Time Required to Replace AK-451 With ACK E-04

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
Looking to replace an AK-451 ELT with an ACK E-04. What would a reasonable installation time be for shop to make the change? John

For an install of an ACK E-04 I was quoted 5 to 6 hours of time, if I wanted the connection made to the GPS unit, and no cable currently existed. This included partial removal of the interior and accessing behind the panel. No sure how much time difference it makes, but mine was a retrofit for an ACK E-01 (bracket and antenna wiring would NOT need to be redone).

For an install of an ACK E-04 I was quoted 5 to 6 hours of time, if I wanted the connection made to the GPS unit, and no cable currently existed. This included partial removal of the interior and accessing behind the panel. No sure how much time difference it makes, but mine was a retrofit for an ACK E-01 (bracket and antenna wiring would NOT need to be redone).

Thanks for the reply. I should add there will be no gps connection for the change over.

If the existing mount holes can be used for the bracket and wiring for the control head, which will most likely need replaced, I'd say 1-2 hours. If new wire needs to be run, the above estimate seems fair. If they need to run new wire for the control head, go ahead and have them run the GPS wire (shielded, twisted pair) for future use.

Back