Time for a new handheld

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I've got an Icom A-22 which I've loved, but it's been 14 years and it's time for a change.

So, what handhelds do people like or recommend? I don't really need NAV functions - I've got a GPS. I like the scanning and wx radio I have on the A22 and wouldn't like to give that up.

My glider club uses handhelds all the time. I've used the Icom, Sporty's, and Vertex - and I've used them pretty hard.

My take:
Sporty's - bulletproof, big, and heavy.
Vertex - compact, waterproof, loudest volume (a nice feature when it's hooked on your belt on a noisy ramp)
Icom - also waterproof (or resistant to some industrial standard), rock solid.

The Vertex has a user interface that takes a little while to learn. The Icom seems more intuitive. This is just a personal observation, but I've heard the same thing from others. Of course, I've heard just the opposite, too.

Personally, I own the Icom. I had a gift card and there was a sale going on, so I got the NAV version. It has a duplex capability - you can transmit on a COM freq, and receive on a VOR freq.

I know the Icom has a WX radio, I think the Vertex has the same capability. The Icom has a WX Alert function - if the weather service issues a weather alert, the radio will automatically tune it in. I forgot I had that function enabled - I was on the ground, as glider support one day, and another guy was thermalling directly overhead. My radio came to life and broadcast the Thunderstorm Warning that we were suddenly inside. The glider pilot had a better view of the line of storms and landed a minute later.

Another thing - you can pre-program a lot of functions into both the Vertex and Icom. Unless you use it often, you might forget how to use some of those presets and be in a situation where you want to change frequencies and are stuck because you forgot you have to get it out of the preset mode and can't remember how.

My only complaint on the Icom - when I connected a remote PTT and the headset adapter, I get a feedback squeal in the headset when I transmit. Icom tech support claims the problem is in the mic circuit of the headset and that it is picking up RF interference from the radio and feeding it back into the system. Icom recommends you add ferrite cores to your headset cable. That information is on their website. I found a way to work around it - I think I plugged the headset into the headset adapter, but left the headset mic unplugged. I can then use the remote PTT and headset speakers, but have to use the handheld built-in mic. Maybe some headsets are more susceptible to this than others - but it's something to think about. I have not tried my headset on a Vertex or Sporty's.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to go negative on VXA-220.
1. The reliability issues seem to have abated recently, but I cannot be sure if it will turn on next time I need it.
2. My David Clark headset seem to be poorly compatible with it even on receive (transmit requires a separate accessory): it's too quiet. Maybe it's the stereo mode that gets it, but built-in radios in our FBO's rentals work just fine.
The UI is as confusing as ever, and I do not use any functions except direct frequency input. Honestly, I understand now that I should've gotten A14.
-- Pete

P.S. Forgot to mention that 8.33 KHz channels only work on receive, not transmit.

Last edited:
I've got an Icom A-22 which I've loved, but it's been 14 years and it's time for a change.

If I wanted a good COM-only handheld radio... I'd get an ICOM A-6 or A-14. What is it about the A-22 that makes you think it's "time for a change" if it's still working?

I was thinking the same thing. LiPO batteries are the only thing that has changed in this technology in years and if the A-22 is still working, like a good car... drive it until the wheels fall off. New cockpit tech like Xaon's traffic avoidance seem like a good candidate for addition to a handheld, adding SPOT or similar tracking, ADS-B, or even a combo GPS/radio from the likes of Garmin, but that "convergence" type move the rest of the mobile tech world has already perfected, hasn't happened yet in aviation.

New cockpit tech like Xaon's traffic avoidance seem like a good candidate for addition to a handheld, adding SPOT or similar tracking, ADS-B, or even a combo GPS/radio from the likes of Garmin, but that "convergence" type move the rest of the mobile tech world has already perfected, hasn't happened yet in aviation.

Garmin did do a handheld GPS/Com. Must not have sold too well, because I have never heard of anyone owning one, buying one, recommending one, etc - The only place I've ever found anything about it is Garmin's own discontinued products listings:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=169&pID=36

If I wanted a good COM-only handheld radio... I'd get an ICOM A-6 or A-14. What is it about the A-22 that makes you think it's "time for a change" if it's still working?
Well, the antenna connector is loose, it's a little big compared to current models, and I'm not aware of any modern batteries for it, though I could just go with the AA pack.

Hey - this is aviation. "I wanna" is a perfectly good justification for spending an AMU (or fraction of one).

Well, the antenna connector is loose, it's a little big compared to current models, and I'm not aware of any modern batteries for it, though I could just go with the AA pack.

Hey - this is aviation. "I wanna" is a perfectly good justification for spending an AMU (or fraction of one).
You should be able to get the antenna connector tightened up fairly simply, unless there is a major issue about to happen. I must admit, if I had the AA pack option, I'd jump for it. I have an A23 and I love it, but I wish I could swap out batteries anywhere, anytime if I've used it heavily. Especially since I sometimes get back to back flights in the Cub and I drain the batteries down pretty quickly between the intercom system and my ANR headset.

Ryan

I'm happy with my Icom A22 w/the AA pack. YMMV.

I bought a Sporty's NavCom when I got back into flying around 10 years ago. Still works great, but honestly, I've only used it a few times. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used it. It's there in the seat pocket ready for the radio failure though...

How often does everyone use theirs?

Hell, I'm still using my A20 and quite happy with it.....the battery pack is an issue as they are no longer available but the cig lighter plug works fine. I think I bought it in 89 for my Taylorcraft. It sat for some time (12 yrs) while life kept me busy in other areas but I figured out how to use it without the manual again. I like the ICOM stuff and if I decide to update I think I'll go with another. The C120 has a nice panel mounted radio though so the handheld is way down the list on things to update. The A20 is still working sufficiently for backup.

