Time to put the papers and pens down...

TDKendall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TDKendall
...and get back in the air.

Checking out a new flight school Saturday afternoon and get myself back in the air. Time to get out of the office. I've already talked with the instructor that I'm flying with and she's willing to help out with a couple of photos so I'll let you all see them.

This will also be the first time that I've gone up with an instructor that didn't do the take-off and landing during the "initial flight". Going to be an interesting day.

We'll be in a 172 (an upgrade from the 152's that I've been training on so far) which will be enjoyable. The weather say's partly cloudy and a high in the low 60's. This is Washington, however. I wouldn't get surprised if the flight get's pushed off due to Washington's liquid sunshine.

Are the 'waves' still in W04? Last time I was there I took off again twice while landing.

ejensen said:
Are the 'waves' still in W04? Last time I was there I took off again twice while landing.

Unfortunately, the 'waves' are still there. It's not uncommon for aircraft to have that "bounce" when they land at W04, especially low wing aircraft where ground effect comes into play. Katana's have a really hard time staying on the ground during landings...lol

Good luck and have fun. The only way to evaluate an initial pilot is to let them fly all aspects of the flight. Well unless they voilate my two rules, other than that, they are flying. Rule 1: Dont bend the airplane. Rule 2: Dont bend me.

Brent

Just remember, you only get to count each trip down the runway as ONE landing in the logbook! :D

TDKendall said:
Unfortunately, the 'waves' are still there. It's not uncommon for aircraft to have that "bounce" when they land at W04, especially low wing aircraft where ground effect comes into play. Katana's have a really hard time staying on the ground during landings...lol

At least training there you'll never get complacent on take-off or landing.

What a beautiful flight! We could see the storm wall coming in from the SW during the flight, but where we were was clear and very smooth. The 172 is much easier to fly than a 152 and this particular bird required only fingertips once she was trimmed out. The CFI was on the controls (following my control movements, not actually flying) only during the last 10-15 seconds of the approach. The rest was all me and I loved it!

Here's two "after the flight" photos that I talked the CFI into taking for me.

TDKendall said:
What a beautiful flight! We could see the storm wall coming in from the SW during the flight, but where we were was clear and very smooth. The 172 is much easier to fly than a 152 and this particular bird required only fingertips once she was trimmed out. The CFI was on the controls (following my control movements, not actually flying) only during the last 10-15 seconds of the approach. The rest was all me and I loved it!

Here's two "after the flight" photos that I talked the CFI into taking for me.

That's great, congrats! There's nothing like flying with the Ocean and Mt. Rainier in the picture...

Interesting thing for me with this CFI, though. She kept emphasizing the exterior view when it came to judging level flight and approaches instead of instruments like other instructors I've been with. She had me use the instruments to check myself, not as the primary focus to gaining the proper flight postures for climb, level, approach, etc. It worked well with me and with only one other flight school to check out, I may just stick with this one. The CFI's cute and don't know that my wife likes that too much (although after they met, the CFI did mention that my wife was gorgeous which in and of itself is an understatement IMHO), but the CFI's smart and quick to see how different people learn and process information. I also like that she teaches to fly by feel. That was the way I learned to drive tractor-trailer rigs and busses and it didn't fail me there. I doubt it'll fail me with this. I've always been a firm believer in "being part of the vehicle" when it comes to driving or flying. This 172 gave me that feeling. I wanted to "go over there" and that's where she went without any horsing of the controls. I never felt that in any of the 152's I've flown. Now I want even more to get the PPL so I can see what the Cherokee line feels like even though I'll probably stay with the 172. I won't know that until I fly something else, though.

TDKendall said:
Interesting thing for me with this CFI, though. She kept emphasizing the exterior view when it came to judging level flight and approaches instead of instruments like other instructors I've been with. She had me use the instruments to check myself, not as the primary focus to gaining the proper flight postures for climb, level, approach, etc.
I like that -- that's what VFR flight is all about. As you get more experienced, you'll find you can fly just fine without looking inside the boat at all!

Sounds like you've latched on to a good CFI -- stay with her...

Back