Time Building Jobs

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
SWORDFISH SPOTTER PILOT WANTED... Pilot with high-wing airplane [ie.150,152] needed to spot swordfish around Avalon, Catalina Island, California during May thru October, mostly weekends with some midweek flying depending on weather. Pilot will receive 35% of the catch, Pilot also takes care of all fuel and aircraft costs. Helps if Pilot likes fishing and flying over water, will train Pilot to find and spot Swordfish if necessary. If interested contact Gary Konigsmark at CA/(310) 510-2611.

For those on the east coast...any day now there should be an ad or 2 in TaP for pilots to fly sight seeing and SEL VFR part 135 (both in 172s) out of Kitty Hawk and at least one other place at the outer banks.

Len

I was thinking...instead of the 150/152 for the fish spotter job if a Cub or similar on floats wouldn't be better. Hmmm, possibly would need amphibs if there wasn't a good place to operate a straight float plane.

Len

So basically they're saying "Fly for Fish"...

Neat idea, I suppose, unless you're allergic to seafood.

Like me...

Wonder what "35% of the catch" has added up to in the past? A C150/152 is fairly cheap to operate, relatively speaking.

Greebo said:
So basically they're saying "Fly for Fish"...

Chuck,

I think they mean you get 35% of the proceeds of the catch not 35 out of every 100 acctual fish.

Len

You read it your way, I'll read it mine. :) I don't like the idea of a bunch of sword-fish heads in the back of our club plane! :)

I don't know. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Anthony said:
I don't know. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Anthony,

You're just bummed 'cause they didn't want a Tiger Shark spotter and they specifically specified high wing plane.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

You're just bummed 'cause they didn't want a Tiger Shark spotter and they specifically specified high wing plane.

Len
Can the Tiger fly inverted? :D

Len Lanetti said:
I was thinking...instead of the 150/152 for the fish spotter job if a Cub or similar on floats wouldn't be better. Hmmm, possibly would need amphibs if there wasn't a good place to operate a straight float plane.

Len

Floats won't do you any good unless you get right in the lee of an island. Best plane I set up for that job was a 180hp CS prop 172 taildragger with long range tanks, tip tanks & luggage tank. i.e. 11 hrs fuel. Amphibs weigh too much unless you have a 185 or bigger, and even then you trade too much for them in this job, plus you can't operate it profitably in this job. If they offered the same deal tuna spotting OTOH...

Brian Austin said:
Wonder what "35% of the catch" has added up to in the past? A C150/152 is fairly cheap to operate, relatively speaking.

Depends on the catch limits. Basically, if you're lucky and the boat crew isn't smoking too much crack (that would be a rare day as well my friend) you might make $25 a week more than if you were doing flight instruction in the same plane. I other words, it's a really crappy deal, pipeline with the same plane will pay nearly 3 times as much and be much steadier.

Henning said:
Depends on the catch limits. Basically, if you're lucky and the boat crew isn't smoking too much crack (that would be a rare day as well my friend) you might make $25 a week more than if you were doing flight instruction in the same plane. I other words, it's a really crappy deal, pipeline with the same plane will pay nearly 3 times as much and be much steadier.
What exactly HAVEN'T you done, Henning?! :D

Someday, I want your life story...

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

Len

True. Sounds like fun except for the Cessna part. :) I once saw a guy bring a Tiger Shark in off of Cape May point. It was huge! I thought to myself, I'm swimming with that? Then "Jaws" came out that summer.

And Brian, you know Ron L. would kill me if I rolled that thing inverted!

Anthony said:
And Brian, you know Ron L. would kill me if I rolled that thing inverted!
LOL! Yeah, I know. Just funnin' with ya.

He's the one that has me seriously considering the Tiger myself. I just don't like its short field performance...but I'm not sure it's really critical in my case.

Brian Austin said:
What exactly HAVEN'T you done, Henning?! :D

Someday, I want your life story...

