Tightwad

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

My dishwasher of 20 years bit the dust, went six feet under, gave up the ghost, and assumed room temperature.

I set out to purchase a new dishwasher, remembering that I had paid around $200 for it.

Much to my surprise, the cheapest dishwasher I could find was $450 and the one compareable to my old one started at $699.

The idea of not buying a dishwasher is problematic because it leaves no place for our electric skillet. This means my wife is forced to place the electric skillet under her CD/Radio that is mounted to the bottom of the cupboard and the grease splatters up into the CD/Radio.

Now, she has no dishwasher, and is ruining her CD/Radio. That works out to mean no Laura and no Rush.

So, I calculated the cost of dishwashing soap, the cost of the radio, and figured in a kitchen cabinet for $120. I set out to Walmart and found a kitchen cabinet, made in China, but not assembled. I would be the "Made in America" component.

After 3 hours, two cups of coffee, and the help of my wife and dog, the finished product appeared.

Now, we wash and dry dishes together, solve the world's problems, and enjoy saving $600.

Terry :D

Attachments

• Before Project_1.jpg
    Before Project_1.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 49
  • After Project.JPG
    After Project.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 59
Hi All,

My dishwasher of 20 years bit the dust, went six feet under, gave up the ghost, and assumed room temperature.

I set out to purchase a new dishwasher, remembering that I had paid around $200 for it.

Much to my surprise, the cheapest dishwasher I could find was $450 and the one compareable to my old one started at $699.

The idea of not buying a dishwasher is problematic because it leaves no place for our electric skillet. This means my wife is forced to place the electric skillet under her CD/Radio that is mounted to the bottom of the cupboard and the grease splatters up into the CD/Radio.

Now, she has no dishwasher, and is ruining her CD/Radio. That works out to mean no Laura and no Rush.

So, I calculated the cost of dishwashing soap, the cost of the radio, and figured in a kitchen cabinet for $120. I set out to Walmart and found a kitchen cabinet, made in China, but not assembled. I would be the "Made in America" component.

After 3 hours, two cups of coffee, and the help of my wife and dog, the finished product appeared.

Now, we wash and dry dishes together, solve the world's problems, and enjoy saving $600.

Terry :D

I'd count myself ahead and call it a day.

I'd rather fly a Cessna 150 with Orson Welles in the left seat than wash dishes by hand....but I'm glad it worked out for you.

BTW: Don't ever, ever, ever buy a Maytag dishwasher. We bought three of them for our hotel in Iowa, and they ALL broke, in exactly the same way, within a month. We recently picked up an all-electronic Whirlpool that has been excellent, thus far.

Bosch for the win.

We went through a couple of GE washers, but the vinyl or rubber coated racks got nicked and rusted out. We also had to replace a pump and a water valve solenoid. They were good for 3-5 years at best.

The Bosch is all stainless inside & out, nylon coated racks, and is 11 years old and still going strong. And it's QUIET. And there's no heating element in the bottom, so even the non dishwasher safe plastic stuff can go in the bottom rack if you want. I expect it to last twice as long or better. It should, considering it cost 2-3 times what the plastic ones did, but still... SO nice not to worry about (or hear) the dishwasher.

I'd rather fly a Cessna 150 with Orson Welles in the left seat than wash dishes by hand....but I'm glad it worked out for you.

BTW: Don't ever, ever, ever buy a Maytag dishwasher. We bought three of them for our hotel in Iowa, and they ALL broke, in exactly the same way, within a month. We recently picked up an all-electronic Whirlpool that has been excellent, thus far.

That's very strange since Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company and except for minor ornamentation differences on the outside, the units are IDENTICAL between the two companies. Maytag now owns the Whirlpool, Amana, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, and a few other brands.

My last one was a stainless Bosch and it did a great job. The new ones are very quite, too. I like having a dishwasher. I rinse and stack and then run it about once a week. Very convenient.

