Timeline of deferred medical

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
Does anyone have an educated guess as to how long medical deferment is taking these days. Is there some kind of standard turn around time or does it depend on the case. If they want additional information do they let you know quickly or is it a line up and wait kind of deal?
Thanks...

Psychiatry, drugs alcohol take....forever. I’ve gotten letters saying we need a new exam and a new Neuro cognitive because we (FAA) couldn’t get to this application....it’s pretty egregious.

I have gathered all my files and am ready to let the Dr you recommended look things over before I do the med express. My real question to to him will be is this gonna fly. I don’t want to ruin my LSA option. I really think it will be fine but will probably take a while.

Seeking M3/SI w/Non psychiatric/non substance issues and I'm still in a holding pattern at 7 plus months now.....

Wow, I would be able to deal with that a whole lot easier if they didn’t jerk LSA away from me while they contemplate my fate. Just all seems like crazy overkill. Hell if you can fly a LSA without passing out and crashing into a shopping center then chances are the type of aircraft isn’t going to affect your health status. My issue is a head injury back in 2012. I’m going to let the AME pre exam determine if I should even try. I don’t want to sit around for a year doing nothing. LSA is not what I ultimately want to do but it’s better than nothing. And who knows maybe in the near future the rules will change and LSA will be faster, heavier, and so on......

Rumors have been coming about increasing the weight (this has been approved on an airframe basis) but don't expect more seats or higher speeds to come to LSA.

Unfortunately, as soon as you get deferred on an application, you no longer can fly sport pilot on your license.

That the really sticky part of the medical process. I don’t understand why a deferment takes away your LSA certificate. I mean isn’t the whole
Idea of, healthy enough to drive healthy enough to fly LSA, for those who no longer or will never qualify for a class 3 medical. Taking away LSA privileges because of medical deferment seems is being a little ****y. Kinda of like wearing a mask while eating dinner inside your own home. Just seems to be taking things a little too far. And in my opinion ultimately hurting general aviation in the long run. Medicine has come a long way since the FAA put these medical rules in place. Hell most people I know are on some type of SSRI now for depression. 30 years ago that was not the case. I am from the rail industry and not too long ago the FRA would not let you hold an engineers license if you took injections to control blood sugar. Pills were ok but not injections. That has since changed.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back