Tijuana question

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I'm down in San Diego for a while. When I was stationed here as a Marine in the 60s I took my car down to TJ to get the seats recovered. They did a bangup job for few bucks.

I have an older plane that is covered by CAR 3 where the interior fabric only has to meet flash resistance. Modern automotive interior materials meet this requirement. I'm thinking of obtaining the material here in the US and taking my seats to TJ to be recovered. Has anyone done this? I'd sure like to hear about it if so.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

I'm down in San Diego for a while. When I was stationed here as a Marine in the 60s I took my car down to TJ to get the seats recovered. They did a bangup job for few bucks.

I have an older plane that is covered by CAR 3 where the interior fabric only has to meet flash resistance. Modern automotive interior materials meet this requirement. I'm thinking of obtaining the material here in the US and taking my seats to TJ to be recovered. Has anyone done this? I'd sure like to hear about it if so.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Make sure you get the paperwork with the material showing the flame retardness and give to your A&P to add with the paperwork.

FWIW, buying "bulk material" from a company like Airtex is usually cheaper than purchasing through an automotive shop. And Airtex will supply the correct paperwork.

Airtex will give you a free sample catalog and price sheet upon request.

The last time I bought bulk material from Airtex I did not get a burn cert with it. They do give you one if you buy a carpet kit or what have you. Just don't with bulk. YMMV
Ron

The last time I bought bulk material from Airtex I did not get a burn cert with it. They do give you one if you buy a carpet kit or what have you. Just don't with bulk. YMMV
Ron

You have to specifically request it. I bought some about a year ago and they sent it separately.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Use genuine leather and wool. It exceeds the CAR 3 requirements. and sign it off IAW FAR 43-A (c) item 9

You can just buy the materials that meet the requirement and have a auto interior shop do the work locally. That way you can go back to them if anything doesn't wear correctly or needs modification. Besides the better Mexican workers are on this side of the border anyways.

Back