Our GE is going on 15yrs now - still runs fine. But the rack are all rusting out. The cost of replacement racks is way too high, might as well buy another d/w instead.

Our GE is going on 15yrs now - still runs fine. But the rack are all rusting out. The cost of replacement racks is way too high, might as well buy another d/w instead.
That's where we were at. We decided to quit buying cheap ones, and have been very happy that we did.

That's where we were at. We decided to quit buying cheap ones, and have been very happy that we did.

We have the Hobart LXI4H. 2 minutes a load. 200 degree sterilizing rinse. Commercial power and reliability. We love it.

3% average inflation will do that.

If you're not getting a 3% raise every year plus any additional taxes due for the raise, you're making less money this year than last year.

That's how the central banking circus show works. It's all relative.

Why was it a surprise?

We have the Hobart LXI4H. 2 minutes a load. 200 degree sterilizing rinse. Commercial power and reliability. We love it.
I wasn't able to find a price on one, but if it says Hobart on the front I suspect the decimal point is about one more digit to the right than I'd like.

I wasn't able to find a price on one, but if it says Hobart on the front I suspect the decimal point is about one more digit to the right than I'd like.

New they're about $5K. Used you can find them around $1500. I just bought a used one from an ice cream shop that went out of business less than a year after it opened. They are the same size as a regular dishwasher except about 2" deeper. It does require a 50 amp 1 phase 220 circuit, but otherwise simple to install.

Why have one? Host a dinner party, do all the cooking dishes faster than you can load them before anyone arrives. After dinner, the dishes are done before the last guest pulls out of the driveway. Which means you are in bed with a clean kitchen before they get home.

The thing is fricken awesome.

3% average inflation will do that.

If you're not getting a 3% raise every year plus any additional taxes due for the raise, you're making less money this year than last year.

That's how the central banking circus show works. It's all relative.

Why was it a surprise?

I am not related to the Central Banking Circus. :D

Seriously, here at home is only my wife and I. We enjoy spending time together and I just tried to make a little humor.

We really don't need a dishwasher and when I consider the cost, I would rather have the money to spend on other things.

Terry

I am not related to the Central Banking Circus. :D

Seriously, here at home is only my wife and I. We enjoy spending time together and I just tried to make a little humor.

We really don't need a dishwasher and when I consider the cost, I would rather have the money to spend on other things.

Terry

I hear ya then. Understand.

I've had friends lamenting and truly being surprised that the prices of things have gone up since they last shopped for some big ticket item.

This also makes the decline in aircraft prices even more amazing, if you think about it. They're not only declining at high percentages, but one must note that the money used to purchase them is worth roughly 3% less every year.

Interesting, isn't it?

I have a 20-year-old GE that is doing fine. But I will admit to only using it about once a week when it fills up. :redface:

Kenmore. Enough said.

Do not buy anything LG. Over priced and cheaply made. Poor design.

I bought a Bosch dishwasher from Sears about five years ago, along with a Sears extended warranty. It was not cheap, but I figured it was a whole lot cheaper than having a wife. Both turned out to be worthless. The washer lasted less than three months when it started leaking all over my floor. No problem thought I.

It took two months and six trips from Sears repair people to fix it, which included a new motherboard and all new seals. I lost six days from work waiting for their repair people.

The washer lasted a little over a week, before it flooded my kitchen again. I turned off the water to it and now use it for storing dirty dishes that I wash by hand once a week.

-John

Last edited:
There's always the redneck dishwasher...

redneck_dishwasher.jpg

I have three dishwashers:
An 18 year old,
A 16 year old,
and a 14 year old.

Mine even cut the grass and take out the garbage. Of course, they cost me a ton of food...

I have three dishwashers:
An 18 year old,
A 16 year old,
and a 14 year old.

Mine even cut the grass and take out the garbage. Of course, they cost me a ton of food...
Well, that will all change before long. Except the part about them costing you a ton of food, that seems to keep going for quite a while after the dish washing stops.

