Time magazine's picke for 100 greatest movies

A Hard Days Night among the top ten? The Jeff Goldbum remake of The Fly and yet no Ben Hur, no Full Metal Jacket, no Omega Man? What about 2001: A Space Oddesey? Ah well most critics taste is in their mouths.

Kyle Thornley said:
A Hard Days Night among the top ten? The Jeff Goldbum remake of The Fly and yet no Ben Hur, no Full Metal Jacket, no Omega Man? What about 2001: A Space Oddesey? Ah well most critics taste is in their mouths.

The fact that "It's A Wonderful Life" made this list makes the whole thing circumspect.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Of the ones I've seen only a small handful would I agree that should be listed. Dr Strangelove is one for sure. POE

With some exceptions there seems to be a bias against comedies. :dunno:

Some I agree with. But rest assured I wasn't the one making up the list not by a longshot.

Kyle Thornley said:
Ah well most critics taste is in their mouths.

Yep. Remember that those critics went to the same critic school that the ones did that said the Broadway musical Les Miserables was a complete flop and it would die a quick death. The audience was of another opinion...and still are 20 years later...

What in the world was the criteria? The Good the Bad and the Ugly?
Sheesh!

Flyboy said:
Sheesh!

I agree.... where are the rest of Clint's westerns??!!! The Outlaw Josey Wales was much better, though. I LOVE CLINT! I LOVE CLINT.

Man, now I've got to go buy me some chaw, and spit on my co-worker. LOL

Joe Williams said:
I agree.... where are the rest of Clint's westerns??!!! The Outlaw Josey Wales was much better, though. I LOVE CLINT! I LOVE CLINT.

Man, now I've got to go buy me some chaw, and spit on my co-worker. LOL

For the western fans - I was raised by my dad to love Westerns and War movies - especially 50's, 60's vintage movies. Some of the best movies ever made came from that time period, IMO.

That said, what do you all think of Unforgiven? I really love the movie, probably one of my top 5 favorites of all time.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
For the western fans - I was raised by my dad to love Westerns and War movies - especially 50's, 60's vintage movies. Some of the best movies ever made came from that time period, IMO.

That said, what do you all think of Unforgiven? I really love the movie, probably one of my top 5 favorites of all time.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Unforgiven was great.

Flyboy said:
Sheesh!

Well I like all three of Clint's spaghetti westerns directed by Sergio Leone. But, I agree, "Fistful of Dollars" and "A Few Dollars More" were better. However, "Dirty Harry" should also have been on the list.

What really surprised me as some others was that NO Charlton Heston movies were listed. None!

Anthony said:
Well I like all three of Clint's spaghetti westerns directed by Sergio Leone. But, I agree, "Fistful of Dollars" and "A Few Dollars More" were better. However, "Dirty Harry" should also have been on the list.

What really surprised me as some others was that NO Charlton Heston movies were listed. None!

There is no way that Time Magazine, or much of the so called "mainstream media," would recognize a right wing, pro-2nd Amendment activist like Charlton Heston in a positive light. Despite all their whining about McCarthy era blacklists, the modern media is far from shy about using their own version.

I admit to being a Clint fan as I find most of his flicks to be quite entertaining, but cinamatic masterpiecs they are not. Unforgiven however is in a class by itself, and I think it definately belongs on the list.

The snubbing of CHuck can only be attributable to his affiliation with the NRA which most of the sniveling critics decry as a bunch of war mongering extremists.

What, no Blazing Saddles? (It just SUCKS when your all time favorite doesn't make the top 100....) And a s stated above, seems to me this list is ENTIRELY too light with comedies!

I did find several on there I agreed with though (Unforgiven, The Searchers, others.....)

Joe Williams said:
There is no way that Time Magazine, or much of the so called "mainstream media," would recognize a right wing, pro-2nd Amendment activist like Charlton Heston in a positive light. Despite all their whining about McCarthy era blacklists, the modern media is far from shy about using their own version.

I must be getting senile. I didn't eventhink of that and I'm an NRA member. Sad. He's made some of the best movies ever. I even liked his lesser remembered, "The Omega Man" (like you stated Joe) and "Soilant Green". He could go from Biblical movies to Sci-Fi. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

What about....

Clockwork Orange?
Maltese Falcon?
The Blues Brothers???

Back