time Travel?

An example:

I don't wanna wait 53 seconds!

Attachments

• errrwhat.jpg
    errrwhat.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 14
Is pilots of america running on multiple servers? Seems like that might kind of be overkill?

~ Christopher

We run on MediaTemple which is a grid server. I'm starting to think their servers are out of synch.

The next time one of you gets this message, please copy and paste the full URL shown in your browser as a reply to this thread.

Thanks.

FWIW, I've never seen this on Safari on the Mac. Also FWIW, I do time-sync over the Internet so my time should be right on. Is there a possibility that it's affected by client time in some way?

That is a time synchronization issue between their servers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the time on your computer.

The problem is you hit one server that saves the time of your last search in the database. After that you get switched to another server with a different time. The PHP logic checks the database entry of your last search and compares it against server time. It's providing weird values because of the time not being the same between their servers.

1.) You search and their load balancers route you to Server 1. Server 1 saves the time of this search. We'll call this time "12:00:20".

2.) You search and their load balancers route you to Server 2. Server 2 current time is "12:00:00" Server 2 checks the time of the last search in the database "12:00:20" and it requires that time be "12:00:25" before you can search again. So it provides you with a nice error message of: "12:00:25" - "12:00:00" = 25 seconds before you can search.

There really isn't anything too complicated about this. The only thing that can cause this is the time between the servers being out of sync. The problem could be a web server out of sync with the rest or a SQL server out of sync. VBulletin can either generate the time entry in the database by using a PHP function or a SQL function.

Since MediaTemple manages their servers all Chuck can do is complain until MediaTemple learns how to use NTP.

Last edited:
I have been hitting "New posts" this evening and I have not done any time traveling. Maybe it's fixed. :fcross:

I'm pretty sure my 2nd call convinced them that their servers were causing the wierdness.

I too have not been experiencing any probs lately. Forum related anyway. :)
Probability ratio 5 to the power of 1, to one against, and falling...
1. Probability ratio at 1 to 1 against. We have achieved normality.

Any other abnormalities your are experiencing are your own problem, and not our responsibility.

Ok thanks nick, thats what I thought.

And you just got that huh?

*sigh*

It just did.

This forum requires that you wait 5 seconds between searches. Please try again in 20 seconds.

Last edited:
At 2:15 AM CST

error_time.jpg

error_time.jpg

Last edited:
It's still at it...although it doesn't seem to happen as often as before:

This forum requires that you wait 5 seconds between searches. Please try again in 55 seconds.

I have been doing a lot of time traveling today.
1a.gif

FYI, for troubleshooting purposes, I just got one of those messages about at about noon central time.

--Matt Rogers

Just went through about 3 minutes of it at 20:10 EST on 12/24

Edit, now it did it to my trying to post this.

I still have yet to have this problem, whether posting or searching for new posts. :dunno:

However, the other day, I couldn't get onto poa.com, while poa.net worked fine.

I had been doing a lot of time traveling over the past few days until very early this morning with the time span getting longer and longer (I had seen up to about 120 seconds). Now things seem to be back to normal, for the moment. :yes:

It's been happening to me all day:

poabugdec29.jpg

Annoying issue..

Still happening all day today...

Back