LOL... :lol: when I first started reading this thread, I thought you owned a restaurant, a guy who worked for you (for 20 years) died, and you were buying an electric one to replace him... LOL...:lol:

Terry if you were a true tightwad you would of unplugged the dishwasher and kept it where it was saving you from the cost of the cabinet but still allowing a place for the electric skillet.

we hardly get any dishes cleaned with our dishwasher, i can't imagine what a mess our kitchen would be if we were supposedly going to wash all them by hand. hell thats what we end up doing most of the time anyway, one bowl at a time.

Our first house had neither a dishwasher nor a good place in the kitchen to put one. Worked out fine until we had guests over for dinner or the weekend. Then I spent the whole time washing dishes. But you really don't need a dishwasher at all if you're a social outcast, to be certain.

Our first house had neither a dishwasher nor a good place in the kitchen to put one. Worked out fine until we had guests over for dinner or the weekend. Then I spent the whole time washing dishes. But you really don't need a dishwasher at all if you're a social outcast, to be certain.

That explains it, I own a house in a residential neighborhood in San Diego, I'm probably the only property owner in town who has his property posted.

I don't even want my mailman on my land, so I put up a rural type mailbox.

I am a complete social outcast. I hate having to be getting up out of my chair, opening my door and saying hello. I hooked a fax machine up to my land line and tossed my answering machine. I haven't had to answer my phone in over two years. People I might want to talk to have my cell phone number. I like my cell phone, it lets me know who is calling before I answer it, if I answer it.

I wash the dishes I use and that is it. Well, every other week when the scrubber woman comes, she leaves me a coffee cup I have to wash. By the time she comes back, I'm over it.

I was kidding about having my land posted, it isn't.

When I was younger, people would stop by all the time and just hang out. I even had a few wimmins live with me now and then over the years, even more people would show up. When my kids lived with me, the house was a zoo.

At my age, it is just rare when my peers want to drop by, however it did happen just recently, which kind of surprised me, and I did seem to enjoy it.

I do consider myself a social outcast though, hardly any dishes to wash. I usually eat frozen dinners and just toss the plastic tray. I had a lady friend getting sorta close until I explained to her I've been living alone too long, and am now spoiled rotten. Doing whatever you want, whenever you want, without any looks or interference, sort of grows on you after a while.

My only fear is having a stroke or something, I'd be sh*t out of luck. When I get a little older, I might have to pay one of the neighbors to check up on me now and then, but not yet. I fly, exercise, eat like an idiot..It'll be a bit longer.

-John

Allison Hayes was found dead last year. She was a B-movie actress most famously enlarged in The Attack of the 50-foot Woman. The late Mrs. Hayes was found mummified in her house. What struck me was the statement by the coroner that finding mummified corpses was not at all uncommon in LA.

Allison Hayes was found dead last year. She was a B-movie actress most famously enlarged in The Attack of the 50-foot Woman. The late Mrs. Hayes was found mummified in her house. What struck me was the statement by the coroner that finding mummified corpses was not at all uncommon in LA.

really? she died at the University of California Medical Center in San Diego in 1977...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Hayes

really? she died at the University of California Medical Center in San Diego in 1977...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Hayes

See, now this is just another example of a great story getting completely destroyed the nit picking facts. Myself, I prefer the stories.

We grew up with stories; "Mom, tell me a story and I'll let you alone and go to sleep." Our teachers told us stories, we sat in bar rooms listening to great stories, heck we even spend money on books full of stories. Our whole lives it's been about the stories we've heard.

Have you ever had a kid ask you to tell them the facts, then they'll go to sleep? Nobody gives a rats patooty about the facts. If someone tells us a good story, we will tell others the same story, embellished of course, to suit our own tastes.

If someone tells as a great fact, we usually forget it within seconds. It has to be a really great fact before it's worth repeating. How the heck can you embellish the facts without turning the whole fact into a story?

Stories are great.

-John

Last edited:
Back