Time Flies

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The double photo goes back about 8 years. The young man was ferrying my plane from 08B to IWI, about 7nm. At the time he was either enrolled at ERAU(Florida) or was soon to be, full scholarship via USAF-ROTC. Time surely does fly, as has he. He was ferrying GA planes coast to coast before he had a Maine automobile driver's license.

He just telephoned me and will be borrowing my plane to take a lady friend and his parents for a flight on Tuesday. Sometime during next week he and I will go flying. He now has about 2500 hours in his Log book(s). USAF Captain Joel Leveille has 2000 of those hours in KC-135; working off the payback he still "owes" the USAF about six years. After that? He's yet to decide.

Gee; I remember sitting in the building at little old Merrymeeting Airport 08B and seeing 4065 Victor -- my first flight experience -- grease into the gravel over turf runway. The old-timers(regulars) sitting around the table smiled and nodded agreement with the airport owner's comment, "That kid will go far." Joel was about 14 at the time.
When a Junior at ERAU he was one of 50 out of 625 applicants(I think I'm remembering correctly) to be awarded "an Air Force Pilot's seat" when commencement was to arrive. The 2nd photo was other training prior to getting into the KC-135 duty.

HR

Attachments

• Joel, at 08B and IWI.JPG
    Joel, at 08B and IWI.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Joel's New Toy.JPG
    Joel's New Toy.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Back