Time for a new Handheld Trasceiver..... Suggestions?

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
My old ICOM handheld transceiver lasted for 20 years, so I can't complain, but........ time for a new one. I'd like to hear your suggestions as to what to get, and why, pros and cons, approx price (if you know), etc. This will be primarily for personal use and back-up while aviating in my Cherokee Six. Thanks!

I would suggest getting one that has an antenna connector that is compatible with putting the antenna in the aircraft window with a suction cup mount (or even better, an external antenna mounted on the outside of the aircraft). I think that gives better coverage if you're using it while airborne, especially if the window used is on the side toward the station you're trying to communicate with. (The suction cup mounts I've seen use BNC connectors.)

I have a Vertex Standard VXA-220 Pro VI Transceiver, which seems to work fine, when I use it, which isn't too often.

Identify requirements
Prioritize requirements
Identify unit that meets must have requirements
Search for consumer feed back to ensure selection will work as advertised
Look for a bargain

Almost forgot - walk away if too good to be true

Last edited:
My first handheld was a BK KX99, a tank in weight and abuse. I currently have an ICOM A23 I've had since they cam out. I've used it a couple of times in the air, but just the radio, not the VOR. An added extra that I am not sure is practical anyway.
If you had good luck with ICOM, why not just get another.

I've got the Vertex mentioned above.

I don't think it's ever been used. In fact, I don't carry it or take it with me.

I'm sure it has the potential to be useful, but I haven't had it yet.

My old ICOM handheld transceiver lasted for 20 years, so I can't complain, but........ time for a new one. I'd like to hear your suggestions as to what to get, and why, pros and cons, approx price (if you know), etc. This will be primarily for personal use and back-up while aviating in my Cherokee Six. Thanks!
I have the Vertex VXA-300. Great little unit. It has the VOR/Nav function with CDI. I've dropped it several times onto concrete and asphalt and it still works perfectly, a very tough radio. I just did a search and Mypilotstore has a pretty good deal where you get a lighter cord and an alkaline battery case for free (wish I had got those).

My first handheld was a BK KX99, a tank in weight and abuse. I currently have an ICOM A23 I've had since they cam out. I've used it a couple of times in the air, but just the radio, not the VOR. An added extra that I am not sure is practical anyway.
If you had good luck with ICOM, why not just get another.

There's still an RF adapter with bayonet plugs inline under our panel on the pilot's side to hook one of those BK's to the Com 2 antenna... Thing is probably more a liability than useful at this point. Bayonet connections for RF... thought I'd seen it all..l

Back