Time limit

Kodiak

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kodiak
My AME is requesting me to have a hearing test. He is holding up my paperwork until I get the audiogram. My question is, how long do I have to get the test before I have to start the MedXPress process over again? Will I have to start over again with the same AME?

Thanks

My AME is requesting me to have a hearing test. He is holding up my paperwork until I get the audiogram. My question is, how long do I have to get the test before I have to start the MedXPress process over again? Will I have to start over again with the same AME?

Thanks

If you do OK on the test the AME should issue in office. If he put it on hold it shouldn't expire.
Edit: Get on with the test; don't consider AME shopping. Hearing is very important.

I should have mentioned that he is going to defer my case to the FAA. I passed the 6 foot back to back hearing test without any problem, but he went further because I had had ear surgery 60 years ago (yes that is 60). This overboard and beyond audiogram requirement and now having to deal with the FAA concerns me.

I should have mentioned that he is going to defer my case to the FAA. I passed the 6 foot back to back hearing test without any problem, but he went further because I had had ear surgery 60 years ago (yes that is 60). This overboard and beyond audiogram requirement and now having to deal with the FAA concerns me.
Hmmm. Sue him.

If you have started a MedExpress application, you will ultimately be issued or denied. Possibly with some deferrals along the way. That’s the way it is with the FAA. Sorry.

I think your best chance of issuance now is get all the testing required ASAP and provide what they ask for.

If you have started a MedExpress application, you will ultimately be issued or denied. Possibly with some deferrals along the way. That’s the way it is with the FAA. Sorry.

I think your best chance of issuance now is get all the testing required ASAP and provide what they ask for.

Dang! That is what I figured also. Thanks.

I thought I would follow up on what I ended up going through to get a 3rd class medical certificate for the benefit of anyone who has ear/hearing situations. After the AME decided to send everything to the FAA for the decision as to whether I would get a medical certificate, the FAA decided that they wanted another hearing test that included a voice recognition test. I passed the voice recognition test with 100% word detection. They issued the medical, but with the requirement that I wear hearing amplification. I do have hearing aids, but the hearing amplification of my Boise headphones is enough. I consider that to be sufficient and effective hearing amplification, although they might object to my interpretation. I will keep a hearing aid handy or wear a small one that fits easily under a hedset in case an FAA type should be lying in wait to inspect my records at an airport.

Is this a new AME or one you have used or is this your first medical??

A new AME and last, I hope. I will go BasicMed from now on. I did get a 2nd class medical back in the early 70's. Not really much difference now from then except a bit of a hearing loss. That AME passed me with out a hesitation. But the government bureaucracy if much bigger now.

I will keep a hearing aid handy or wear a small one that fits easily under a hedset in case an FAA type should be lying in wait to inspect my records at an airport.

@Kodiak Please wait for a more authoritative answer. I think you will find that a headset will qualify as a hearing aid.

-Skip

I don't understand. You passed the requirements of 67.305 (a), but he is inventing new requirements? He would seem to be out of line with the FAA standards.

I don't have the first idea what to do, other than to ensure that your pass of the 6 ft test is documented. Perhaps call AOPA pilot services and see if they can help?

Once the issue is resolved, I would post something (google reviews? Or is there another place for public feedback on AMEs)? to warn others about this guy.

Pilots don’t need this kind of harassment.

@Kodiak Please wait for a more authoritative answer. I think you will find that a headset will qualify as a hearing aid.

-Skip
I have the "MUST USE AMPLIFICATION" qualification on my medical. It's just about the dumbest endorsement ever. Everything from the cabin speaker to the headphones has AMPLIFICATION. Just about the only time you don't have amplification is when you don't need to hear (I regularly flew with earplugs back in the pre-headset days).

In fact, had I not told my AME that I had hearing aids (but it was listed in the doctor visits section), he'd have probably issued me without the restriction because I have no problem with the standard tests (my loss is only serious on one side). I didn't fight it because it's less of an issue than my "must wear corrective lenses" one.

I have the "MUST USE AMPLIFICATION" qualification on my medical. It's just about the dumbest endorsement ever. Everything from the cabin speaker to the headphones has AMPLIFICATION. Just about the only time you don't have amplification is when you don't need to hear (I regularly flew with earplugs back in the pre-headset days).

In fact, had I not told my AME that I had hearing aids (but it was listed in the doctor visits section), he'd have probably issued me without the restriction because I have no problem with the standard tests (my loss is only serious on one side). I didn't fight it because it's less of an issue than my "must wear corrective lenses" one.

Just adding @Kodiak ’s name to be sure he sees this. Thanks for your input!

-Skip

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back