pressure consultation and medical

U

Unknown BP

Looking for AME advice on how to handle the timing of getting a blood pressure consultation and renewing my second class medical.

I believe my blood pressure has been rising in the last few months, but not entirely sure. I'm an oddball that tends to read high on digital home BP cuffs and the ones at the Dentist, but in the past I've always been around 120-25/80-85 with an MD or NP using a manual cuff.

I already have an SI for OSA. Every year I have done an annual follow up with my sleep doc right before going to my AME and my BP has been fine. This year, due to COVID, my OSA follow up was virtual - no BP taken. I know my BP tends to trend higher when I haven't been exercising and again, thanks to COVID that has been a challenge.

I suspect that if I go to my AME, my BP will probably be within the FAA standards (which are quite lenient) and I'll be able to get my medical, but if it IS trending high, I don't want to risk my health, hence the question. Would it be better to make an appointment with my family doc and get checked out - start a BP treatment if necessary prior to going to the AME or get the medical first and then get evaluated if my BP is higher than normal?

If it makes a difference, my long standing AME is no longer practicing, so I'll be seeing a new AME this time.

Not an AME, but... HEALTH FIRST, FLY LATER.

I think discussing this with your family doctor is a stellar idea. You don't want this to get out of control.

Plus, as you point out, benign hypertension is something the FAA is okay with as long as it is under control and properly treated. They even have a CACI protocol for it. (Conditions an AME Can Issue).

Read up on the CACI for it, and take a copy with you to your doctor. Then if your doctor says he does want you on medication, he can use the CACI as guidance to write his status letter.

Bring that with you to your new AME, and you may have removed a roadblock and can walk out with certificate in hand.

I'm all for health first, just want to make sure I check the health in a way that is least problematic for dealing with OKC.

Perhaps I should put the question this way: If I get my medical first and then go to my Doc and get put on an FAA approved mediation, I obviously need to self ground until the medication is assessed to be working without negative side effects, but do I then need to go back to the AME and apply for a new medical or would I be good until the next year?

What we need is a letter from your doc, after starting the med, “I am satisfied with ——-‘s hypertension control and have no immediate plans to make changes”. Most docs will not do this until you have had the one week after recheck.

What we need is a letter from your doc, after starting the med, “I am satisfied with ——-‘s hypertension control and have no immediate plans to make changes”. Most docs will not do this until you have had the one week after recheck.
Thank you Bruce.

I had my appointment with the family doc. BP was 140/90 so while within FAA standards, we decided it best to start medication. Just started an FAA approved medication not having any side effects so far. I will go back for the followup in 10 days. Then I will need to renew my medical.

My next question is regarding the sleep doc letter. My annual checkup with my sleep doc was in May and consequently, the letter from the sleep doc saying no OSA treatment is still good is dated in May. In order to have the followup with the hypertension doc, I won't be able to see the AME until early August.

Do I need to go back for another followup/redo the letter from the sleep doc, or will the FAA accept the May letter?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back