Anything to make a buck, basically an equipment operator with photographer thrown in. I specialize in those things other people say "I ain't doin that, too dangerous" since I get to charge an extra buck for doing it. As to my life story... I decline to answer that on the grounds I might incriminate myself... :dance:

Brian Austin said:
LOL! Yeah, I know. Just funnin' with ya.

He's the one that has me seriously considering the Tiger myself. I just don't like its short field performance...but I'm not sure it's really critical in my case.

That's always the problem with limited HP and fixed pitch props, if you want speed, you trade either capacity or T/O performance.

Len Lanetti said:
SWORDFISH SPOTTER PILOT WANTED... Pilot with high-wing airplane [ie.150,152] needed to spot swordfish around Avalon, Catalina Island, California during May thru October, mostly weekends with some midweek flying depending on weather. Pilot will receive 35% of the catch, Pilot also takes care of all fuel and aircraft costs. Helps if Pilot likes fishing and flying over water, will train Pilot to find and spot Swordfish if necessary. If interested contact Gary Konigsmark at CA/(310) 510-2611.

For those on the east coast...any day now there should be an ad or 2 in TaP for pilots to fly sight seeing and SEL VFR part 135 (both in 172s) out of Kitty Hawk and at least one other place at the outer banks.

Len

Couple of things here, that is an Avalon Phone #, so if you are planning to relocate, ask if he provides housing and the airport fee, if not, you will lose your shirt. All maint and fuel will have to be OT (Over Town) typically LGB since there are no services available on the island (I lived there for 2 years). Avalon has (or used to have) the distinction of the highest liquor license density in CA, 27 in 1 square mile. It's a party town full of Pirates, beware.

Henning said:
Avalon has (or used to have) the distinction of the highest liquor license density in CA, 27 in 1 square mile. It's a party town full of Pirates, beware.

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. May be the ONLY reason for taking the job. :)

Tiger short field performance - When I live in PA I operated out of a 2,700 ft, obstructed field at gross weight in the summer with no problem. I flew in AND out of fields as short as 2,200 ft. but a lighter weights. It ain't no bush plane though, that is for sure, and I keep mine on paved strips, although other Grumman guys do grass.

P.S. Arrrrgh maties.

Anthony said:
Tiger short field performance - When I live in PA I operated out of a 2,700 ft, obstructed field at gross weight in the summer with no problem. I flew in AND out of fields as short as 2,200 ft. but a lighter weights. It ain't no bush plane though, that is for sure, and I keep mine on paved strips, although other Grumman guys do grass.
What DA is that typically?

Here in PHX, DA's can get VERY high in summer time. Deer Valley is at 1500MSL but can have a DA much, much higher than that. Sedona gets downright dangerous on a hot summer day.

MIA to Bogata

From the...

Henning said:
"I ain't doin that, too dangerous"

...school of thought

Yesterday I'm waint at Miami International for my commercial flight home to Philadelphia. I arrive at the airport about 3 hours before my flight and there is a flight to Bogata using the gate. There are four guys near me waiting for the trip to Bogata.

They are ag pilot types as near as I can figure. I figure this mainly 'cause they are talking about the accident report one of their buddies just made to the FAA.

Pilot 1 "I told him to keep it simple."

Pilot 2 "Yea I know, four pages, can you belive that."

Pilot 3 "He even showed them the math to prove that he should have missed the tree."

Then they start talking about a spraying operation where they fly low level formation. I'm thinking that they are talking about work that they are going to do in Bogata.

Pilot 1 "I'm not flying any lower than the spoters head."

Pilot 2 "Yea and watch out for so-and-so. You know those military guys. They don't like something and they are out of there (imagine pilot doing the flying hands thing where so-and-so cuts in front of someone else in the formation)."

Anyway, Henning, I thought one of the guys looked like your picture. I guess it isn't you if your available to fly from OH to Boston.

Len

Think Mooney

Brian Austin said:
He's the one that has me seriously considering the Tiger myself.

Faster Than a Tiger

Cooler with retractable landing gear

Able to leap from runways with a constant speed prop

Disguessed as a mild mannered 4 seater

It's Super Mooney.

M20E...along with M20C and M20G some of the best buys in 4 seaters.

