Tim streamlined my Wings documentation very well

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
I printed out the seaplane specific task sheets that Tim Metzinger directed me to on the FAA's site and had my two different CFIIs sign them off after doing the tasks in a float equiped SuperCub.

The brief documentation process was painless thanks to Tim. The low level seaplane flights were a real blast as expected, especially the confined area LDGs & Take Offs over obstacles and of course the step taxiing. It gets off the water fast.

We did a lot of step taxiing in partial preparation for my own pre-flight testing of the STOL amphibion. For left hand step turns in the SuperCub, the left turning forces of the airplane alone were more than enough to turn it left, even with neutral rudder. I made videos of them all and will try to get them posted someday.

Now I'm waiting by the mailbox for my souveneer wings to arrive. I am disappointed that they will not have a little anchor on them like the old ones though.

Ah, thanks for your testimony Dave! And remember, as a CFI, you should be able to validate stuff for your students too!

Ah, thanks for your testimony Dave! And remember, as a CFI, you should be able to validate stuff for your students too!

Well, that was FAAST... (less than 2 weeks) thanks again, Tim. The insurance discounts outlined in the letter* below that Avemco gives should be of interest to some pilots.

We did the first flight of these seaplane wings in MVFR in order to take advantage of rough seas that were still within the SuperCub's operating limitations. The rough water conditions practice was well worth it even though we had to come back on another day to do normal landings.

On a nice day, Wings participants could easily do all tasks in one flight.

* Oct. 22, 2008

Dear DAVID,

Congratulations on completing the Basic phase of the FAA WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program!

In recognition of this notable accomplishment, we proudly present you with this handsome lapel pin. We hope you’ll wear it as a sign of your commitment to aviation safety and your success as a WINGS participant.

The pin is a gift from all of us at Avemco Insurance Company — a FAASTeam Industry Member working with the FAA to promote safer flying. For more than 45 years, Avemco® has been a leader in general aviation aircraft insurance deeply committed to supporting safety education programs for pilots like you.

To help foster a safer flying environment, Avemco has developed the Safety Rewards Program that provides up to 10% in annual premium credit for policyholders. This two part program, knowledge and flight training, includes participation in WINGS-approved knowledge courses or seminars worth at least ONE (1)full WINGS credit, and 5% in annual premium credit for those who take Avemco-recognized flight training that includes WINGS-approved training. It’s our way of rewarding pilots for making safety a priority.

As a pilot who has already demonstrated dedication to flight safety, we tip our wings to you and hope you’ll always fly safe and wear your WINGS proudly!

Sincerely,
download

James A. Lauerman
President
Avemco Insurance Company

P.S. For more information on Avemco’s Safety Rewards Program — or our comprehensive insurance offerings for GA aircraft owners and pilots, including homebuilts, light-sport aircraft, products for renters and borrowers, flying clubs, CFI owners, plus Avemco Insurance Agency, Inc’s owned hangar and term life insurance offerings — we welcome you to call us at 800-353-9089 or visit up online at www.avemco.com. Again … congratulations!

Avemco Insurance Company and Avemco Insurance Agency, Inc. collectively market under the service mark Avemco. Avemco Insurance Company insures general aviation aircraft and pilots and does not underwrite the hangar or term life insurance products. Term life insurance policies offered through this program are provided to qualified applicants through the Avemco Insurance Agency, Inc. and are underwritten by A.M. Best “A+” (Superior) or better rated carriers who specialize in life insurance products. Hangar insurance policies offered through this program are provided to qualified applicants through the Avemco Insurance Agency, Inc. and are underwritten by St. Paul Travelers Insurance Company through the National Hangar Insurance Program., Avemco Insurance Agency, Inc. CA #0E63427. Policies may not be available in all states – please call for details.

Last edited:
Back