Time to Transition

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Well the steam gauge aircraft are becoming fewer and fewer at the airports out of which I fly. So, starting Friday, I'm going for the IFR transition to G1000 C172s and C182s. They have a beautiful sim, and free DVDs I can use, and say it will be about 8 hours, or three lessons. I'm looking forward to it, because if nothing else, there will be traffic and weather there, to make my trips just that much safer.

Anyone else make this transition?

I've done a few transitions to the Avidyne system in the Cirrus and trained in the G1000.

My personal opinion is that 8 hrs is a bit short even with a fair amount of sim time for someone to become IFR proficient with the G1000.

Of course it depends on how familiar with glass and the system you are when you start and how proficient you want to be.

Let us know how it goes.

Joe

I've done a few transitions to the Avidyne system in the Cirrus and trained in the G1000.

My personal opinion is that 8 hrs is a bit short even with a fair amount of sim time for someone to become IFR proficient with the G1000.

Of course it depends on how familiar with glass and the system you are when you start and how proficient you want to be.

Let us know how it goes.

Joe

Ah. I should have specified--8 hours in the air. They have a logable G1000 sim which we will be using, too. But good point; I will do as much as I need to be fully and completely proficient. (The aircraft flying characteristics are not an issue.)

Have you ever driven a car in England? All the controls are there, similar road signs, but just a bit different. Well, all of the flight data is there (+ a lot more) but everything is just a bit different. Enjoy the journey.

Really it depends on how comfortable you are with cockpit automation to start. If you already are IFR proficient in a Garmin 430 or 530 and with an autopilot/flight director, then you'll find it a much shorter transition.

I transitioned with 3 hours of ground school using the sim and 5 hours of flight (using Cessna/Garmin FITS "Train to proficiency" curriculum with scenario-based exam exercises) several years ago, but I'd already had hundreds of hours with the 430, KFC150, and other Glass/EFIS systems. I've seen folks new to glass and Garmin take 8 sim/8 flight to get comfortable.

The G1000 PC sim is terrific for training in your new scanning pattern and learning the menus and features. They also offer the various flavors since each software rev is linked to a specific aircraft type, and they have some unique features.

Last edited:
Have you ever driven a car in England? All the controls are there, similar road signs, but just a bit different. Well, all of the flight data is there (+ a lot more) but everything is just a bit different. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks!

Thanks, Tim!

The first step is watching the DVDs "Cleared for Flying the Garmin G1000," which is available at the flight school for free (but a friend is lending it to me). That's about 4 hours, and I will take copious notes and write down any questions. Then we go to ground and the sim. Then its transition time!

I'm obviously comfortable with the C172 and C182, so it is just the systems. I'm IFR current (never let it slide in 5 years), and good with technology.

My weaker area is Garmin, since most of my GPS and AP experience has been with other companies. But, the lessons are one-on-one, so I think I'll be good.

I'm going to enjoy this!

Really it depends on how comfortable you are with cockpit automation to start. If you already are IFR proficient in a Garmin 430 or 530 and with an autopilot/flight director, then you'll find it a much shorter transition.

I transitioned with 3 hours of ground school using the sim and 5 hours of flight (using Cessna/Garmin FITS "Train to proficiency" curriculum with scenario-based exam exercises) several years ago, but I'd already had hundreds of hours with the 430, KFC150, and other Glass/EFIS systems. I've seen folks new to glass and Garmin take 8 sim/8 flight to get comfortable.

The G1000 PC sim is terrific for training in your new scanning pattern and learning the menus and features. They also offer the various flavors since each software rev is linked to a specific aircraft type, and they have some unique features.

Back