:<)

Len

Brian Austin said:
What DA is that typically?

Here in PHX, DA's can get VERY high in summer time. Deer Valley is at 1500MSL but can have a DA much, much higher than that. Sedona gets downright dangerous on a hot summer day.

Brian. I am very familiar with DA. I live in the Denver area now and my home field elevation is 5,500 ft. When flying from the east at 6,500 ft, I didn't have to change altitude to enter the pattern. :) I've heard DA over 9,000 ft at my home airport at higher temps. Flying out of Leadville or Teluride in the summer has got to be interesting!

Back in PA in the summer with temps in the mid 80's F at a field elevation of 526 ft, do the math. I don't have conversion charts handy, or my Sporty's electronic E6B with the dead batteries. Prolly 2,500 ft or so???

Len Lanetti said:

Len

You can put a 152 on floats if you wanted, and there's probably bunches more of them around.

Anthony said:
Hmmm. Sounds interesting. May be the ONLY reason for taking the job. :)

P.S. Arrrrgh maties.

No problems, Lears and Citations fly in and out of AVX.

Re: MIA to Bogata

Len Lanetti said:
From the...

...school of thought

Yesterday I'm waint at Miami International for my commercial flight home to Philadelphia. I arrive at the airport about 3 hours before my flight and there is a flight to Bogata using the gate. There are four guys near me waiting for the trip to Bogata.

They are ag pilot types as near as I can figure. I figure this mainly 'cause they are talking about the accident report one of their buddies just made to the FAA.

Pilot 1 "I told him to keep it simple."

Pilot 2 "Yea I know, four pages, can you belive that."

Pilot 3 "He even showed them the math to prove that he should have missed the tree."

Then they start talking about a spraying operation where they fly low level formation. I'm thinking that they are talking about work that they are going to do in Bogata.

Pilot 1 "I'm not flying any lower than the spoters head."

Pilot 2 "Yea and watch out for so-and-so. You know those military guys. They don't like something and they are out of there (imagine pilot doing the flying hands thing where so-and-so cuts in front of someone else in the formation)."

Anyway, Henning, I thought one of the guys looked like your picture. I guess it isn't you if your available to fly from OH to Boston.

Len

Nope, not me, I won't take that gig anymore, it's just a deal for the CIA & Cartel that just controls who can make the money on the coca and who can't. They're selectively defoliating coca fields with diluted Roundup so they don't kill the trees, just the current batch of leaves. You either get to fly the Thrush with AH-1 support or the OV-10 with no gunship support.

Brian Austin said:

Herring season 2004 in south east Ak. for MV Milky Way was $600,000. the spotter takes 15%

The 150/2 does not carry enought fuel to lotter on target long enought to do the job, and with it's 1600 pound maxgross you can't carry aux tanks.

The favored fish spotter aircraft for herring is the 150 horse supercub. With the 2000 pound gross weight kit, long range tanks, aux belly tank, and a baggage tank too. 8 hours lotter time.

The main job of the Spotter is not to find fish, but to tell the boat skipper where the net hazzards are, and to help with the direction of the drag.

Rip the net and you loose the season.

Entry Level Jobs in TaP

Just have to be "typed" in the mighty 152 heavy for this one:
50 YEAR OLD AERIAL photography company is looking for pilot to shoot aerial photography. We train. Must have at least 300 hours in Type 152 Cessna. Must be free to travel. Work from May until November. Salary & incentive bonus. Paid Travel expenses. Send resume or information letter to: State Aerial, 1752 Broadway, Toledo, OH 43609.

GREAT TIME-BUILDER, TOUR & charter on the ocean. Kitty Hawk Aero Tours, NC/(252) 441-8687.

JUMP PILOT WANTED. Apr- Nov 2005. Need: 500-hr, comm, jump pilot experience. Free housing. Finger Lakes Skydivers. Johnking@fltg.net NY/(607) 869-5601.

BANNER TOW. LOG UP TO 600-700+ hrs. during our summer season at Myrtle Beach. Call Sky Signs at SC/(843) 397-3633. http://www.sky-signs.net

Back