Tiki Beach Bar airstrip, Crystal Beach TX (Bolivar Peninsula)

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Visited some friends at their beach house on Bolivar Peninsula just across the ferry from Galveston this weekend. My host told me that he sometimes sees planes parked near the road by a local restaurant, so we drove down to scope it out.

Popped in and chatted with the owner / manager / someone who seemed to know what's up, and he said the strip is part of the restaurant property, 1800' long, and is open to the public. We drove down part of it to gauge the condition, and there are remnants of pavement from the past, but it seemed okay. We didn't notice any potholes or soft spots. Grass alongside was well-tended. (There are no lights, so this is strictly a daytime/VFR sorta place.)

Anyone ever flown in here before? Any PIREPs on the runway conditions or the restaurant?

Next time I'm invited for a visit, I might take the plane instead of waiting in line for the ferry with all the other weekenders.

Map: https://goo.gl/kgzIUH
Note that there are several nearby terrain features that look almost as much like a runway as the actual runway. On the map, the runway is to the left/west of the restaurant; the broken whitish streak is the remaining pavement. The mowed rectangular area to the lower left / southwest is where I would park. There are no tiedowns.

Last edited:
Isn't this the place that was pretty much wiped clean about 5 years ago in a hurricane? There wasn't a house standing or a street without 2' of sand on it.

Yes, this area was hit hard by Hurricane Ike back in 2008. The photos you're thinking of with lots wiped clean were taken at Gilchrist just a few miles NE of Crystal Beach. The biggest remaining sign of the hurricane is the occasional huge 100-year-old oak tree that's dead, with only its giant, leafless, lifeless limbs sticking up into the air. Most other stuff's long since either been torn down or rebuilt.

Back