Timeline to Special Issuance 3rd class Medical

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
So I posted something about this in a previous thread but figured i'd post it here so people could easily see it. Today when I logged into MedExpress it said I had been issued my medial (good until the end of March 2023 and I assume that is because it's a SI for the sleep apnea) So here is a rough description of my timeline.

03-18-2022: Had exam with a HIMS AME to reopen my file (I'm not a HIMS case but I wanted the guidance)
04-12-2022: Took Cogscreen & Neuropsychological Evaluation per a denial back in 2013. I had previously scheduled this since I knew it would be required.
04-23-2022 (approximately) Received notice from FAA requesting more information due to history of Adderall and Xanax Usage. This included a personal statement from me.
04-26-2022: Had new sleep study also per denial in 2013. Positive for severe sleep apenea (AHI of 54). Prescribed CPAP and I immediately started treatment.
05-30-22 (approximately) Completed 30 days of treatment and had CPAP data downloaded, sleep doctor filled out Initial status paperwork
06-06-22 FAA known nueropscyhologist finally got my CogScreen & Neuropsychological results to the AME (along with sending directly to the FAA) Was in 82nd percentile with both ADHD and Anxiety In remission.
06-17-22 Received letter from my PCP about my ADHD and anxiety diganosis and blood pressure issue from back in the day stating that everything is good and I'm no longer medicated etc for ADHD or Anxiety and that Blood Pressure is well controlled with medication.
06-26-22 Got everything packaged up nicely and sent to the AME (there is a gap in here but 06-26-22 is the date I finally had everything together.
06-27-22 AME faxed in all paperwork to the FAA
06-28-22 FAA acknowledges receipt of said paperwork
07-08-22 FAA scans in paperwork into system and I wait. After a couple of weeks I start calling once a week and am told every time it's under review. I also check MedExpress and it simply has Transmitted underlined.
08-23-22. Log into MedExpress and see that transmitted is greyed out along with in review and final review is now underlined. Refreshed MedExpress 20 minutes later to discover my medical (3rd class) has been issued with an expiration of 03-31-23.

So overall just a little over 5 months from re-exam to issuance. I can not say how much of a relief it is to finally get this monkey off of my back. I'm really surprised I didn't have to see a psychiatrist because of Xanax use (although it was continuous so maybe they just considered it one episode). It's almost like the visit to the Nueropsychologist satisfied them for which I very thankful.

Anyway I hope this time helps all of those who are still playing the waiting game.

So do you have to go through this all again running up to your 3/31/2023 renewal?

I think if I wanted to stay on a a regular 3rd class I’d have to take the letter of SI to the AME and resubmit my cpap data for the year but I plan on going basic med and tbh this is my 1st medical and I’m not sure how it’ll work come March 31,2023. I’m just happy the hard part is behind me.

congratulations buddy. I was rooting for ya. So happy to see you get through this.

congratulations buddy. I was rooting for ya. So happy to see you get through this.

Thanks! I can't even describe how much stress having it issues took off of my shoulders. I guess it's hard to describe unless you've been through the waiting game.

So I posted something about this in a previous thread but figured i'd post it here so people could easily see it. Today when I logged into MedExpress it said I had been issued my medial (good until the end of March 2023 and I assume that is because it's a SI for the sleep apnea) So here is a rough description of my timeline.

03-18-2022: Had exam with a HIMS AME to reopen my file (I'm not a HIMS case but I wanted the guidance)
04-12-2022: Took Cogscreen & Neuropsychological Evaluation per a denial back in 2013. I had previously scheduled this since I knew it would be required.
04-23-2022 (approximately) Received notice from FAA requesting more information due to history of Adderall and Xanax Usage. This included a personal statement from me.
04-26-2022: Had new sleep study also per denial in 2013. Positive for severe sleep apenea (AHI of 54). Prescribed CPAP and I immediately started treatment.
05-30-22 (approximately) Completed 30 days of treatment and had CPAP data downloaded, sleep doctor filled out Initial status paperwork
06-06-22 FAA known nueropscyhologist finally got my CogScreen & Neuropsychological results to the AME (along with sending directly to the FAA) Was in 82nd percentile with both ADHD and Anxiety In remission.
06-17-22 Received letter from my PCP about my ADHD and anxiety diganosis and blood pressure issue from back in the day stating that everything is good and I'm no longer medicated etc for ADHD or Anxiety and that Blood Pressure is well controlled with medication.
06-26-22 Got everything packaged up nicely and sent to the AME (there is a gap in here but 06-26-22 is the date I finally had everything together.
06-27-22 AME faxed in all paperwork to the FAA
06-28-22 FAA acknowledges receipt of said paperwork
07-08-22 FAA scans in paperwork into system and I wait. After a couple of weeks I start calling once a week and am told every time it's under review. I also check MedExpress and it simply has Transmitted underlined.
08-23-22. Log into MedExpress and see that transmitted is greyed out along with in review and final review is now underlined. Refreshed MedExpress 20 minutes later to discover my medical (3rd class) has been issued with an expiration of 03-31-23.

So overall just a little over 5 months from re-exam to issuance. I can not say how much of a relief it is to finally get this monkey off of my back. I'm really surprised I didn't have to see a psychiatrist because of Xanax use (although it was continuous so maybe they just considered it one episode). It's almost like the visit to the Nueropsychologist satisfied them for which I very thankful.

Anyway I hope this time helps all of those who are still playing the waiting game.

This is really inspiring with someone that will have to go through COGSCREEN's battery of tests. Saving this. Thank you kind sir.

This is really inspiring with someone that will have to go through COGSCREEN's battery of tests. Saving this. Thank you kind sir.

The Cogscreen really isn't that bad. I think it's important to be as rested as you can be and have an open mind. Once you get through that I think that it's just a matter of developing some patience, the hardest part for me was just hanging by the FAA thread waiting for them to do something but l guess in reality they did it somewhat quickly all things considered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back