Time for an Avionics Upgrade

JLowe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Well... against my better judgement I wrote a deposit check today on a fairly major avionics upgrade for my little 1983 Cessna 172P. They will order the parts today and it will be about two weeks before they can start work. I hate spending money on something that takes a month before it's ready but it's going to be an exciting couple of weeks. I can't wait to check in on it daily and see the goings-on under the hood.

I attached a picture of the current panel and am planning on doing the following:

1) Replace audio panel with PS 8000B.
2) Drop current primary radio and glideslope CDI to the second position.
3) Remove second radio/CDI. (keep spare/sell)
4) Remove Loran. (sell! Who wants it, I'll make you a GOOD deal)
5) Install GTN 650
6) Install GI106A Indicator
7) EDIT: Install Cigarette Lighter (iPad)

Can't wait for it all to be done. I've made an agreement with myself that I MUST start instrument training the minute the plane is out of the shop. I plan to read the manual that american flyers sent me and start up on my online learning for now. Good instructors in the Addison area shoot me a private message! I plan to go two nights a week after work.

Quote came in just under 20k.. Got quotes from 5 different shops around the state -- this is the shop that I wanted to go with (location/reputation) and after working with them a little was able to match/beat the other prices I found.

Can't wait for the work to be done! Ok, guys tell me how bad of an idea this was.

Attachments

• DSCN0308.JPG
    DSCN0308.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
If permitted, more power ports... Including back seat.

If permitted, more power ports... Including back seat.

That's not a bad idea. It was only a $100 add-on so that may be a smart investment. I don't really ever fly more than 1 passenger for any extended period of time, but backup charging station for a laptop or something else could come in handy.

On a 172 upgrades are worth it if you are going to fly IFR ,had a 63 172 and upgraded radios and was comfortable light IFR had an old wing leveler that worked great.have fun and as one avionics man said to me you have all the airplane you need enjoy it

That's not a bad idea. It was only a $100 add-on so that may be a smart investment. I don't really ever fly more than 1 passenger for any extended period of time, but backup charging station for a laptop or something else could come in handy.

Consider that the ice chest portable A/C systems run on the same plug... having one in the back seat area can serve both passengers and A/C.

An additional plug on the center console wouldn't hurt either.

Also consider where you might mount other portable items (GPS's, iThingies, etc) and route power and connection cords behind the panel to those spots. Reducing the resulting tangled spaghetti mess when you use them.

Finally, talk with the tech about what could be done to make future installations of things simpler and less expensive. Kinda like the extra unused connections inside your PC. Could something be installed now for reasonable that would make a future upgrade that much simpler?

PS. Since were nearby one another... when you're done with the project and happy, I want to see the results!

PS. Since were nearby one another... when you're done with the project and happy, I want to see the results!

Deal, I'll come out to visit! Yep, I'm all about making future upgrade ready, preparing for replacement of the second radio eventually requires a couple of extra wires, and I've mentioned the GDL-88 in the future so will see what we need to do there.

I didn't think about the portable AC unit, that may come in handy, it's getting pretty hot. I'll see where they suggest putting the plugs!

Looks like a good upgrade package to me. :thumbsup:

I just scheduled a dec major upgrade or our 172xp. G500, gtn 650, gtx33 remote transponder with tis, sl30 nav/com,gma340 audio panel, synthetic vision, thinking about edm900 engine system to go along. Took awhile to convince myself but airframe only has 1800 hours and I'm installing a new factory engine at same time. Lot of money but much less than new one. Hoping I'm not wanting to dislocate my leg kicking my hind end when I'm done!

Back