Frank

Nothin' wrong with that. What are you going to want for it when you get the new one? I'm a sucker for stuff that works that's already been depreciated down from new prices. Ha! (And fixing that antenna connector is easy.) :wink2:

I could just send you the bill for our bladder repair currently on-going if you're really that desperate to spend an AMU! :thumbsup:

You should be able to get the antenna connector tightened up fairly simply, unless there is a major issue about to happen. I must admit, if I had the AA pack option, I'd jump for it. I have an A23 and I love it, but I wish I could swap out batteries anywhere, anytime if I've used it heavily. Especially since I sometimes get back to back flights in the Cub and I drain the batteries down pretty quickly between the intercom system and my ANR headset.

Uhh, not to thread-hijack, but neither the intercom nor the ANR on your headset should be using any power from the HT's batteries unless your configuration is very "non-standard"???

Uhh, not to thread-hijack, but neither the intercom nor the ANR on your headset should be using any power from the HT's batteries unless your configuration is very "non-standard"???
I'm pretty sure my SoftComm ANR uses power off the panel, or the intercom/radio. It certainly doesn't have a battery box.

Ryan

I'm pretty sure my SoftComm ANR uses power off the panel, or the intercom/radio. It certainly doesn't have a battery box.

Interesting. I looked at their website and they're drawing from the radio's "bias voltage". Same thing that powers the electric microphones common these days.

Yup, that'd kill HT batteries quickly. I bet that thing draws double or more of the current usually required to run a microphone. ;)

Sorry, I didn't know anyone was doing that on their ANR headsets. :thumbsup:

It would be interesting to see if it's drawing power from the intercom or the HT. That would be easy to check. In theory, it could be done either way... the intercom could block or pass the HTs bias voltage, and if it blocked it, provide its own for the mics (and apparently ANRs) plugged into it.

Does your ANR work if you plug it into the intercom alone and the HT is off?

I think I'd want it that way -- keep the electrons in the radio for when they're needed, all you'd have to do is patch the headset straight into the radio if the intercom batteries died.

Quick Google research brought me to this website though, which is fascinating. I wonder if he has A&P sign-offs for that antenna farm on his Skylane...

http://www.omen.com/f/avradio.html

I've done Amateur Radio aeronautical mobile, but we kept the antennas inside the aircraft. We went up in the comfy Skylane and chatted to folks willing to climb Colorado's 14,000' MSL or higher peaks...

http://14er.org/

We completely isolated the aircraft radio system and the Amateur gear so I could concentrate on flying the aircraft and dad ran the Amateur rigs. We even isolated the power systems, and loaded a very large sealed-lead-acid battery (like the kind you see in room-sized UPS systems) under the rear seat. The antennas were on a steel plate fabricated out of an old GE MASTR II mobile radio's cover, used as an RF ground-plane, which was lashed down in the baggage area.

So, what handhelds do people like or recommend? I don't really need NAV functions - I've got a GPS. I like the scanning and wx radio I have on the A22 and wouldn't like to give that up.

I have an A23 and for the past few years I've been using exclusively my A14 ICOM. It's got a 2000mAh battery that lasts forever between charges and it's radio performance is as good as anything. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of those that'll let you fly an ILS but it's also $200. I've literally had it on from 9am until 6pm used in administering aerobatic contests and never had an issue with it.

p.s. This guy has a 337'ed installation of a Kenwood D700 mobile radio, with the remote head controls clip-mounted to the right side yoke in his Bonanza, and an appropriate band antenna mounted to the belly from Colbham, and the whole thing interfaced to the GPS for APRS tracking and into the intercom for hands-free operation from the headset.

http://www.aviator.cc/bonanza/b35.pdf

That'd be kinda nice to have all that done. :)

Hard to beat AA's especially if its an emergency backup, throw it in your flight bag and wait for an electrical failure kind of thing. I've got an old sporty's with the AA pack, the shelf life is forever but its like talking into a size 14 shoe.

Tim, are you on the Red board? I just saw a post from a guy here in Lawrenceville selling an A24 for $190 + shipping in the classifieds.

I picked up aftermarket 2000mAh NiMH battery for my A22. See if icom will fix the antenna mount. I've had my A22 since 1998, I use it every weekend, glider club, and I'm on my 3rd od 4th battery.

I bought recently Vertex VXA 220. Using it to get ATIS and call for fuel.
Pros: really small, really loud speaker, inexpensive, AA battery pack.
Cons: UI is far from being intuitive.
As a side note - I had a strange problem with it. Freq stored in the memory didn't work, however the same freq dialed in VFO mode worked just fine. Sent HT back to Vertex for repair. They didn't find any problem, stored couple freq I use mostly in the memory and shipped back. Works no problem. I stored couple more freq after that - no problem.

I've got an Icom A6 with NiMH battery. I've been very happy with it, but transmit battery performance can be pretty poor. Does anyone have the A6 or the A24 with LiON batteries, and how do you like it?

I've had a Vertex VXA-710 for a couple of years. It's compact and matches and shares chargers with the VX-7R amateur radio handheld I also have. One strong plus for the 710 is the Li-I battery which gives 16-20 hours of receive. The only negatives I've found are the size which makes it harder to adjust when I'm flying and the fact the the headset dongle screws into the radio. That makes a solid connection, but it's a pain to put on and take off and I use the radio as a scanner at home more than I do as a com in the Chief, otherwise I'd just attach it and leave it there. I like the looks of the new Sporty's unit, but I could buy two 710's for the price of the Sporty's with a rechargeable pack.

Back