Time has finally come

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I have my first scheduled flight on Tuesday, April 10th in Chicago. My CFI said we will fly first and then do some ground afterward.

I have prepared as much as one can; having completed my written, obtained my Student Pilot License, and have read the Gleim books cover to cover except the FAR.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

You may be over prepared for your first lesson.

Relax, remember you don't know squat, and have fun. Probably like when you read all the manuals before you drove your first mile in a car...

Oh yeah, have fun. It's supposed to be fun. :)

I did all the book work first so that I have a better understanding of theory and functions. However, I plan to keep my mouth shut and my ears open.

DON'T keep your mouth shut! If you need to ask, ask your CFI. No such thing as a dumb question either. Feel free to ask us "experts" here on POA, but give your CFI a chance too.

Welcome and good luck, enjoy the journey and have fun.

I am bringing mints to combat potential air sickness but I am concerned about air pressure on my tympanic membranes.

Gum to help with airsickness or to clear the Eustachian tube? Or both?

Don’t over think it ,go out and enjoy the experience. Good luck.

Congrats on scheduling your first flight! As other have said, ask your questions and hold nothing back. Important that you ask and get answers you need during flight, and this will be your opportunity to “interview” your CFI to make sure he will be able to not only answer your questions, but do so in a way you’re comfortable with. Besides, chatting helps build rapport and hearing your voice will help you get used to it so you can make more effective radio calls later on.

Most importantly: Have fun!

Quite frankly, with all the studying I’ve already done and being nervous, it’s hard to even think about “fun”. But that’s why I opened this chapter in my life in the first place; to have fun.

You'll have a great time. The first few lessons are always really laid back! That's usually why you'll go up in the plane as the first thing, to bring to light how great it really is!

Hope you enjoy it and please let us know how it goes!

Quite frankly, with all the studying I’ve already done and being nervous, it’s hard to even think about “fun”. But that’s why I opened this chapter in my life in the first place; to have fun.
Relax, remember you don't know squat, and have fun. Probably like when you read all the manuals before you drove your first mile in a car...

Oh yeah, have fun. It's supposed to be fun. :)

This. Just relax and enjoy it. Don't put pressure on yourself.

I am bringing mints to combat potential air sickness but I am concerned about air pressure on my tympanic membranes.

Take a plastic bag with you just in case, but you should be ok. And as @Sport Pilot said just chew some gum to keep the pressure equalized.

Have fun! First flight is such an awesome experience.

Wow.

Started off at 5pm by doing some ground work. CFI gave me a lot of information and pages of subject matter he wants me to read. Did this for about an hour. He was relieved that I have my written out of the way.

Did the walk around and preflight.

In the cockpit, CFI had me work the pedals, throttle, and stick on the grounds to get the feel. He asked if I was comfortable taking off myself. I turned to and said “what do you mean”? He said don’t worry I’ll talk you through it.

In the air chewing my gum like there’s no tomorrow. Had to use the Valsava Technique several times.

Maneuvers were steep banks, minor stalls, and working the flaps at slow air speeds. Several large 7 series planes on the right, left, and above as we were close to O’Hare.

Coming in fir landing with 8kt gusts to the West. Had to crab all the way until last minute slip. Nose up! Nose up!

I have to say, this was quite an experience. CFI told me my take-off and landing were 80% me.

My next lesson is on Saturday at 4:30.

Attachments

• 4C1B37ED-8B5A-45F0-A5DF-7FC21AD6F439.jpeg
    4C1B37ED-8B5A-45F0-A5DF-7FC21AD6F439.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2913CF46-DD42-45F6-BD34-E8180FD4F48B.jpeg
    2913CF46-DD42-45F6-BD34-E8180FD4F48B.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 39
  • E2A2EB8B-4C4F-41E2-82EC-A0785F42C0C3.jpeg
    E2A2EB8B-4C4F-41E2-82EC-A0785F42C0C3.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 39
Before you know it you’ll be ready for 15G25 and 60 degrees off runway heading in a tail dragged.

Wow.

Started off at 5pm by doing some ground work. CFI gave me a lot of information and pages of subject matter he wants me to read. Did this for about an hour. He was relieved that I have my written out of the way.

Did the walk around and preflight.

In the cockpit, CFI had me work the pedals, throttle, and stick on the grounds to get the feel. He asked if I was comfortable taking off myself. I turned to and said “what do you mean”? He said don’t worry I’ll talk you through it.

In the air chewing my gum like there’s no tomorrow. Had to use the Valsava Technique several times.

Maneuvers were steep banks, minor stalls, and working the flaps at slow air speeds. Several large 7 series planes on the right, left, and above as we were close to O’Hare.

Coming in fir landing with 8kt gusts to the West. Had to crab all the way until last minute slip. Nose up! Nose up!

I have to say, this was quite an experience. CFI told me my take-off and landing were 80% me.

My next lesson is on Saturday at 4:30.
Way to go!!!! I bet you never forget this flight. Keep the reports coming!

Flew one hour in the Evektor Harmony just now. This is now the plane my CFI will train me on. I went from steam gauges to glass.

Attachments

• 6F7DDCC4-A96F-4D9E-ABAF-EBEFC7475D32.jpeg
    6F7DDCC4-A96F-4D9E-ABAF-EBEFC7475D32.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 011AD006-586C-4304-B3F0-8D3E3D841948.jpeg
    011AD006-586C-4304-B3F0-8D3E3D841948.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 37
  • F5BC7B46-A8C4-4EF8-8771-DE0378324D35.jpeg
    F5BC7B46-A8C4-4EF8-8771-DE0378324D35.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 130FA95A-EBA8-4AD6-BED1-E8971595EA7D.jpeg
    130FA95A-EBA8-4AD6-BED1-E8971595EA7D.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like a sick setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I took pictures of the flight instruments from the plane I flew for my first flight and made my own armchair cockpit.

(see attached photo)

I will do the same for this new instrument display.

Attachments

• 2CC30DD8-8B54-49B5-A8EB-D81BE93D7026.jpeg
    2CC30DD8-8B54-49B5-A8EB-D81BE93D7026.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 29
I now have 4 hours in and am scheduled to fly on Saturday. I am flying twice a week.

My first flight was in an Evektor Superstar with steam gauges display. I am now flying the Evektor Harmony with glass display.

I have posted both instrument displays for my studies.

Attachments

• 4FBD8617-B84D-44A6-A273-99C7DFDC48E9.jpeg
    4FBD8617-B84D-44A6-A273-99C7DFDC48E9.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 20
  • 0AC21A7F-B78D-4479-BAB4-D78780B8EE47.jpeg
    0AC21A7F-B78D-4479-BAB4-D78780B8EE47.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 20
I now have 4 hours in and am scheduled to fly on Saturday. I am flying twice a week.

My first flight was in an Evektor Superstar with steam gauges display. I am now flying the Evektor Harmony with glass display.

I have posted both instrument displays for my studies.
That's cool, I never thought of printing multiple photos and laying them out like that. I bet that helps. I just found a generic panel photo and printed it on a single page.

Thanks. The instrument panel is pretty close to the actual size of the real panel. I took photos of each item and printed them separately.

This technique has helped me significantly. I have found each time I fly, I’m not looking for where things are, as I see the cockpit everyday when I get off work.

Back