Time for a new headset???

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I have a Flightcom Denali 50ANR headset, given to me as a gift 7 years ago. It's served me well, except for an annoyance with fit. I have no idea why, but it seems the headset calls attention to itself and needs adjustment more often than I remember readjusting the Skylite PNR headsets I used as a student pilot.

I'm having an issue with the plug that shows itself on flights where I can't hear comms. That's a no bueno in my area. I contacted Flightcom for service and they quoted me $145 for repair. The headsets also need new gel earcups and the foam bag is deteriorating and getting debris all over the place.

Beside the need to adjust a few times during flight, I find the headsets just fine for long XCs and short hops. The ANR is an added bonus and gives a noticeable change to the noise level which I consider decent in passive mode.

I consider $145 a good price to repair the headset. But I can't help but think if I should instead apply the funds to a headset that I would enjoy more.

Suggestions? I do need to consider staying within my aviation budget, as I'm also considering springing for a new iPad soon too. Purchasing decisions will mean less gas money this year.

$145 to get them repaired vs. Say $850 - 1k for some new state of the art gear, you have to ask yourself if you like what you got or not. I had some David Clark's for quite a while but recently invested in some lightspeed Zulu 3's and I am glad I did. They are much more comfortable, lighter and work way better. For me it was worth the upgrade.

Sportys will let you return a headset within 60 days, so you could order one and see if you think its worth the cost to upgrade.

CQ 1 headset.

I've had a Zulu 3 and currently have a new Dave Clark One X headset. They cost twice the price of the CQs and I am firmly convinced that there is less noise in my ears with the CQs.

The fact that they are so much more comfortable also makes a huge difference. Also, no batteries to replace constantly. These are a huge improvement over say the DC 13.4.

But headsets are very individual specific. I was happy with my 13.4s for years.

CQ 1 headset.

I've had a Zulu 3 and currently have a new Dave Clark One X headset. They cost twice the price of the CQs and I am firmly convinced that there is less noise in my ears with the CQs.

The fact that they are so much more comfortable also makes a huge difference. Also, no batteries to replace constantly. These are a huge improvement over say the DC 13.4.

But headsets are very individual specific. I was happy with my 13.4s for years.
Seems right up my alley!

Back